BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
louie12345
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Car won't start.

It started last week. The car wouldn't start, I traced it oden to the starter. Replaced the starter and worked for a couple of days. This morning the car won't start. I replaced the battery and nothing. Am I missing something? Any suggestion on what to check. I can push start it and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Mespinosa92
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Did you get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Mespinosa92
United_States
Rep

Was the battery defective when you replaced it? Check the alternator output voltage.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
louie12345
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alternator output is steady at 14.3 volts. Battery has 12.2 volts. There is no code except that my srs lights is on now because I disconnected the little twisted pair cable from the battery and I forgot to plug it back in before trying to crank the car. It s still does not crank. The starter appears to dead again. Can the battery damage it?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie12345 View Post
Alternator output is steady at 14.3 volts. Battery has 12.2 volts. There is no code except that my srs lights is on now because I disconnected the little twisted pair cable from the battery and I forgot to plug it back in before trying to crank the car. It s still does not crank. The starter appears to dead again. Can the battery damage it?
A few forum members have had starters die before. Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer? It is buried under the intake manifold. Maybe use a long screw driver and a hammer. Be careful not to touch the battery cables.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
Mespinosa92
United_States
Rep

I had a hesitation at start for months when i first bought my car. Thought it was a battery. I replaced it and programmed it with a bigger gel pack bmw. It got better and then one night after shutting it down it didnt start. Turned out to be the starter. It stores a fault for the starter. If there isnt a starter fault stored then it may be something else. Btw sorry for the late response. If you addressed this issue then good. If not, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
louie12345
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did not have a fault code. I took out the starter this past weekend, it was the starter solenoid that burned. I could smell it when I took it out. I took it to autozone to get it tested just to confirmed it was bad. It has been 3 days already and have not had any issues. I ended up buying a new TCY starter. It is brand new and not remanufactuured. I read good review about it. The one that burned was a Boesch manufactured. I did not wanted to spend 400 buck for an oem one. I have been parking my car in a slope just in case it breaks again so I can at least push start it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie12345 View Post
I did not have a fault code. I took out the starter this past weekend, it was the starter solenoid that burned. I could smell it when I took it out. I took it to autozone to get it tested just to confirmed it was bad. It has been 3 days already and have not had any issues. I ended up buying a new TCY starter. It is brand new and not remanufactuured. I read good review about it. The one that burned was a Boesch manufactured. I did not wanted to spend 400 buck for an oem one. I have been parking my car in a slope just in case it breaks again so I can at least push start it.
Good that you found it to be the starter and not something else. Bad that it was the starter you just put in. For the most part, Bosch rebuilt are pretty good, but never as good as OEM brand new.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0