BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #45
ruffstik
Pirate
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 G87 - on the list

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
There's a sticky at the top of this forum about warranties. They cannot invalidate your entire warranty based on a mod. They can refuse to do warranty work if they can show that the mod caused the problem. Thus if you change the exhaust and your AC stops working, they have to fix it. If your car fails emissions testing, it's on you. If the HPFP fails they may claim it's because you are running more HP than they designed for and putting strain on the HPFP and you might have to fight it. The SA is either lying in hopes of selling you their parts or is confused.
Thanks for the info...I'm assuming I was just talking to a "misinformed" SA. I'm going to get an exhaust either way...the sound of that CP-E exhaust is just is too intoxicating....or am I getting the Riss Racing exhaust...damnit...there I go again..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #46
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
if your looking for something that will sound good but not to loud catless you should check out the Maddad Axel back exhaust. it sounds great and not too loud. I got to try one of his prototypes with my catless mid pipes and its pretty awesome. and it one of the best deals especially for the quality. There is a thread in the commercial section.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236719
That seems like a huge waste of money to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #47
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post
WTF....just called my local BMW stealership and questioned warranty issues with an aftermarket exhaust and they told me that it would void the warranty. They said I could always get the BMW performance exhast and that would be covered....what the crap.

I had the same problem too....

Everyone talks big about "who cares about warranty", "BMW cant do that" but when they blow a turbo or HPFP goes, and BMW tells you were not fixing it cause your exhaust was the cause. (even know it was not)

Then what??? Sue BMW... by the time you pay a lawyer if you can afford one that would take the case, and try to fight a giant car manufacturing company with bottom less pockets, your car will be 3 years old and still sitting at the shop.

I have had personal experience with this in the past and the one thing i learned is its a loosing proposition... In the end its a big wast of time, money, and a big head ache....and the only one who looses is YOU!!!

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #48
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Cat View Post
I had the same problem too....

Everyone talks big about "who cares about warranty", "BMW cant do that" but when they blow a turbo or HPFP goes, and BMW tells you were not fixing it cause your exhaust was the cause. (even know it was not)

Then what??? Sue BMW... by the time you pay a lawyer if you can afford one that would take the case, and try to fight a giant car manufacturing company with bottom less pockets, your car will be 3 years old and still sitting at the shop.

I have had personal experience with this in the past and the one thing i learned is its a loosing proposition... In the end its a big wast of time, money, and a big head ache....and the only one who looses is YOU!!!

Just my 2 cents
It's not a matter of hiring a lawyer or anything of the sort... It's a matter of talking the talk and walking the walk. IF you know your rights, you'll have no problems.

A cat-back exhaust in no way, shape or form affects any aspect of the motor and, BY LAW, BMW has to prove it if they attempt to void any part of the car's warranty. If they're unable to provide a written explanation how the exhaust affected the HPFP, the court case would be a no-brainer... You could practically represent yourself, if it came to that (which it wouldn't).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #49
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

A lot of people out there moding their brand new babies, and only heard a few cases that have warranty issues with thier mods. Usually, if one dealer doesn't fix it then try another dealer until you found one willing to fix your car. Of course, it may be a problem with small town where only 1 BMW dealer within 100 miles. Usually, car starts to break down way after the warranty period unless some known issue (like HPFP) which may occure within the warranty period. If you want to be on the safe side, then do not mod your car and enjoy as is, but I would not say that it is a waste of money.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #50
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Im not saying CAT Back's will cause this, cause we all know it wont...

But proving something like turbo failure is not free, and does take time... All im saying is its a huge pain in the ass...

I wish car companies would just stop blaming there SHIT parts failing like HPFP, on After market stuff that in no way harms your car... They only want more money from you, why else would they not just fix it. Why make 80.00per hour Warranty cost when you can screw the guy who just bought a 50K car and charge him 130.00/hour....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #51
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
That seems like a huge waste of money to me.
I am not sure how the Maddad exhaust is a waste of money? He wants an exhaust to add a little more sound to his car. It might actually help free up a couple ponies while he is at it.
      03-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #52
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I am not sure how the Maddad exhaust is a waste of money? He wants an exhaust to add a little more sound to his car. It might actually help free up a couple ponies while he is at it.
I know maddad makes good products so I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing there axleback.

That being said:

For starters changing your exhaust just to get a different sound from it is a waste of money but if he wants to wast his money than so be it. However you could go to any muffler shop and have the same thing built for a fraction of the cost. It nothing more than a muffler with a little tubing, can you honestly say it's worth $700?

I understand that mods for BMW's cost more than most other cars but still the cost is way to much for what you're getting. There's better things you could be spending your money on.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #53
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Yes, you can do it cheaper with a local muffler shop, but are they using 304 stainless steel, doing mandrel bend, excellent welding and don't know what kind of cheap muffler that they used. At one time, one of my ex-car used a local muffler shop to custome make and mimic an after market exhaust system with 50% cost saving, but does it worth it. It didn't because one of the welding rust out and came apart and it sounds not as good and things didn't look 100% right. When you complainted to the muffler shop owner about things not 100% right, they said "Oh, it is only off 1-2 inches, no big deal" and they did not want to re-do their job. So, based on my experience, do you still think that you want to trust your local muffler shop to work on your BMW? I won't foreever. Once I was burned, I will remember it and won't make the same mistake twice.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #54
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

You can always go to a local tuner, and if you're lucky there will be a BMW tuner in your area, and you can get a custom exhaust that way. The amount of mods needed to get the RR exhaust I received to fit is not to my liking, even if Riss is willing to pay. I think I'm going to be better off having this guy fit his own custom exhaust to my car rather than hacking up someone else's, and it may very well be cheaper too, and I can use the stock tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #55
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Yes, you can do it cheaper with a local muffler shop, but are they using 304 stainless steel, doing mandrel bend, excellent welding and don't know what kind of cheap muffler that they used. At one time, one of my ex-car used a local muffler shop to custome make and mimic an after market exhaust system with 50% cost saving, but does it worth it. It didn't because one of the welding rust out and came apart and it sounds not as good and things didn't look 100% right. When you complainted to the muffler shop owner about things not 100% right, they said "Oh, it is only off 1-2 inches, no big deal" and they did not want to re-do their job. So, based on my experience, do you still think that you want to trust your local muffler shop to work on your BMW? I won't foreever. Once I was burned, I will remember it and won't make the same mistake twice.
I would buy an entire tbe from a vendor, not just an axleback. In my opinion buying just an axleback is pointless.

Also, you can buy performance mufflers so all you need the muffler shop for is the tubing.

And my titanium catback, key word titanium, for my Evo cost $900. I'd say that's a much better buy that $700 for a steel axleback. But is seems that BMW enthusiasts have become accustom to spending ridiculous money for mods and therefore don't see this as a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #56
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
I would buy an entire tbe from a vendor, not just an axleback. In my opinion buying just an axleback is pointless.

Also, you can buy performance mufflers so all you need the muffler shop for is the tubing.

And my titanium catback, key word titanium, for my Evo cost $900. I'd say that's a much better buy that $700 for a steel axleback. But is seems that BMW enthusiasts have become accustom to spending ridiculous money for mods and therefore don't see this as a big deal.
Your Evo exhaust cost that much because it has A LOT bigger market, allowing them to mass produce the exhaust, which brings down the costs.

I know it is your opinion but please do not compare apples to oranges. He wants an exhaust to make his car sound different. That is all.
      03-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #57
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Your Evo exhaust cost that much because it has A LOT bigger market, allowing them to mass produce the exhaust, which brings down the costs.

I know it is your opinion but please do not compare apples to oranges. He wants an exhaust to make his car sound different. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #58
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Sorry that this person's wishes don't jive with what you think is worthwhile. People have given viable options and you choice to voice your opinion contrary to the OP's requests.
      03-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #59
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry that this person's wishes don't jive with what you think is worthwhile. People have given viable options and you choice to voice your opinion contrary to the OP's requests.
You completely missed the point, that's why I posted that. Also my posts aren't "contrary to the OP's requests".

Since you don't grasp what I'm saying I won't continue. No point in mudding up this guys thread. Feel free to pm me if you wish.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #60
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Ok maybe, just maybe I am off-base here but did you read the entire thread (Maddad's exhaust thread)...he IS making an entire Cat-back system....you can purchase or configure it the way you want. This is not some closet anti-Subaru hate is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #61
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Ok maybe, just maybe I am off-base here but did you read the entire thread (Maddad's exhaust thread)...he IS making an entire Cat-back system....you can purchase or configure it the way you want. This is not some closet anti-Subaru hate is it?
Subaru hate? Are you kidding me?

The OP asked "what exhaust to buy" and someone posted a link to the maddad axleback. I then gave my opinion on why I feel the maddad axleback is a waste of money. What's the problem? Why are some of you offended by this? Is this not the point of a message board, to offer our opinion on a given topic and try to help each other?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #62
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Subaru hate? Are you kidding me?

The OP asked "what exhaust to buy" and someone posted a link to the maddad axleback. I then gave my opinion on why I feel the maddad axleback is a waste of money. What's the problem? Why are some of you offended by this? Is this not the point of a message board, to offer our opinion on a given topic and try to help each other?
Ok I guess the "wink" smiley went over your head....the Subaru comment was made in "jest" because you have an EVO and Maddad is known for his Subaru Exhaust applications....I falsely "assumed" you would get it. On a side note...UNLESS I was going ALL OUT for every eensy, tiny, little HP increase I could get....why SHOULD anyone buy a full Catback? Most of the gains have been in the single digit up to, but not more than 10hp. This is from a Catback....what clued me in is the fact that Eisenmann decided to only do a axelback...and they have probably the highest R&D of ALL exhaust manufacturers..including the ones mentioned here. So IF you can JUSTIFY a Catback...then I MIGHT listen to your opinion...until then ANY exhaust system put on a 135i (should I say muffler included? Since there is an application out there that deletes it>) is ONLY FOR SOUND.....So I am prepared for the "experts" to prove me wrong...... *note* facetious smiley....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #63
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
You completely missed the point, that's why I posted that. Also my posts aren't "contrary to the OP's requests".

Since you don't grasp what I'm saying I won't continue. No point in mudding up this guys thread. Feel free to pm me if you wish.
Why don't you PM me with what I am not grasping here?
      03-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #64
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Ok I guess the "wink" smiley went over your head....the Subaru comment was made in "jest" because you have an EVO and Maddad is known for his Subaru Exhaust applications....I falsely "assumed" you would get it. On a side note...UNLESS I was going ALL OUT for every eensy, tiny, little HP increase I could get....why SHOULD anyone buy a full Catback? Most of the gains have been in the single digit up to, but not more than 10hp. This is from a Catback....what clued me in is the fact that Eisenmann decided to only do a axelback...and they have probably the highest R&D of ALL exhaust manufacturers..including the ones mentioned here. So IF you can JUSTIFY a Catback...then I MIGHT listen to your opinion...until then ANY exhaust system put on a 135i (should I say muffler included? Since there is an application out there that deletes it>) is ONLY FOR SOUND.....So I am prepared for the "experts" to prove me wrong...... *note* facetious smiley....

First of all drop the attitude.

I said I'd buy a tbe and maybe you're unaware but tbe = turbo back exhaust. The downpipes are where you will see a hp increase. You're the one who brought up a catback.

Also, hating a "rival" car is childish and for fanboys.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #65
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Enough - children .

Berk's catback looks good. I know it's only modest hp and torque increase, but remember you are also loosing some weight. A few percent here and there will increase the power/weight ratio but a good amount.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #66
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
First of all drop the attitude.

I said I'd buy a tbe and maybe you're unaware but tbe = turbo back exhaust. The downpipes are where you will see a hp increase. You're the one who brought up a catback.

Also, hating a "rival" car is childish and for fanboys.
Yet still again the facetiousness went over your head...The term "in jest" also went over your head...allow me to explain further....when I said the Suby hate thing it was a playful jibe directed towards an EVO owner...keyword on "playful". That means I was not serious even if you took it as such. Second my 'attitude' is hard to determine just from reading...so lets not 'assume' that I have one. Third you mentioned you bought a 'catback' for your EVO(meaning you had already mentioned a catback)....I understand you would buy a TBE (thanks for explaining to the uninformed what the acronym means) from a vendor...buuuut since I personally already have DP's I don't see the need for an entire TBE. As I do not want to get rid of my second set of cats OR resonators the next option is a axelback to change the exhaust note. Like I said before I would not buy an exhaust for 2k...and most definitely not an axelback. All of this said I chose to purchase the Maddad axelback to change the exhaust note a bit........balls in your court
Appreciate 0