BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i M-Package

Comfort Access not working

Just bought my 135i last weekend, it came equipped with comfort access, the doors work no problem, inside handle unlocks and thumb on top locks, but it still requires me to insert my fob into the car before i can start it.. doesnt comfort access let you start the engine as long as the key is in the car? am i missing something?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesticals View Post
Just bought my 135i last weekend, it came equipped with comfort access, the doors work no problem, inside handle unlocks and thumb on top locks, but it still requires me to insert my fob into the car before i can start it.. doesnt comfort access let you start the engine as long as the key is in the car? am i missing something?

thanks
Maybe the batteries in the remote are low so the transmitting distance isnt great?

There is place on the steering column that you can hold the key against for when the batteries run low.

Or you would try changing your battery
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply, ill change the batteries today and update! I tried holding against the steering column with no luck
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesticals
Thanks for the reply, ill change the batteries today and update! I tried holding against the steering column with no luck
Did you get it working? I've had this problem in my car many times and it was due to a water leak in the trunk corroding the comfort access module. It is located in the right rear of the trunk under the little storage well. It's pretty easy to remove the trunk liner and check for water damage. The comfort access module (PGS), tire pressure monitor (RDC), and backup sensor modules (PDC I think) are back there. The good news is there are plenty of working donor modules from eBay
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

You can insert the FOB into the car slot by the start button even if comfort access isn't working/fob battery is dead.
      06-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
chesticals
Private First Class
Rep

When u buy a donor from ebay do you have to get it coded or programmed to the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #7
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesticals View Post
When u buy a donor from ebay do you have to get it coded or programmed to the car?
For the PGS (comfort access), technically yes. There are settings that tell it what car it is in and what antennas to search for. However, IIRC, it did work as soon as I plugged it in and before I did the coding. It should take somebody with NCS Expert all of about 3 minutes to code. If you are worried about paying someone to code it, my recommendation would be to just throw it in the car and try it. If it never throws a code you see and works fine, I wouldn't worry too much myself. I've had enough comfort access problems to know that even when the module is corroded and throwing all kinds of errors, the car still drives fine

Do be sure that you get the right part number though. Realoem.com will be a help there and/or by matching the module you pull.

Off topic...
For the RDC (tire pressure monitor) there is no coding. As least in my 2008. They changed around a number of things in later years, so the new ones may need coded.

Not sure at all about the PDC (park distance sensors).
Appreciate 0