BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

New software-More lag?

I recently received the new updated software.

One positive is that I haven not experienced any long cranks for the past week since I picked it up.

Power seems the same, at least I haven't felt anything obvious, except the following.

Now, I don't remember if my 135i did this before the software as I don't remember distinctly trying this. It feels as if there is more lag, at higher rpms. Here's what I mean. Take the car up to speed in say 3rd gear and about 4k rpm. At this point we are pretty much in the power band.
Now ride the throttle to maintain that rpm, then floor it. I have a manual.
There is a distinct lag, where it feels as if the car first takes a breath then the turbo's spool and power comes on. It's not subtle, it's distinct.
I tried it in 4th as well, same thing.
I thought that maybe I was letting off the throttle too much, and letting the engine brake, thus the turbo's aren't fully spooled. So, I then just rode the throttle keeping revs moving slowly upward, then flooring it.
Lag is there.

As I said, I don't recall directly, but I do have a vague memory that I hadn't experienced this before the software update.
Low rpm power feels the same, so no additional lag felt there.
I'm wondering if this is in relation to the SES I got that translated into a fuel pressure issue? I took the car in a few days after the light appeared, and I know I didn't try this roll on test when the light came on.

This is a common thing with turbo's, but I just dont' remember feeling this much lag when flooring it at such a high rpm.
Can anyone else give this a try and let me know if their TT engine does this as well?

If others don't have this pronounced lag, then I'll take it back in and have BMW correct this. I've felt like I'm not getting 100% power for a few months now ever since I experience my first long cranks.
When I first got my 135i the shove in the back felt stronger. I was thinking that maybe I'm just getting used to the power, but I just don't feel that I've got 300lb ft at 2500rpm 4000rpm. If I had to put a number on it I'd say it feels like 40-50lb ft are missing.
My A4 had software and at speed at around 4k rpm, when I floored it it would give a good solid push.
That A4 was probably around 240-250lb ft at the crank, despite what APR claims.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-18-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
PositvPresur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Montego Blue

I had mine updated a few weeks ago and have noticed the same thing. I have an auto but I have noticed that the lag seems much more evident now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

I just picked my car up sporting a new HPFP part number 13-51-7-594-943 and my SA indicated a software update. I only have maybe 40 miles on it and it does not seem much different from when the car functioned properly prior. I will monitor its performance and give you any updates. OBTW, my 2009 only has 3600 miles on it when the fuel pump had issues.

I will tell you though from my experience, you really do get used to the power characteristics and then you formulate a new baseline. That is why people start becoming a power junky and install JB+ and JB3 and the likes to offset the new baseline and thirst. So it is quite possible that it may be imaginary and/or temporary. Possible differences in fuel (octance etc.) or ECU learning curve or ??? But it is hard to tell without before/after actual dynos of the software updates and who does that?

I think a tune is in order for you and I just may follow.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
I just picked my car up sporting a new HPFP part number 13-51-7-594-943 and my SA indicated a software update. I only have maybe 40 miles on it and it does not seem much different from when the car functioned properly prior. I will monitor its performance and give you any updates. OBTW, my 2009 only has 3600 miles on it when the fuel pump had issues.

I will tell you though from my experience, you really do get used to the power characteristics and then you formulate a new baseline. That is why people start becoming a power junky and install JB+ and JB3 and the likes to offset the new baseline and thirst. So it is quite possible that it may be imaginary and/or temporary. Possible differences in fuel (octance etc.) or ECU learning curve or ??? But it is hard to tell without before/after actual dynos of the software updates and who does that?

I think a tune is in order for you and I just may follow.
True on getting used to it.
But, I don't feel that's what's up with mine.

You got the new software, but you also got the new pump.
I think my pump, or something in the fuel system, is not up to par and that is what is causing some oddity in power delivery.

When you say your HPFP had "issues", did it actually completely fail, or something else, if something else, what was it?

The lag thing might be related to the software, or not.
I'm hoping to get more posts from people that have the new software, that didn't get a new pump, as it will be more representative of my situation.

Can you try what I described above, and report how much lag you may feel?
That would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

This is a known issue with the new 29.2 software update. There's threads on N54tuning.com about it. The good thing is, for us JB3 2.0 users, Terry can adjust some certain things to basically "undo" what the software update did, in so many words.
      05-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I guess it is a function of what version of software you came off of. I recently had a full software update, first time on this car, and was running 08 stock software (I have one of the early 08s). To me, driveability, lag, and linearity improved. May be different for 09 models where the crappy 08 software was addressed.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

I also experienced the lag and loss of prw after the software update but drove it around like a teenager for a few days thinking it would adjust and I'd get the pwr back and sure enough it did- it cost me a tank of gas driving like a fool but it worked. Sadly, I still had a long crank and my radio was acting funny so I took it back in today- I was told they will replace the HPFP and have to again reprogram so...
If you feel that you've given it enough time to adjust to your driving but still aren't satisfied that it's driving as it should, then take it back in.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
I also experienced the lag and loss of prw after the software update but drove it around like a teenager for a few days thinking it would adjust and I'd get the pwr back and sure enough it did- it cost me a tank of gas driving like a fool but it worked. Sadly, I still had a long crank and my radio was acting funny so I took it back in today- I was told they will replace the HPFP and have to again reprogram so...
If you feel that you've given it enough time to adjust to your driving but still aren't satisfied that it's driving as it should, then take it back in.
Yeah, I think I will push the issue.
I have to take mine in for no AC issue, and I'll see where I get with the power issue too.

I'm going on a roughly 500 mile round trip this weekend with some nice roads. I'll see how it does.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Picked up my car today - new pump and 2nd software reload. I told the dealer that after the first reprograming I was having lag and he said he'd look into it this time. I thought "yeah whatever, he's just saying that". But...car pulls real strong now and no delay on start up. First thing I did was get on the autobahn and open the baby up- no problem.
I highly recommend to take your car back in if you're not happy and explain the issue. I'm not sure what was different with this 2nd reload (other than 10 miles they added), but my baby certainly drives better and somehow feels...easy/easier to maneuver? not sure how to explain what I mean, but def smooth.

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Bump.

Anyone else have experience with the software update? My car is due for a brake fluid change and when I made the appointment they said it will also need a software update. I have not had any issues to date with the car so my first thought is if it isn't broke don't try to fix it. Guess it is a lack of confidence after being on the the forum and reading all the issues.