BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

N55 P36CA code - What does it really mean?

So the P36CA code has been troubling me lately and triggering limp mode. FBO PS1 on 93 octane with a protune. I have zero throttle closures, actual load (although low) is not exceeding req load. Boost is peaking around 16+ and AFR + overall timing is decent with a little pull mid range and cure peaking around 6.5 deg. Very few cyl timing corrections on 3rd gear pulls but a few on 4th gear pulls. Sometimes a WOT of 4th is clean and sometimes I get several corrections.

The N55 Tech code list says P36CA - "DME, internal fault: Torque comparison
monitoring" and "Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance" and "Start by repairing faults related to logged ECU fault memory entries for mixture formation - Only replace the DME if the fault remains present continuously or if the fault frequency is greater than 3"

So when I read "Torque comparison monitoring" I think load (maybe the car is making more torque or load than its expecting? Then it mentions "mixture formation which makes me think fuel?

Anyone dealt with this or really understand the deal with this P36CA code?

Here is a 3rd gear pull - http://www.datazap.me/u/ondemand/v19...18-19-20-21-22

4th gear pull - http://www.datazap.me/u/ondemand/v19...18-19-20-21-22

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks fellas
      06-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
I would go back to your tuner. I don't think it is really understood why or when it happens, but the tuner should be able to tweak some tables to try and prevent it from happening. I think there may be some other parameters that Cobb AP/ATR does not have access to that is triggering something. That's why we are crossing our fingers MHD or PTF or someone releasing something that allows tuners to adjust more than what they are able to do with Cobb.

Who is your tuner?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
I would go back to your tuner. I don't think it is really understood why or when it happens, but the tuner should be able to tweak some tables to try and prevent it from happening. I think there may be some other parameters that Cobb AP/ATR does not have access to that is triggering something. That's why we are crossing our fingers MHD or PTF or someone releasing something that allows tuners to adjust more than what they are able to do with Cobb.

Who is your tuner?
Thanks man,

Yeah there does not seem to be much info on this code and believe me I have searched multiple forums high and low.

I didnt want to get into who, but PTF is the tuner and I've always been really happy with the results. They have tuned two of my cars over the years and always do a great job....but lets just say they are preoccupied right now with development of their F chassis OBD tuning beta. They posted multi channel OBD logging of an F82 so they have something going on with the newer ECU's. Thats great and all but as an E82 N55 owner Ive become a little frustrated with 7-10 day wait times for an email response with upcoming track days on the horizon. Hitting hard limp mode mid corner with the car loaded under throttle could be a hairy situation. But running a aftermarket turbo it not as simple as going back to an older less aggressive map for the time being. I did know this going in. Hopefully I can get a consistent map (even if its less aggressive) before track time. May just have to cycle through 19 different maps and find the best fit that will keep me out of limp mode.

PTF is a great company but I think they are small enough that its difficult to keep up with their existing customers needs and try to develop | expand the business. That said hopefully whatever they are developing for F chassis will lead to more table | channel access for the E series N55 as well.

Anyone had the P36CA and found a way around it??
      06-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Yeah, it is frustrating. A few of my PTF tunes have done the same. The latest one has been good though. I hope their F series work will spill over to the E series, but I haven't heard anything. What turbo are you running? Is it possible to run the factory flash?

I just finished a track day and ended up running the factory ppk flash first just to get familiar with the car/track. I am glad I did because my oil temps shot up to 280 after a couple of laps. I am FBO, but running factory cooling in terms of oil and radiator. Since the temps were going up, I never ended up loading my PTF tune at the track. Just something to consider if you are on stock cooling.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

yeah still on stock cooling so I may just run a cobb stage 2 sport map which will handle the DP and be pretty mild on track. Atlanta motorsports park is a short course so very little straight away zones. And its getting hot here so Ill have to really watch temps.

Turbo is just the PS1 so nothing crazy.

I know PTF will take good car of me in the end just going to take a while.

Thanks man
      06-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
When was the last time you ran an OTS map? I was planning to do the same, but thankfully I grabbed a few logs of the OTS map the week before my track day and they were complete garbage. My car was faster on the stock flash. Especially in the upper rev range. Timing on the stock flash was around 11 degrees. Timing on the cobb would fall flat on it's face and it was not nearly as smooth. Made me realize how good my PTF tune is haha.

If I had more time, I would of sent the logs to Cobb to ask them to tweak the tune. Even if PS1, on 91 or 93 octane, the stock flash should be fine if the cobb OTS doesn't work out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

Good point!

I have not run or logged an OTS map in probably 18 months or so. Ill try one out and see what happens but you may be right and Ill end up running the stock flash. IVe got a few weeks so between my various PTF maps, a potential new PTF map (hopefully) and the OTS or stock maps I should be able to get it squared away. Really do not need the full grunt of the PS1 tune on any track much less a twisty one!

Ill let you know how things progress. Another plan I have is to not only log standard WOT runs but time in mountains which frankly represent what happens on track alot better than WOT pulls. Both are valid ways to see what the engine is doing. Truth be told Ill never be in 3rd or 4th gear at 2500 rpm and just WOT to redline on a track. I dont really drag or launch the car. Just road courses and mountain runs
      06-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
That's a good plan. Never gotten that code on a 3rd gear pull. Always happened during spirited canyon driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

Update - PTF sent me a new map this morning and while I have not logged it yet no P36CA to report.

I will let you boys know how things progress