BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Anyone fitted the BSH N54 Oil catch can yet ?

What did you think of it ?
I am looking to replace my Riss Racing OCC with one of these.
      03-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I'm very keen, I like the stealth look. Bit steep though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'm very keen, I like the stealth look. Bit steep though.
Agree, but my Riss one is about the same size, same location and also in black, but the O rings are starting to perish, the allen bolts are rusty and I have never been keen on the thought of steel wool rattling around the inside
      03-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've heard the Riss catch cans leak as well which is a big concern. I think I will eventually fork out for this catch can, but it's not a priority at the moment. If there was a group buy I'd jump on it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I've heard the Riss catch cans leak as well which is a big concern. I think I will eventually fork out for this catch can, but it's not a priority at the moment. If there was a group buy I'd jump on it though.

same here.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine had never leaked, but I think it may start soon as the O rings on the top are perished now. I've never emptied it either as the "fill gauge" on the side hasn't shown enough yet. It is stained brown, but no oil showing yet and it's been on for about 5000 miles.
      03-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I am not so sure the N54 engine needs an oil catch can. Just look at what "Si-135" said... its been 5,000 miles and hardly any oil is his CC. My buddy with an Audi RS4 says his fills up every few weeks!

http://www.1addicts.com/goodiesforyou/n54-3.pdf

take a look at page 11, crankcase.

On the OCC fence...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Si-135, if you don't see any oil in your can,
1. you might still wanna take it out and drain it, coz the "plastic tube window thing" is sitting quite high up and you might already have 0.5" of oil in the can
2 .you might also want to check for leaks where the hose is connected to the engine (under the cover).

I don't know how hard you drive your car, but unless you shift below 4krpm, you'll get some oil in your blow by gas. I'm pretty sure it's not the car is not having any oil in blow by gas, but it is the RR catch can isn't doing sh*t. It works for me for the first few months, I've to empty it pretty much every month, and find quite a bit of oil in there. Then the leaking starts coz of the o-rings fail and dramatic size reduction on the connectors.

I'll get another catch can, most likely the BSH can, but I'll do it when I've saved enough for a new FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

"you might also want to check for leaks where the hose is connected to the engine (under the cover). "

I have RR oil cc but saw no leak from the can and the connections except I have not checked the hoses back there. Also, my RR oil cc catch little oil, I wonder whether my oil cc had the stainless steel wool.

Did anyone experience leak where the hose is connected to the back of the engine?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

I barely emptied mine (RR) and hadn't done it for months because there was no oil in the view tube but sure enough there was a good amount. I emptied it in those little cups that dentists give you to wash your mouth out and it nearly filled half way.

I really want to upgrade it to either BSH's or AR's, just gonna have to do some research on both before I choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I am going with the BSH one as it fits in the same place as the RR one. As I have the BMW Performance pack I cant fit on near the steering pump reserviir as I have an additioan bracket with a relay on it there now.
      03-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The BSH Competition Oil Catch can is definitely a great system! This kit is completely bolt on and is designed with one goal in mind - Keep your engine clean and healthy!

The purpose of a catch can system is to collect/vent the blowby vapors inherent as part of the combustion process. The factory setup sucks these oily vapors directly back into the engine exposing them to everything in their path.

In the short term getting these vapors out of the combustion path reduces knock retard by not allowing oil vapor to mix with the air fuel mixture. In addition the more free flowing lines allow the engine to rev easily giving a more responsive feel to the engine as a whole.

Over the long haul these untended to vapors will build up over the intake valves leading to a host of running issues and an expensive repair bill to fix. With a catch can installed you will save yourself from dealing with this hassle.

All of the BSH Competition oil catch cans feature aluminum mesh baffling on the inside. This approach is used to obviously aid in the condensing of the oil vapors and also to allow the catch can to "breath". Ultimately the goal of the PCV system is to vent pressure from the engine so when designing our catch can lineup this was kept as the first priority with an efficient oil separation system being a VERY close second.

Here is an image of the baffling:

Sludge that you keep from entering your engine with the BSH Oil Catch Can:

All production fittings feature a military spec black hard anodized finish, all hose clamps, don't have such long legs on them once installed!!

The O-rings seen in the initial photos are part of a "twin seal" design. The billet fittings are machined to carry two O-rings each. They are designed to directly plug into the factory pcv connections without using some crazy plastic deals... This way you get a clean simple installation that maintains -10 sizing throughout. All the fittings but the one with the angle fitting are push lock so you don't need a bunch of hose clamps cluttering up an otherwise gorgeous engine bay.

Here are the pics, let me know if I can provide any further explanation.

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/BSH/N54CatchCan4.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/BSH/N54catchcan5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/BSH/N54Catchcan3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/BSH/n54catchcan10.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers looks good.