BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

135is issues at the track...

So I've had my car out several times now and regularly am having drivability issues at race speeds. The car is a 2013 135is DCT, it does have a JB4 tune and BMS intake.

What happens is severe sputtering/power loss when shifting at higher RPMs. Just today however, it professed to throwing a CEL and reduced power mode on me. I shut the car down and re started it immediately, everything was fine again. Makes no sense to me.

It is also notable that I tried running the stock tune, bypassing the JB4 completely, and experienced the same issues.

Anyone have any input?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
What code is it throwing? JB4 + DP + Meth and no problems here at Big Willow / Button.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
What code is it throwing? JB4 + DP + Meth and no problems here at Big Willow / Button.
I dont have a reader...it was a standard CEL followed by Reduced Power warning. But was instantly back to normal after re starting.

Just saw your car, my bad. I have a feeling maybe its temp related???
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap View Post
I dont have a reader...it was a standard CEL followed by Reduced Power warning. But was instantly back to normal after re starting.

Yeah can't really help you without knowing what code it's throwing. JB4 has a built in code reader I believe, try reading up on that. But would just be easier to get a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Well, I don't know what engine your car has or if it has the PPK second radiator and fan. But that kind of thing happens all the time in N54 135i's like my car due to water temperature. Since it always happens to me in a slow section right after a long straight, or right after sitting through a long black flag, I think the fan makes more difference than the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442
Quote:

Yeah can't really help you without knowing what code it's throwing. JB4 has a built in code reader I believe, try reading up on that. But would just be easier to get a code reader.
Cooler2442. Good to hear you dont have issues with that setup. Im going to button on friday and that is what im worried about. Anything you do or dont do to prevent this from happening or are you going all out? How do you know bryan?

Op has an IS. So n54 with added cooling.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
135is has a N55 with PPK.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
135is has a N55 with PPK.
This is true...

Found out it was some type of Power Reduction Mode triggered by excessive brake fade sensed by the computer. What's weird is there was NO brake fade. Maybe the car senses temp only and my setup is just capable of surpassing those temp triggers without fade?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Cooler2442. Good to hear you dont have issues with that setup. Im going to button on friday and that is what im worried about. Anything you do or dont do to prevent this from happening or are you going all out? How do you know bryan?

Op has an IS. So n54 with added cooling.
I run in the intermediate group usually so I'm not advanced and have never taken the car to its limits I'd say but I never had any kind of overheating problems. I'd just take it easy the first lap to warm it up properly then on the last lap also take it a bit easy to cool it down. Then just park and open the hood. I'd also set the JB4 to the mode that puts all fans to 100% and I'd track it in that mode to help with cooling. Sometimes after parking I'd leave the car running in that 100% fan mode with the hood open. Don't remember my ButtonWillow time but at Big Willow I put down a 1:40 with the stock runflats. I stopped tracking with Meth though because I went through about 4 gallons at Buttonwillow on it and that gets expensive. Maybe meth helped keep my car cool and not overheat?

I've been down to Bryan's shop to grab my exhaust, was one of the first N55's to run the setup. Also always run into him at Bimmerfest every year and we catch up.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is true...

Found out it was some type of Power Reduction Mode triggered by excessive brake fade sensed by the computer. What's weird is there was NO brake fade. Maybe the car senses temp only and my setup is just capable of surpassing those temp triggers without fade?
Hmmm interesting. I'm running the Ferodo DS2500's up in front with SRF fluid since the stock setup gets mushy real fast. I believe the sensors are unplugged on my Ferodo's since I didn't buy new sensors with the pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
This is true...

The car senses pedal pressure and wheel speed. In your case and all the others people have posted here, it's miscalculating. I spoke with a rep at Bimmerworld named Gary Gray. They sell a tune called Epic Tune which is similar to Cobb AP. The tuner says he can disable the brake fade limp if you work with him. I don't know if anyone has tried it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
The car senses pedal pressure and wheel speed. In your case and all the others people have posted here, it's miscalculating. I spoke with a rep at Bimmerworld named Gary Gray. They sell a tune called Epic Tune which is similar to Cobb AP. The tuner says he can disable the brake fade limp if you work with him. I don't know if anyone has tried it.
Gary that's great info. explains the brake limp mode warnings I was getting last time at the track. btw, Epic tune is a legit racing shop in Florida
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS
Quote:
This is true...

This is fantastic; will definitely look into it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
This is true...

That is a strange on indeed.
Appreciate 0