05-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Surely there is a quicker 1M stock time than 8:15 around the ring?

Has anyone seen a quicker stock time around the ring than 8:15 by our baby?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/06/17/bm...ring-time-815/
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

thats easily beatable, you're tempting me to leave my track car behind and take the 1m for the bank holiday weekend lol
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Ya I know! That's why I'm trying to find a proper time for reference!

I vote for leaving your track car behind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
thats easily beatable, you're tempting me to leave my track car behind and take the 1m for the bank holiday weekend lol
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

@Sheil: I can tell you one thing for sure... try to drive THAT time on THAT track variant with a true stock car and I guarantee you, that 98% of the drivers trying will not finish that lap. A stock 1M does not work very well on the Nordschleife when really driven fast and it is a real handful. I always have to grin, when I read "almost stock" somewhere and they have replaced the seats, the shocks / springs and are running semis. I am yet to see a lap by a true stock car that even comes close to that time. My personal best is over 30 seconds off and I know my way around the track a little. I know about four or five 1M owners that I know have the capabilities to maybe beat HvS time. But none of them drives the Nordschleife in a stock 1M anymore.
      05-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
@Sheil: I can tell you one thing for sure... try to drive THAT time on THAT track variant with a true stock car and I guarantee you, that 98% of the drivers trying will not finish that lap. A stock 1M does not work very well on the Nordschleife when really driven fast and it is a real handful. I always have to grin, when I read "almost stock" somewhere and they have replaced the seats, the shocks / springs and are running semis. I am yet to see a lap by a true stock car that even comes close to that time. My personal best is over 30 seconds off and I know my way around the track a little. I know about four or five 1M owners that I know have the capabilities to maybe beat HvS time. But none of them drives the Nordschleife in a stock 1M anymore.
Advevo's "tourist" lap chasing a M3 GTS was with a stock car, other than seats and a steering wheel, even his tires were stock. That was a fast time and also was with traffic. Of course, it's him and maybe I missed something about that lap (I mean the car's specifications). In general, your reasoning and first hand experience in the Ring makes sense, but I have a difficulty to take it granted that the official time is really the best a good driver can do especially thinking some cars making better than that time but in almost every other track they are either closer or even behind the 1M times (Renault Megane Trophy, Porsche Boxster S etc.). As a professional driver Advevo stated various times that a stock 1M could force the 8.00 barrier. I tend to take his words seriously, I think he knows what he is talking about.

But then, as you said, for the rest of us making 98-99 %, 8.15 probably is already too fast. However, it is not and should not be the 98 % majority's capabilities prooving a car's potential, it is the better minorities'.

Maybe we will never learn this, since there are less and less stock 1Ms left around
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Advevo's "tourist" lap chasing a M3 GTS was with a stock car, other than seats and a steering wheel, even his tires were stock. That was a fast time and also was with traffic. Of course, it's him and maybe I missed something about that lap (I mean the car's specifications). In general, your reasoning and first hand experience in the Ring makes sense, but I have a difficulty to take it granted that the official time is really the best a good driver can do especially thinking some cars making better than that time but in almost every other track they are either closer or even behind the 1M times (Renault Megane Trophy, Porsche Boxster S etc.). As a professional driver Advevo stated various times that a stock 1M could force the 8.00 barrier. I tend to take his words seriously, I think he knows what he is talking about.

But then, as you said, for the rest of us making 98-99 %, 8.15 probably is already too fast. However, it is not and should not be the 98 % majority's capabilities prooving a car's potential, it is the better minorities'.

Maybe we will never learn this, since there are less and less stock 1Ms left around
he has a JRZ suspension in his car as well.
Don't forget that the Megane time was driven by a pro (renault testdriver) and cannot be compared to the Sport Auto times. Looking at the time of the standard RS the Trophy is slower then the 1M, if compaired in a equal way. (both with the same pro driver)

I compared some of my inboards with the one of Advevo, and it is wuite shocking to see how much time he wins in certain sections. And I know my way around there fairly well I would say
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

To me ring lap times are just that, a time, they have no real credit for comparisons due to a number of reasons from drivers through to conditions, nor would I call sports auto's lap time the 'official' time as they themselves do not set all the times established on the list, as for the megane rs, great car but...........Renault Sport set up camp at the GP circuit with a large team of motorsport engineers and test drivers while spending a number of days 'driving' the circuit leading up to their timed lap attempt, all with one of their test drivers who was involved with the cars development at the helm, then we have the 1M, sports auto driver does one sighting lap then goes balls out on the second!!!!!

Says it all really........
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
To me ring lap times are just that, a time, they have no real credit for comparisons due to a number of reasons from drivers through to conditions, nor would I call sports auto's lap time the 'official' time as they themselves do not set all the times established on the list, as for the megane rs, great car but...........Renault Sport set up camp at the GP circuit with a large team of motorsport engineers and test drivers while spending a number of days 'driving' the circuit leading up to their timed lap attempt, all with one of their test drivers who was involved with the cars development at the helm, then we have the 1M, sports auto driver does one sighting lap then goes balls out on the second!!!!!

Says it all really........
Yes, says it all.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
This new little puppy did it in 8:23 - I'm sure our 1M can get pretty close to 8 in a capable hands...
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11205144...ini-ever-built
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I guess that BMW will release the true time when they will stop the production of the e9x m3 !
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

8:15 is the official time for the 1M. Since the car is out of profiction at this time 8:15 will be its standing for a stock 1M.
For the record, Horst Von Sauma is a veteran driver with a ton of track time on the Ring. His name is listed along side quite a few lap records for that track and others.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
8:15 is the official time for the 1M. Since the car is out of profiction at this time 8:15 will be its standing for a stock 1M.
For the record, Horst Von Sauma is a veteran driver with a ton of track time on the Ring. His name is listed along side quite a few lap records for that track and others.
OK but you know that 1Ms are not built in US or for US, don't you? The car is still in production in its Leipzig plant, if you didn't know, and this is at least till July 2012. In addition to this, anytime a stock 1M can be taken to the Ring, even after July and can post a recorded/accepted time which may or not be better than that, this has nothing to do with production calendar. Actual Ring time is the only "official" time we have and it has been clocked by Sport Auto, we all know it but it is just valid for now, not necessarily forever! It doesn't seem to be very convincing for everyone, if we may dare to suspect time to time.

All I am saying is if a Mini JCW GP can turn the Ring in 8.23, and 1M with Mr. Horst at the driver's seat in 8.15 well than I bet that Mini was driven by someone else other than Horst
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO 1M View Post
he has a JRZ suspension in his car as well.
IIRC he has the N55 mid pipe as well, which is about 10whp. Splitting hairs at this stage, but should be listed as a 'mod'.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OK but you know that 1Ms are not built in US or for US, don't you? The car is still in production in its Leipzig plant, if you didn't know, and this is at least till July 2012. In addition to this, anytime a stock 1M can be taken to the Ring, even after July and can post a recorded/accepted time which may or not be better than that, this has nothing to do with production calendar. Actual Ring time is the only "official" time we have and it has been clocked by Sport Auto, we all know it but it is just valid for now, not necessarily forever! It doesn't seem to be very convincing for everyone, if we may dare to suspect time to time.

All I am saying is if a Mini JCW GP can turn the Ring in 8.23, and 1M with Mr. Horst at the driver's seat in 8.15 well than I bet that Mini was driven by someone else other than Horst
Actually I didnt know it was still being made. My mistake.
I'll wager that the 8:15 official time will stand.

Heres something pulled from wiki regarding sport auto Ring laps. It seems they are not the full circuit. Add approx 7 seconds to the 8:15 lap time for a full North Loop lap.

wiki excerpt-"Sport Auto lapDuring the industry testing sessions in which sport auto records its "Supertest", the track can not be traveled at full speed past "Tribüne 13" (T13, grandstand 13) in order to allow safe access from the old exit/entrance there. Thus, sport auto Supertests cover only about 20.6 km (12.8 mi), which in average yields a 7 s shorter lap time compared to a full lap."

Last edited by NYC6; 05-15-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Standard ring times?

it's only standard if it was driven by the queen. everything else is amateurs
      05-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Actually I didnt know it was still being made. My mistake.
I'll wager that the 8:15 official time will stand.

Heres something pulled from wiki regarding sport auto Ring laps. It seems they are not the full circuit. Add approx 7 seconds to the 8:15 lap time for a full North Loop lap.

wiki excerpt-"Sport Auto lapDuring the industry testing sessions in which sport auto records its "Supertest", the track can not be traveled at full speed past "Tribüne 13" (T13, grandstand 13) in order to allow safe access from the old exit/entrance there. Thus, sport auto Supertests cover only about 20.6 km (12.8 mi), which in average yields a 7 s shorter lap time compared to a full lap."
In principle, all the times published are the so called Sport Auto time. Check the video of eg the Nissan GTR published by Nissan:

the video of the Corvette ZR1 published by Corvette:

the video of Megane RS Trophy published by Renault:
Appreciate 0