E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OUCH -- Guess how much this scratch is going to cost me!

08-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

OUCH -- Guess how much this scratch is going to cost me!

Howdy all,

I'm totally bummed -- On sunday, I returned to (the very far end of) a parking lot to find the following (key?) scratch on my (front passenger side) door.... It ruined my weekend... Then I took it in for an estimate -- and it ruined my week!

Both guys that saw the scratch said "If only it was a few more inches toward the center of the door... Because it's so close to the back door, we will need to paint/blend into both doors in order to make it look new again...

The estimate from the BMW Body Shop for this 1 inch scratch? -- $1,200 to $1,600. *Gasp* (Perhaps they have to blend more b/c it's a "sparkling" paint?). I thought about having insurance cover it, but I figured that they would make me go to one of thier body shops (and I didn't want to risk them only approving the cost of some jerk slaping some nail polish on the scratch and calling it a day)... Anyhoo, BMW guarantees the work for the life of the car.

I dropped the car off yesterday and expect to pick it up on friday... Wish me luck!

FYI (though you can't tell from the picture) the scratch is VERY deep - through all the paint and down to the metal...

I don't need anyone to tell me that I'm getting ripped off, I'm just looking for pure sympathy...

Oh, I've also posted a pre-scratch picture of my car from a recent roadtrip. The car was wearing the 3 series bra (which picked up a bunch of bugs at 130 mph)... Although I'd only use the bra on a long roadtrip I was disapointed that it marred the finish of the paint around the seams (though nothing that a bottle of Scratch X can't fix, I figure)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

So sorry man...that's a great color too (mine)

I really don't like those bras though...I'd suggest selling it...even for long trips they attract bugs dust...they flap ...better to get 3m scotchcal or of the like...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Ack, sorry to see that, hopefully it comes out just like new. If it's really a key scratch, why do people have to hate on others property like that.

And yea I agree bras sometimes causes more damage than good.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
tooner
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Sorry to hear dude... hope you get it fixed...

Ariverderci!
05 530i
02 M3
04 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
andylee97
say no to drugs
Rep
Drives: 330i

it looks more like someone stab your door with something. maybe a knife or something like that. I hate people who dont respect others property. how would they like it if we took a knife to their car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

looks a little low for someone to walk by and make that key mark. they would have to be kneeling. sorry about your car man, id just be in disbelief that someone would want to deface such a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 02:17 AM   #7
CA330i
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I'm sure the law (in CA anyway) states you can have your vehicle repaired wherever you want, and the insurance company has to pay for it. They can make recommendations, but in the end the decision is yours. Sorry about your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 02:50 AM   #8
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
(Perhaps they have to blend more b/c it's a "sparkling" paint?). ...
Thats EXACTLY it..A LONG time ago, (1998) I had a black metallic Honda and a friend of mine had a non-metallic red one. We both had scratches on the passenger side doors, and his were MUCH larger..Mine? 800 bucks...His? 300. I had to ask why the difference, and you guessed it. The metallic flakes are not easy to mix, and I can only imagine with a Bimmer, they are that much more difficult to match after the hact..but you can bet it will look nice!

With 3 coats of Zaino, it probably wont happen again!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 09:10 AM   #9
camiloE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

That is really a bummer deal....I really wish there could be camera survailance on the car so you could see who would do such a thing. Sorry to hear that. I've had my share of keyd jobs. When i got my new 318i in 1995 it got keyed in south beach from front head light all the way to the back just 1 week of owning the car. Now i'm so freaked by it that i walk all the way around my new e90 checking for scratches every time before i get in. I might need psyhciatric help.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Should be able to fix it from an autoshop of your choice.

And dang about the bra - I haven't used mine and am weary now. How bad are the scuff marks left by the bra? I used to use one on my Accord and it never happened. Maybe I just didn't look closely on that car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 09:23 AM   #11
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

dude, you are getting ripped off...

...JUST KIDDING. That really sux; I have a uncle in autobody, and you get what you pay for. They are doing the most elaborate fix, but it should have the best results.

Just for note, there is something called Langka, it basically smooths out the touchup blob from touchup paint, http://www.autogeek.net/langka.html. I tried it once and it worked decently well.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I would find someone locally that does chip/scratch repair. Usually airbrushed. It will be a lot less noticeable and you will be the only one to ever know it was there. No point in repainting the door, more than likely you will not be happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #13
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Mine was scratched when I went to pick it up from the dealer (I guess it happened in transit from the port to the dealer). I know for a fact that they had their resident dentless repair/touch up guy from one of those chain type places fix it. I figured what the heck and let them try it and if I don't like the job I will make them paint the door. Sure enough I couldn't even tell where the scratch was anymore. I know it couldn't have cost more then a few hundred dollars or so and it was about an inch long. Might be worth stoping by one of those places just to see what they say.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I'm guessing shopping cart, not something necessarily intentional. Still hurts, just not as bad.
EVERY time I have recently gone for insurance work, I was treated to the form that *I* pick where to have it done. Since you were not driving, it should be covered under comp, not collision. Talk to your agent, you might be pleasantly surprised. I spoke to mine about a few nick on the hood, we were not sure where they came from. She told me to get my story straight that it did NOT happen while driving, and I would be much better off in the wallet.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

What is it with San Francisco. My friend had his S2000 keyed all to hell there one time, and then later it was just stolen... In the end he got a newer one from the insurance settlement, but still, I think we will be taking the Ford Escape on our next visit to SF.

Hey Steply, is that the Moab area in the picture? I was just there last week.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #16
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Just do a smart job touching up just the scratch with primer, touch up paint, and clearcoat. If you do the job right, you'll barely notice it.

You are crazy to want to spray the car for a small scratch like that. Spray the car, and it will be worth at least a couple thousand less than if you just touch it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #17
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

I am telling you have a pro touch up place at least take a look at it. You would be supprised what they can do.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
These vandals suck. I disagree with the touch-up idea. Get it fixed right - and your insurance should cover it at the shop of your choice. No reason you should eat the cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #19
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
You are crazy to want to spray the car for a small scratch like that. Spray the car, and it will be worth at least a couple thousand less than if you just touch it up.
I would agree. At least if you do a sale to reseller or trade-in. A private sale person, provided you are up front with them, and show you the picture, may not care because they know it was only cosmetic, but a dealer will take alot off the price because of the repaint.

Then again, trading in a car these days is robbery anyway!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #20
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

It is not a key, you would have to be a strong person to get that deep with a key with such a small scratch. It would make no sense to key someones car and only put that small of a scratch. I can guarentee 100% it is not a key.

Since you were in fact in a parking lot you have to assume someone hit it with something (shopping cart, bicycle, etc.)

Either way sorry to hear! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #21
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

YIPPEE -- Just got the car back and it looks WONDERFUL! Good as new! Even when I put my nose right up to the door, I can't see where the scratch was!!!

Oh, and according to the body shop, they sanded down the door, repainted, put on a clear coat and "baked" the door panels in order to cure the paint...

The only hiccup in the process was when I got my car out in sun... Apparently they did a "courtesy wash" with a sponge covered with sandpaper!!! I had MILLIONS of fine swirl marks all over the entire car (except on the side of the car they repainted)...

Fortunately, I took it straight back to the body shop and they polished the entire car (for "free" -- even though I had just paid them $1,215 for the scratch) and now it looks like it just came off the dealership floor!

Ahhh... Now that I have a scratch free car again, I'm so happy that I hardly notice (and no longer care about) the ticking sound from the seatbelt mechanism... I'm just happy to drive this pretty car around town again!!! YIPPEE!!!

I'll take and post some "after" pictures of the door this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #22
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Sorry to hear about this.... Something like this happened to my gf on her A4 and she got the store to pay to have it fixed, because it was parked on their property. They paid and did not say anything except that they did have to pay because it was on their property. The irony was we had been watching a news report on this a few days before stating the store is liable for damage that occurs in the lot (NY liability law) but they play it like they are not.
Glad to hear it was fixed and came out as it did. Best of luck in the future
Appreciate 0