BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
s54_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, M2C, MK4 R32

Deployment advice

Like the title says, I'm getting ready for deployment for 9 months so I was wondering if anyone had any advice about having my car stored.

If anyone has been in a similar situation where they had to leave their car for a long time what are your recommendations?

I've recently changed the oil. Only has about 500 miles on the oil. The car will be in my garage. My wife will be home but she does not know how to drive stick plus the car sits pretty low, I don't think she has the skill to drive a car at that height.
I am more concerned about how can i keep the battery healthy when I get back and anything else I can do.

Appreciate any and all positive input
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Coils or static? Teach the Mrs. how to drive stick. She'll either love you or hate you for it.
      01-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
s54_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

its on h&r super sports
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
gabsean
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Battery tender
Bought CTEK on amazon for 59 bucks
I sometimes don't drive my car for 2-3 weeks at a time
Still have the original battery ('08)
My mom would unplug her 335i convertible all summer and leave it in garage in FL
I think she still has original battery
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

1st time I deployed we lived in an apartment. My car was kept under the covered parking for the first 7 months I was gone. The wife doesn't know how to drive a manual but I showed her how to start it, while leaving it in neutral and started it once a month for a few minutes. Then I came home for a month, bought a house and had a garage for it to stay in for the last ~4 months I was gone.

But since the last half of that deployment and the 2nd deployment (~3 months) this is what I've done and will do.

Disconnect the battery terminals, completely wrap them (terminals and battery terminals) in electrical tape, fold down the rear seats (I do just because) and not closing the trunk completely! Then when I get home I reconnect everything and then drive the car for about 20-30 minutes to "stretch its legs". The car is good to go.

It even sits from time to time for 2-3 weeks and it starts up fine every time. You should have no issues as long as your car is driven and I mean as a DD or driven 30+ miles a day. That the charging system and battery has the ability to be used and recharged.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When I first came to live in Germany... I wasn't sure how long I would be gone. When I did to my(then) Porsche 944 Turbo was over inflate the tires, fill the gas tank and then once parked disconnect the neg battery post. I ended up being one for a year. When I returned the car fired right up! The car was totally covered in dust in my apt's garage... but it cleaned up fine.

IF I were you... I would just do the same. Maybe order a CTEK battery tender IF you don't want to disconnect the battery. FOLD DOWN the rear seats before you mess with the battery. So many have shut the trunk on a disconnected battery. You might also want to get a indoor car cover too and maybe some fuel stabilizer. Your car will be fine, though. Have a safe deployment brother. :thumbsup

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
s54_guy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys, it was exactly what i needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When I first came to live in Germany... I wasn't sure how long I would be gone. When I did to my(then) Porsche 944 Turbo was over inflate the tires, fill the gas tank and then once parked disconnect the neg battery post. I ended up being one for a year. When I returned the car fired right up! The car was totally covered in dust in my apt's garage... but it cleaned up fine.

IF I were you... I would just do the same. Maybe order a CTEK battery tender IF you don't want to disconnect the battery. FOLD DOWN the rear seats before you mess with the battery. So many have shut the trunk on a disconnected battery. You might also want to get a indoor car cover too and maybe some fuel stabilizer. Your car will be fine, though. Have a safe deployment brother. :thumbsup

Dackel
Thanks man, should be a good one.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Oh yea I forgot about the fuel stabilizer. Thats always good to have and another thing too, open the door to the car (so the window opens a little bit) and maybe pop the hood too. Those 2 things help out too and since its going to be inside your garage, why not do it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You could also get one of those crystal packs that absorb water. Put it inside the car so the humidity doesn't get too high.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

High marks for the CTEK 4.3a charger in my book. Use it on all my cars when not in use.

Clean the car before you leave.
Fill the fuel so that if any water gets in, it's diluted.
If you're worried about the tires sitting, take them off the car and under-inflate a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

You don't have a friend who can drive it around every couple of weeks? My friend is currently deployed and every two weeks I drive her jeep around to keep it running and prevent flat spots. If you are going to leave it sitting, I'd put it on jack stands to prevent the tires from getting flat spots. Letting your tires sit for months isn't good.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Disconnect the battery.

Keep your head down and do your job. Come back in one piece.
Airborne.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
You don't have a friend who can drive it around every couple of weeks? My friend is currently deployed and every two weeks I drive her jeep around to keep it running and prevent flat spots. If you are going to leave it sitting, I'd put it on jack stands to prevent the tires from getting flat spots. Letting your tires sit for months isn't good.
+1 starting up the car by itself won't keep the battery fresh, it needs to be driven. Else get a CTEK like others mentioned and have someone drive it once a month at very least to avoid flat spots. Else put on a beater set of rims/tires while the car sits. When you get back change major fluids.

Most importantly thank you for your service!
      01-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsantosEuro View Post
Like the title says, I'm getting ready for deployment for 9 months so I was wondering if anyone had any advice about having my car stored.

If anyone has been in a similar situation where they had to leave their car for a long time what are your recommendations?

I've recently changed the oil. Only has about 500 miles on the oil. The car will be in my garage. My wife will be home but she does not know how to drive stick plus the car sits pretty low, I don't think she has the skill to drive a car at that height.
I am more concerned about how can i keep the battery healthy when I get back and anything else I can do.

Appreciate any and all positive input

ill take care of it for a while haha

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I'm deployed now.

Before I left, I got an oil change and gave the car a very thorough wash. I added fuel stabilizer and filled the tank. I parked it in my garage, and hooked up a battery tender. I also covered the car. I wasn't worried about flat-spotting my tires, because I'm overdue for a fresh set, and will replace them within a few weeks of getting back. If they were new tires I probably would have put the car on jack-stands.