BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Iceman21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Aftermarket Tune - Exhaust sound difference?

Hi guys

Just wanted to find out if after getting an aftermarket tune there was a difference in your exhaust sound at all? For better or worse.

I have installed a Remus Street Race exhaust on the car and from what I can hear, when I drive the car in M mode, its burbles less than when in non M mode. I guess the sensitivity of throttle map causes that.

So if I got a tune, and the throttle mapping was changed to be more sensitive/direct, I assume the burbles would disappear? Not sure I want that.

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers
Sam
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I believe the burbles would be more prevalent due to a richer lower end and you'll definitely get more crackle at the high end, I've never thought much about it but since no one else answered ill throw that out. Dp's and/or a catless midpipe will add more burble as well. It will be louder at wot as you'll be moving more air through the system as well. Tune is the BEST mod by far, second is tires, third suspension imho; don't deny yourself a tune. A cone filter will also add some good noise, you'll hear the turbos spooling up in a totally different way.
      03-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Iceman21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Wouldn't I get heat soak issues with a cone filter?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #4
MPoweRo
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP LCI2 M, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman21
Hi guys

Just wanted to find out if after getting an aftermarket tune there was a difference in your exhaust sound at all? For better or worse.

I have installed a Remus Street Race exhaust on the car and from what I can hear, when I drive the car in M mode, its burbles less than when in non M mode. I guess the sensitivity of throttle map causes that.

So if I got a tune, and the throttle mapping was changed to be more sensitive/direct, I assume the burbles would disappear? Not sure I want that.

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers
Sam
Get a Maddad midpipe - that turned the burbles up on my car.

M4 Times (PSC2): Sandown: 1.21.76 Winton:
1M Times (PSC2):
Phillip Island: 1.53.09 Sandown: 1.24.03 Calder Park: 1.07.31 Winton: 1.36.71
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman21
Wouldn't I get heat soak issues with a cone filter?
Generally in the real world it's been shown on the n54 that the hotter air balances out with the ease of air flow to allow the turbos to work less at a given boost so they don't inject as much heat and IAT's aren't too much higher especially with a higher flow intercooler. At the track ill take extra precautions like removing the engine vowl and my IAT's stay in range.