BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #67
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

I can't believe there's 4 pages of this, and i'm contributing by posting.... I did consider doing multi-quote and quoting everyone who went "bawhahaha" but i figured that would be immature of me.

I you don't like it don't do it, if you like it, go for it. If you can't afford it, dream about it.

I think the best thing i read in here so far though (not saying i agree or disagree because i appreciate both sides of it) If you're not going to be tracking your car, why do you need to go for performance driving...

I support both sides of this, I used to auto-x a lot, i learned a lot, and could have learned a lot from performance driving courses, and that's why i will probably do it this summer.

however, if you're needing the performance driving courses just so you can be more confident driving like an ass hole on the road, you should reconsider it because you shouldn't be driving like an asshole in the first place. Maybe if you don't know how to control a slide for a long distance, you will be less likely to try it on the road.

I will modify my car, but i will do it subtly so people don't notice it (average person that is)

people don't need to know what the car is capable of, but if i do it subtly enough, it will be enough to make me proud to call it my own. There are several thousand 1 series cars in north america, i don't want the exact same car as everyone else.

just like people say, there are modified ferarri enzo's out there. most of them are red, may as well find a way to make it yours.

I will never own a car that i don't modify in some way or another. something as simple as a better set of tires, or full blown monsterous turbo, it depends on the aplication. But i put 30,000kms on each of 2 cars in less then one year, so I guess to me, every dollar i spend is utilized in the amount of time i spend with my car.

My dad on the other hand has a "special" car, I'd be surprised if it gets more then 3000kms on it this summer before put back away. yet, it has 800kms on it right now, and he just spent 5000$ on modifications that he will never get the value out of.

oh, and he's done performance driving school, so don't go there.

anyways, you folks have fun, i'll be sure to unsubscribe from this waste of time of a thread on my way out, but i hope some people learn from this thread at least something, but i doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #68
Eminenceo3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mineral white E93

Just checking in to see how this thread is going..... Yep

Still going....
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #69
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i aw w/coral red int.

4 pages of people trying to convince the minds that are completely different ..we have an "expert" who is driving 328i BMW trying to say that the stock BMW 135i suspension is adequate. Idk, I watched top gear and they even said the 135i could use suspension work. Guys on here replace some stock 135i suspension bits....get this with the m3 "stock" parts. So what do you "track rats" think of that. I came from nothing, built myself up to afford a 135i if I want to put a friggin blower on my car and spit flames out of exhaust and light your mailbox on fire what do you care. Stop getting technical cause Ill right a 10 page essay stating how you dont need to be paul tracey to be able to slightly modify your car. We are not going on the nurburgring 24 hr lemans relax...and chris Im sure your not with your 328i. Pack your bags war is over! If you track rats are such experts you would keep it to yourself's...you wouldn't flash it. Remember I speak softly but I carry a big stick!
N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #70
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

And most on here are probally good drivers....I didnt need a driving school...to know how to properly apex, heel toe, double clutch etc....so whats your point. The modifications I see done this forums are usually good ones. Wider tire/wheel set up, KW's. You track rats are just getting ahead of yourself with your overwhelming knowledge that we all dont have bwahhaaahaaa. lol
N55 6spd, M-sport nav,ipod,BMW kidney grills,amber gones,GP H8 8500k,GP H3 4500k,6k headlight bulbs, de-badged, 20 % tints, icarbon spoiler. AFE air scoops,Berk full sport exhaust, CDV mod, BMS stage 1, Berk down pipe, injen intake,carbon splitters, carbon mirror caps. custom black and flat clear interior trim pieces. interior mods. eibach lowering springs, nitto 555 tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #71
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
^^^^ Perception is reality to those who don't understand the technical aspects. It is what it is.
No, actually, this is what it is: you either have no clue what you're talking about, or you're intentionally being a crank. Not sure which.

A lower center of gravity improves handling. Stiffer spring rates, in general, improve handling. There exists room for improvement in both of these areas because BMW made a compromise in favor of more practical ground clearance and better ride comfort. It's really not rocket science.

Further, vehicle handling is largely subjective. In this case, perception really is reality. We're not talking about building a race car and trying to shave off every last 10th of a second with suspension tweaks, or tuning the suspension for a specific course.

You don't need formal training to perceive an improvement in handling. By your logic, I shouldn't know the difference in what it feels like to drive a delivery van versus a go-kart.
      04-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #72
Eminenceo3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mineral white E93

To understand how clouds form, we need to take a step back and examine the processes of evaporation and condensation. Picture a birdbath outside on a hot day. When the temperature of the environment is warm, molecules of water (H2O) are energetic and can move more, expanding the distances between them. More molecules will leave the birdbath's mass of liquid and become water vapor in the air. On a cool day, the molecules have less energy and are less able to separate themselves from the larger mass of water. (On a very cold day, water molecules generally contract into their solid form, ice, and don't have the level of heat energy needed to separate themselves.) You can see the processes occurring in the first two cases. However, the first scenario's result is net evaporation; and the second scenario's result is net condensation. Other factors can affect these outcomes, but for our purposes, we'll just focus on temperature.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #73
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenceo3 View Post
To understand how clouds form, we need to take a step back and examine the processes of evaporation and condensation. Picture a birdbath outside on a hot day. When the temperature of the environment is warm, molecules of water (H2O) are energetic and can move more, expanding the distances between them. More molecules will leave the birdbath's mass of liquid and become water vapor in the air. On a cool day, the molecules have less energy and are less able to separate themselves from the larger mass of water. (On a very cold day, water molecules generally contract into their solid form, ice, and don't have the level of heat energy needed to separate themselves.) You can see the processes occurring in the first two cases. However, the first scenario's result is net evaporation; and the second scenario's result is net condensation. Other factors can affect these outcomes, but for our purposes, we'll just focus on temperature.
Rain is liquid precipitation, as opposed to non-liquid kinds of precipitation such as snow, hail and sleet. Rain requires the presence of a thick layer of the atmosphere to have temperatures above the melting point of water near and above the Earth's surface. On Earth, it is the condensation of atmospheric water vapor into drops of water heavy enough to fall, often making it to the surface. Two processes, possibly acting together, can lead to air becoming saturated leading to rainfall: cooling the air or adding water vapor to the air. Virga is precipitation that begins falling to the earth but evaporates before reaching the surface; it is one of the ways air can become saturated. Precipitation forms via collision with other rain drops or ice crystals within a cloud. Rain drops range in size from oblate, pancake-like shapes for larger drops, to small spheres for smaller drops.
Moisture moving along three-dimensional zones of temperature and moisture contrasts known as weather fronts is the major method of rain production. If enough moisture and upward motion is present, precipitation falls from convective clouds (those with strong upward vertical motion) such as cumulonimbus (thunderstorms) which can organize into narrow rainbands. In mountainous areas, heavy precipitation is possible where upslope flow is maximized within windward sides of the terrain at elevation which forces moist air to condense and fall out as rainfall along the sides of mountains. On the leeward side of mountains, desert climates can exist due to the dry air caused by downslope flow which causes heating and drying of the air mass. The movement of the monsoon trough, or intertropical convergence zone, brings rainy seasons to savannah climes. Rain is the primary source of freshwater for most areas of the world, providing suitable conditions for diverse ecosystems, as well as water for hydroelectric power plants and crop irrigation. Rainfall is measured through the use of rain gauges. Rainfall amounts are estimated actively by weather radar and passively by weather satellites.
The urban heat island effect leads to increased rainfall, both in amounts and intensity, downwind of cities. Global warming is also causing changes in the precipitation pattern globally, including wetter conditions across eastern North America and drier conditions in the tropics. Precipitation is a major component of the water cycle, and is responsible for depositing most of the fresh water on the planet. The globally-averaged annual precipitation is 990 millimetres (39 in). Climate classification systems such as the Köppen climate classification system use average annual rainfall to help differentiate between differing climate regimes. Antarctica is the Earth's driest continent. Rain is also known or suspected on other worlds, composed of methane, iron, neon, and sulfuric acid rather than water.
      04-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #74
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
A douche ( /ˈduːʃ/) is a device used to introduce a stream of water into the body for medical or hygienic reasons, or the stream of water itself.
Douche usually refers to vaginal irrigation, the rinsing of the vagina, but it can also refer to the rinsing of any body cavity. A douche bag is a piece of equipment for douching—a bag for holding the fluid used in douching. To avoid transferring intestinal bacteria into the vagina, the same bag must not be used for an enema and a vaginal douche.
      04-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #75
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

100 percent correct. I happen to like your mods....shoot me haaa lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
No, actually, this is what it is: you either have no clue what you're talking about, or you're intentionally being a crank. Not sure which.

A lower center of gravity improves handling. Stiffer spring rates, in general, improve handling. There exists room for improvement in both of these areas because BMW made a compromise in favor of more practical ground clearance and better ride comfort. It's really not rocket science.

Further, vehicle handling is largely subjective. In this case, perception really is reality. We're not talking about building a race car and trying to shave off every last 10th of a second with suspension tweaks, or tuning the suspension for a specific course.

You don't need formal training to perceive an improvement in handling. By your logic, I shouldn't know the difference in what it feels like to drive a delivery van versus a go-kart.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #76
TEUFELHUNDE
USMC Lance corporal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
A douche ( /ˈduːʃ/) is a device used to introduce a stream of water into the body for medical or hygienic reasons, or the stream of water itself.
Douche usually refers to vaginal irrigation, the rinsing of the vagina, but it can also refer to the rinsing of any body cavity. A douche bag is a piece of equipment for douching—a bag for holding the fluid used in douching. To avoid transferring intestinal bacteria into the vagina, the same bag must not be used for an enema and a vaginal douche.
wow.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #77
TheDeathDealer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328i View Post
Stiffer shocks do not make a car handle better, they change the roll rate or alter the wheel acceleration when you hit a bump. Most people associate less body roll with improved handling but in fact the handling has not change. The car still tracks exactly the same. Modding when you have no clue what you are doing is a good way to turn a nice car into a POS, as some people frequently do.

Ignorance really is bliss for some folks.
Ignorance is bliss? If you had reading comprehension you would have noticed I never said anything about the car handling better with stiffer shocks. I said you can tell the car drives/rides differently, and you can tell.

Being an ase certified automotive mechanic and having replaced worn out shocks/struts or just OE with performance ones on many cars I can tell you with confidence that shocks in fact do make a difference on a car. Now where some cars have a suspension that is very sporty to begin with you won't notice much difference in handling at all but you will notice a difference in the way it rides regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #78
TheDeathDealer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
The vast majority of people on this forum have gone nowhere near the limits of grip on even the run-flats at least not in any curves on the street.....the difference most feel is mainly tire slippage from straightline acceleration and comfort....now that IS something I learned doing HPDE's.

Double Bwahahaaaa.....
I wasn't speaking of tire grip, much as the overall ride quality. Between a good tire and a horrible one the difference can be almost as bad as the difference between tire that has 2/32nd tread left vs a brand new one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #79
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Didn't you see the thread titled "How much do you make?" IRT to 1-series owners? 33% of 331 polled make over $120k/yr....I would also wager that the majority on here have done some kind of mod...why else would they really be on an enthusiasts website (percentage wise)....
LOL. I overlooked that little gem unfortunately. Ironically I do agree with you on the point about hanging out on enthusiast websites though...they do seem to attract that sort of owner in disproportionate amounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #80
benrappaport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.66]
who is happy stock is a better questtion\
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #81
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrappaport View Post
who is happy stock is a better questtion\
Why did you revive this thread is an even better question

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #82
benrappaport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.66]
i didnt revise the thread i asked a retorical question jeeze its a response it like saying why not?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #83
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Other than eyelids and SSK, I have no mods but damn I sometimes live/feel like a vulture on the for sale section waiting on the "steal" deal mod opportunity ...and I always miss out on em.
Appreciate 0