BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
HPDE summit point track video

another epic day at the track. mods this time included pss9 coilovers and tires were inflated with nitrogen. this was my first time on this track and even though I returned very respectable times I was mainly working on the perfect line and the breaking points. max speed on the front straightway was 135 and ended in a hairpin turn. braking was strong but I noticed a bit of vibration from hard braking. no air under the hood at 135 as you can see from the rear facing camera mounted on the hood. pss9 performed flawlessly. at first I had the fronts set to stiff and I noticed some understeer. after backing off from the stiff setting the understeer was virtually gone. the rears were set to mid setting and no sliding around. my instructor was too much of a chicken to let me turn off all the electronic nannies. it actually may have saved me a few times coming in too fast. enjoy

09-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

NICE VID's

btw, do you happen to have a pic of exactly where your camera was mounted?

im dying with and early hero that cant adjust for the bright light.. that angle looks great. you see enough of the track, see hands, and can turn it on from the drivers seat.

Regards.
      09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Summit Point was my 1st driving school. They only had 1 track + the skidpad then. What is the name of the original course?

Ahhhh memories...thank you.

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

huntin down cayman, miatas and vdubs. sweet.

it looked like the cayman pulled on you on the long straight, then you caught him in the twisties, i would not have thought it the other way around.
      09-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
Summit Point was my 1st driving school. They only had 1 track + the skidpad then. What is the name of the original course?

Ahhhh memories...thank you.

miiipilot

Summit Point Raceway (SPR) is the original circiut name. 2.0 miles, nine turns(depending on how you count the turns!).

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/i...id=4&Itemid=21

Then Bill Scott built the Jefferson Circiut, Shenandoah and Washington circiuts. Bill was a nice guy. I am sad he is gone now.

Does anyone know if Bruce Reichal is still the head instructor for BSR? Bruce was a great guy too. I used to teach with all of them for the FATTs. It was always a blast.

Not many people know this... but Bill's main customer was the goverment. DoD would use them to train over seas deployment. The special forces also use them too. Bill use to have a four mile 360 target range out behind the karosel and Jefferson circiuts. They could use thier guns on a 360' target range there. Lots of "surprises" for the trainee's out there in the woods. DoD, also like Bill's location becase the main straightaway on the SPR doubled as a runway. That was why the lap tower was so tall! I know the Army would also do HALO jumps into Bill's play ground.

I remember foundly when we would do the FATT's we would have our instructor classroom sessions in a special building. On the walls were grads from the SPR programs. Amoung the foreign forces were the FARC! Really an interesting history out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
huntin down cayman, miatas and vdubs. sweet.

it looked like the cayman pulled on you on the long straight, then you caught him in the twisties, i would not have thought it the other way around.
actually I had to pull off throttle on the straights behind him. it was very frustrating and he wouldn't give me a point by. on that final turn into the straight I pulled really hard behind him and he finally let me go by. I was surprised I could keep up with him in the turns though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
btw, do you happen to have a pic of exactly where your camera was mounted?
the camera is installed high on the B pillar with the suction cup mount
      09-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Not many people know this... but Bill's main customer was the goverment. DoD would use them to train over seas deployment. The special forces also use them too. Bill use to have a four mile 360 target range out behind the karosel and Jefferson circiuts. They could use thier guns on a 360' target range there. Lots of "surprises" for the trainee's out there in the woods. DoD, also like Bill's location becase the main straightaway on the SPR doubled as a runway. That was why the lap tower was so tall! I know the Army would also do HALO jumps into Bill's play ground.

I remember foundly when we would do the FATT's we would have our instructor classroom sessions in a special building. On the walls were grads from the SPR programs. Amoung the foreign forces were the FARC! Really an interesting history out there.
---That is cool

miiipilot
Appreciate 0