BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
frank35
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I JB3 DCI

Brake Ceramic M4 for BMW 1M

hi, anyone know if the ceramic brakes BMW M4, install for the BMW 1M?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

interesting..
anyone tried this yet?
      03-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I dont think M4 brakes will fit.

Even if they would I think the software/programming for CCB is different from non-CCB. As in you cant take a non-ceramic M4 and just add the CCB rotors and corresponding calipers.

Im not certain about this, but it was told to me by BMW representatives at the facility in Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

Even if they would I think the software/programming for CCB is different from non-CCB. As in you cant take a non-ceramic M4 and just add the CCB rotors and corresponding calipers.

Im not certain about this, but it was told to me by BMW representatives at the facility in Spartanburg.
Interesting, I have not heard that the modulation for CCB is to be adjusted upfront on the system/software level ... . Anyone more confirmation or details on this? (fi by posting the new F80-M3 or F82-M4 DSC module .trc tracefile).
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Interesting, I have not heard that the modulation for CCB is to be adjusted upfront on the system/software level ... . Anyone more confirmation or details on this? (fi by posting the new F80-M3 or F82-M4 DSC module .trc tracefile).
Possible, but I'm skeptical. Most of my track junkie friends with Porsches with ceramic composite rotors take them off, store them away and swap in steel rotors without a hitch.

Neil
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

The rate/effort it takes for the wheel speed to slow down and speed up would change given the lighter weight/mass that is spinning but the feedback the wheel speed sensors provides to the ABS computer with would help keep this in check for the most part. I bet the cars this change would be most noticeable on would be older with the slower processing capabilities these older systems had at the time in comparison to the latest technologies being implemented today. This is defiantly more obvious with engine control systems these days and what they are able to achieve with the monitoring parameters they are capable of now like stability control, direct injection timing, detonation levels. I suspect the control change would be very subtle to the driver to detect as the ABS kicks in given all the other details that factor into how the tires are loosing traction.
I bet Pete would have something to say on this given our past conversations.
-Scott
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Possible, but I'm skeptical. Most of my track junkie friends with Porsches with ceramic composite rotors take them off, store them away and swap in steel rotors without a hitch.

Neil
Thats true, I have seen that as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 04:10 AM   #8
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

Neil
No CCB programming required is what I suspect to be the situation as well. Thus to confirm the M4 CCB's for the 1M/M3 at this point, it seems most interesting to check the mechanical compatibility.

- Perhaps the mounting holes in the brake bells are different in size as the wheel bolts have increased 2mm in size between E82/E9X (12mm) and F82 (14mm). From what I heard, the bolt pattern is still equal at 5x120mm. As the brake forces are mostly transferred through the sheer forces on the surface between the axle hub and the brake bell, 1mm spacer rings should be optional. Depending on the new hub diameter, spacer rings might help to center the brake bell during the assembly?

- The distance between brake disk and inner brake bell surface will be the next check point.

Anyone in a position to measure either the 1M/M3 (EXX) or the M3/M4 (F8X) CCB brake bell geometry?
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

Neil
A couple of reasons for this. First the ceramic surface on Porsche rotors is only a thin surface that once worn away or damaged by rocks, oxidation or what ever needs replacement. Replacement costs are $$$$. Movit offers replacement rotors for the Porsches that are much better and could even be refurbished but they are $$$$ too. I've never seen a car at the track with a set but I'm pretty sure I saw pictures of an 1M with the Movit brake system on this forum.

But as Neil said, most Porsche guys that are track junkies go to the metal rotors. The pay out on winning the DE doesn't buy much.
      03-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Porsche CCB. The best solution for the M cars!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #11
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

not sure about the M4's CCB,
but somebody in aussie actually had fitted the Brembo GTR calipers with CCB that is one heck of a combo for 1M..

he posted it here in Aussie region if i'm not mistaken,
      03-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank35 View Post
hi, anyone know if the ceramic brakes BMW M4, install for the BMW 1M?
Depends if the mounts the same. However, why would you want to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post

I doubted - unless M3/M4 has gone brake by wire, and I don't think it has. However, it could be coded in for other reasons such as brake wear rates etc as they would be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Porsche CCB. The best solution for the M cars!
People are ditching PCCBs on track for good reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
not sure about the M4's CCB,
but somebody in aussie actually had fitted the Brembo GTR calipers with CCB that is one heck of a combo for 1M..

he posted it here in Aussie region if i'm not mistaken,
It works really well on track .
Appreciate 0