BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: How do you purchase your vehicle
Upright (full amount payment from savings) 20 42.55%
Finance with dealer 19 40.43%
Loan (bank, family) 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

02-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #45
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
One big payment.
+1 The way to go.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #46
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Nope. Had a very very fortunate run before the GFC. I would like to say it was completely by design but there was a bit of of luck as well. Mind you I worked very hard for a lot of years and took a few calculated gambles to make that luck.

Hehe.
You went short on CFDs on the price of cocaine prior to the GFC and watched the spot price plummet as bankers could not longer afford it?

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #47
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
You went short on CFDs on the price of cocaine prior to the GFC and watched the spot price plummet as bankers could not longer afford it?
Good one. Wouldn't be surprised if those brokerage sharks did something like that though. They'd get their Grandmothers hooked to deal to them.

I was involved in a float that went well and exited before it went gurgle bloop bloop.......The company we floated was a good operation but the company that bought it via a takeover was a disaster waiting to happen so I shot through once the escrow period was up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #48
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Good one. Wouldn't be surprised if those brokerage sharks did something like that though. They'd get their Grandmothers hooked to deal to them.

I was involved in a float that went well and exited before it went gurgle bloop bloop.......The company we floated was a good operation but the company that bought it via a takeover was a disaster waiting to happen so I shot through once the escrow period was up.
IPOs were absolutely smashing it pre-08 so good on you for seeing the mispriced rally for what it really was and getting out before the tank. I'm not surprised, takeover premiums were through the roof back then paying for value that didn't exist.

In any case, if you've got large sums lying around makes sense to spend it upfront. Not everyone has it though, and loans aren't a bad thing either.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #49
nasperated
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e84 xDrive 23D

Garage List
Totally agree. It's all about your situation. I've had cars twice the price of my little toy but I'm over the blown thousands on depreciation. It's better to put more in appreciating assets, especially if you're young IMHO.
Appreciate 0