BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #23
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

When I had my whole car repainted I was told NOT to wax or use anything like that for 60 days. Personally I think it depends on the paint, and the paint job. Your best bet is to ask BMW and see what they say.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

The Griot's poeple probably know what they are talking about and I have heard great things about that company. I find when you call someone up and you say "I want to buy some of your products and use them" and they tell you"don't buy right now...wait" they are probalby telling you the real goods. If they did the reverse "buy more stuff..seal and wax the shit out of your car!" I might be concerned. Obviously there is nothing scientiific about that.
The only question I have is that the BMW dealer cleans the car and prep's it with wax before they sell them. Most car we are getting come with wax on them so isn't the "damage" Griot's is talking about aleady done?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #25
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I was told that my dealer only washes the car - they do not wax it.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #26
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
The Griot's poeple probably know what they are talking about and I have heard great things about that company. I find when you call someone up and you say "I want to buy some of your products and use them" and they tell you"don't buy right now...wait" they are probalby telling you the real goods. If they did the reverse "buy more stuff..seal and wax the shit out of your car!" I might be concerned. Obviously there is nothing scientiific about that.
The only question I have is that the BMW dealer cleans the car and prep's it with wax before they sell them. Most car we are getting come with wax on them so isn't the "damage" Griot's is talking about aleady done?

Exactly, I was told my my salesperson that they do wash and wax all the new BMW's they get...including M3's and M6's. /shrug, not sure what to think.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #27
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

I just talked to one of Griot's reps and she spoke to the others around her and they all said it was ok if it was new from the factory.. So the wheel keeps turning:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #28
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD911 View Post
I just talked to one of Griot's reps and she spoke to the others around her and they all said it was ok if it was new from the factory.. So the wheel keeps turning:iono:
Woman...:iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #29
EODGUY
1Addict's Mad Bomber
Rep
Drives:

LOL, I just looked up Griot's, and its 10 minutes from my house. Have the feeling I'll be spending more than a little time there once this deployments over.

*Traded in*
2008 135i/TiAg/Coral/6M/Sport/Ipod/Premium Audio/Heated seats
*Picked up 16 August, gone 21 September. Good ridance.*

1975 Jeep CJ-5
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
Being lazy has finally paid off!
+1
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #31
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

LOL

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #33
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Well really no firm answer from anyone, so this is what I'm going to do.

I called my dealer and told them to wash only...NO wax.

I ordered $350 in griots stuff yesterday.

I am going to get the car....take it to have the clear bra put on....take it home...seal it with Griots paint sealer and then put 2 coats of Best of show wax over that. Heck with it.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #34
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep

Katera...from what I have heard about Griots that was $350 well spent. A real car nut I work with that is into car show and shines says Griot's stuff is amazing. Looks great and nice to use. His 350Z looks amazing. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
Katera...from what I have heard about Griots that was $350 well spent. A real car nut I work with that is into car show and shines says Griot's stuff is amazing. Looks great and nice to use. His 350Z looks amazing. Enjoy!

Ah thanks. I bought a "starter" pack a few weeks ago and tried it out on my wife's new 08 accord. Everything worked great. The clay bar worked good <my first time using one>, the Best of show wax went on easy and came off reasonably well and looked awesome. My biggest surprise is the "speed shine". I don't know what's in that stuff but WOW, talk about quick with great results. If my car was to get a little dull and we were going out for the evening, I could speed shine the whole car in less then 5 minutes.

The main reason my bill was so high, was I bought their bucket, microfiber towels/cleaning mitts along with all the sealers and wax's. With a Jet Black car I was NOT going to compromise by buying Walmart micro fiber towels just to have them scratch and lint all over my new baby. :biggrin:

p.s. Right now they have 15% off your total order for fathers day! It saved me over $60.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #36
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am getting ready to but a bunch from Griot's also.. Anything that you got that you dont like?

P.S. Mine has some light swirl marks so I gotta tend to that also
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #37
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I am getting ready to but a bunch from Griot's also.. Anything that you got that you dont like?

P.S. Mine has some light swirl marks so I gotta tend to that also

If you have fine swirl marks and plan to seal the paint before you wax <good idea for car that gets driven even moderately>, then get the 1 step seal. It has their paint sealer + fine polish number 3 in it.

So Wash > 1 step seal > Best of show wax <I will be putting on 2 coats of BOS wax thanks to our uber hot summers>.

Nothing so far I would not buy again. The tire/rubber cleaner is not the "wet" look. It is more flat, but I like it better. I used it on my wifes tires and they looked brand spanking new..not fake wet. It also removed a big scuff mark from the right front from curb burn. As I mentioned above, speed shine is phenomenal. I can see using a LOT of that stuff. Smells good too and is Griots recommend lubricant for their clay bar. :biggrin:
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #38
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanx for the info.. was gonna do the number 4 polish then bos wax.. Do I need the sealant?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #39
FD911
Private
Rep
Drives:

Oh and what is a really great window cleaner? As everyone else does I hate the streaks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #40
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanx for the info.. was gonna do the number 4 polish then bos wax.. Do I need the sealant?

Sealant is up to you. It provides about a year of protection and BOS wax can be placed directly over it for even better protection and depth of color. If you have very fine faint swirls I would go...

Wash>Fine polish 4>Paint sealant>2 coats of BOS wax

This is what I will do if I get my JB Vert and they have introduced fine swirls in the paint after they wash it. I spoke to them today though and specifically requested NO WAX. A lot of dealers wash and wax the cars before they let you have it. I don't mind them getting all the glue off and washing it up, but I can't seal it if they wax it first. So if you do seal the car, make sure to tell them not to wax it when they detail it. I don't know what they use, but I bet it's crap wax anyway.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #41
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

Quote:
Oh and what is a really great window cleaner? As everyone else does I hate the streaks!!

the biggest thing is to NOT use paper towels, they streak like crazy. use a clean cotton/MF towel with no fabric softeners obviously.

target sells stuff called invisible glass that works well and you can get locally.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #42
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I spoke to them today though and specifically requested NO WAX. A lot of dealers wash and wax the cars before they let you have it. I don't mind them getting all the glue off and washing it up, but I can't seal it if they wax it first. So if you do seal the car, make sure to tell them not to wax it when they detail it. I don't know what they use, but I bet it's crap wax anyway.
i should have done the same and asked the dealer not to wax. when i picked it up there were streaks all over it, and white wax residue in cracks and corners. pain in the arse...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #43
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Which Griots wax is good for a new car thats not oxidized? Like say a new Alpine white 135i. I have 2 catalogs and have no idea what to order? So many items.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #44
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Get the paint sealant, and the Best of show wax.
Clay the car,..then Do paint sealant ,..then go over with a coat of Best of show!!!
You might also want to grab the clay bar and a bottle of Speed shine. The speed Shine is amazing. I found it actually removes bugs pretty well as long as they havent baked on.
Groits has great stuff,..but it aint cheap.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0