BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #45
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Upon further investigation I have uncovered the stock intercooler yields a 1/8"-1/4" gap from the radiator.
Maybe my grade 1 maths are wrong, but seeing as my VRSF intercooler sits at least 1/2" below where stock sat that would net me at least 5/8"-3/4" gap above the intercooler.
Maybe my basic understanding of grade 1 English is wrong but that wouldn't make it "identical" to the stock intercooler.
This weekend I will measure the actual gap and follow up with a call to my BMW SA to confirm in writing what the stock gap between the two are.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #46
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
Upon further investigation I have uncovered the stock intercooler yields a 1/8"-1/4" gap from the radiator.
Maybe my grade 1 maths are wrong, but seeing as my VRSF intercooler sits at least 1/2" below where stock sat that would net me at least 5/8"-3/4" gap above the intercooler.
Maybe my basic understanding of grade 1 English is wrong but that wouldn't make it "identical" to the stock intercooler.
This weekend I will measure the actual gap and follow up with a call to my BMW SA to confirm in writing what the stock gap between the two are.

Thanks
I know for a fact you are not learning fractions in Grade 1 math...

Me thinks you are starting to beat a dead horse here. What is getting anything in writing from your SA going to prove?

You have a gap, no one is denying that. You said yourself in your very first post that you have 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap after installing the vrsf.

You say above stock has 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap. Seems you are close to if not right on where the stock sits.

fwiw, I took a look at mine (stock), there is a 1/4 inch gap (I can stick a drinking straw though the gap).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #47
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat
Quote:

Thanks
I know for a fact you are not learning fractions in Grade 1 math...

Me thinks you are starting to beat a dead horse here. What is getting anything in writing from your SA going to prove?

You have a gap, no one is denying that. You said yourself in your very first post that you have 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap after installing the vrsf.

You say above stock has 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap. Seems you are close to if not right on where the stock sits.

fwiw, I took a look at mine (stock), there is a 1/4 inch gap (I can stick a drinking straw though the gap).
It's advertised as identical to stock and its not identical to stock. Your point to argue that is making you look like a troll or just seem dumb. No offence intended.
Like I said I will measure the gap this weekend and post back with the results. If its anything over 1/4" different then stock then there's clearly an error in hardware, marketing or both.
There's no beating a dead horse here I bought a product and expected it o be as advertised. Just because tiago is a vendor here and has a following of happy customers doesn't make my claim any less valid.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #48
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's advertised as identical to stock and its not identical to stock. Your point to argue that is making you look like a troll or just seem dumb. No offence intended.
Like I said I will measure the gap this weekend and post back with the results. If its anything over 1/4" different then stock then there's clearly an error in hardware, marketing or both.
There's no beating a dead horse here I bought a product and expected it o be as advertised. Just because tiago is a vendor here and has a following of happy customers doesn't make my claim any less valid.

Thanks
A troll. Come on. Until you get more precise with your measurements I am merely pointing out that you are potentially contradicting yourself. You say in your first post you are out 1/4" after install. Then you say in post above the stock is 1/4" below rad. Which I have confirmed it is about 1/4".

Not to mention your story seems to change with almost every post you make. First it the gap is a problem, then you are fine with it (or can at least deal with it), then it is a problem again. You say it is advertised to fit flush on 335 but no mention of 135 sitting flush. Then it wasn't actually advertised like that, but it is what tiago told you. Then you are done posting in this thread and then you are not. Then you realize the stock one does not actually fit flush, but also has a gap. <sigh>

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate concern, but the dead horse you keep beating is we know you have a gap - one that is greater than what you had with stock. You are not happy that the product was misrepresented. Point made.

It sounds like Tiago has tried to make things right by offering a refund. I get that you don't want to pay shipping and restocking fee. don't blame you. Honestly, if I were him, in this case, I would have probably eaten the costs to have it returned, but that is neither here nor there.

You keep talking about this gap and how it is not fitting as advertised, but unless I missed it, I am not clear what you are looking for at this point. An admission that it is not identical to stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #49
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat
Quote:

Thanks
A troll. Come on. Until you get more precise with your measurements I am merely pointing out that you are potentially contradicting yourself. You say in your first post you are out 1/4" after install. Then you say in post above the stock is 1/4" below rad. Which I have confirmed it is about 1/4".

Not to mention your story seems to change with almost every post you make. First it the gap is a problem, then you are fine with it (or can at least deal with it), then it is a problem again. You say it is advertised to fit flush on 335 but no mention of 135 sitting flush. Then it wasn't actually advertised like that, but it is what tiago told you. Then you are done posting in this thread and then you are not. Then you realize the stock one does not actually fit flush, but also has a gap. &lt;sigh>

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate concern, but the dead horse you keep beating is we know you have a gap - one that is greater than what you had with stock. You are not happy that the product was misrepresented. Point made.

It sounds like Tiago has tried to make things right by offering a refund. I get that you don't want to pay shipping and restocking fee. don't blame you. Honestly, if I were him, in this case, I would have probably eaten the costs to have it returned, but that is neither here nor there.

You keep talking about this gap and how it is not fitting as advertised, but unless I missed it, I am not clear what you are looking for at this point. An admission that it is not identical to stock?
Maybe my posts seem scattered - understandable as I've been monitoring 3 threads on this issue. You get my concern, great. This is to bring attention to the product not fitting tight as advertised for future e8x owners that plan to purchase vrsf intercoolers.

Like I said ill get more accurate measurements this weekend. My initial views of the intercooler and measurement by eye may have not been completely accurate as previously with the stock intercooler a gap was not noticeable. I threw out 1/4"-1/2" when in fact it may be closer to 1/2"-1". Again proper measurements to follow Friday.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #50
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe my posts seem scattered - understandable as I've been monitoring 3 threads on this issue. You get my concern, great. This is to bring attention to the product not fitting tight as advertised for future e8x owners that plan to purchase vrsf intercoolers.

Like I said ill get more accurate measurements this weekend. My initial views of the intercooler and measurement by eye may have not been completely accurate as previously with the stock intercooler a gap was not noticeable. I threw out 1/4"-1/2" when in fact it may be closer to 1/2"-1". Again proper measurements to follow Friday.

Thanks
Keep us posted. I will chime in once I get mine installed (hopefully over the next week or 2).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Foghat I gave him a 1/16 to 1/8" measurement taken from my 2013 135is delivered last week. Don't think he is trolling because he could have used my 1/16" & been accurate for a troll. Obviously there will be production variances between stock cars as well as aftermarket versions.

The ETS 5" in my 335is fits snug against the radiator so in that case it fits better that my stock 135is unit from a looks point of view. Have no dog in the fight just provided some measurements.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #52
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

I never thought him a troll. My 'A troll. Come on.' statement was in response to him implying I may be one.

It sucks the gap is there. And I think he as the vrsf up for sale. I can't understand paying a fair bit more (plus the loss on the vrsf) for another IC for only a cosmetic benefit. But that is me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Foghat I gave him a 1/16 to 1/8" measurement taken from my 2013 135is delivered last week. Don't think he is trolling because he could have used my 1/16" & been accurate for a troll. Obviously there will be production variances between stock cars as well as aftermarket versions.

The ETS 5" in my 335is fits snug against the radiator so in that case it fits better that my stock 135is unit from a looks point of view. Have no dog in the fight just provided some measurements.
Thanks dude didnt know you were a member here I would have me to mentioned you
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #54
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I never thought him a troll. My 'A troll. Come on.' statement was in response to him implying I may be one.

It sucks the gap is there. And I think he as the vrsf up for sale. I can't understand paying a fair bit more (plus the loss on the vrsf) for another IC for only a cosmetic benefit. But that is me.
No problem to both of you . Just providing info that was asked for. That being said if it was me & it might be me once the 135is broken in I would at 1/8” or so just leave it alone.

If it was big 1/2” or so I would either shim it or fold a piece of stainless sheet metal to close the gap.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #55
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Is it possible to trim fixing points on VRSF Fmic and to weld them to more correct position?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Is it possible to trim fixing points on VRSF Fmic and to weld them to more correct position?
Do you mean the mounting tabs on the side? I don’t see why not, it wouldn’t be too difficult if you’re careful. I don’t think anyone’s done this before though, so approach with caution. Worst case if it doesn’t work out you can always just fab up new brackets in the original location.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #57
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
It's something I wouldn't say is required. If you have a gap due to lack of weatherstripping, the correct fix would be to add some weather stripping

If you were so inclined to install the FMIC without weather stripping and wanted to remove the gap, an angle grinder could easily shave 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch off the top of the mounting tabs without affecting the structural integrity.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #58
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

There is no weather stripping on my stock IC or rad. I haven't seen any weatherstripping on tiago's provided install photos or on any 135i for that matter. If anyone has a picture showing weather stripping on a e82 please post. FWIW my '08 never had weather stripping from the factory. If its required for install it should be provided by the IC manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #59
BEAR-AvHistory
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
It's something I wouldn't say is required. If you have a gap due to lack of weatherstripping, the correct fix would be to add some weather stripping

If you were so inclined to install the FMIC without weather stripping and wanted to remove the gap, an angle grinder could easily shave 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch off the top of the mounting tabs without affecting the structural integrity.
I did not see any on either of mine.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #60
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Measured the gap today it's 1/2". Not identical to stock not sure if its a defect or what but ill be getting it into a shop to shave the tabs a bit to bring it up to stock height.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #61
mattE82
-
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Sedona Red

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I was thinking about buying the 5", is there the same fitment issue as well?
      04-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #62
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattE82
I was thinking about buying the 5", is there the same fitment issue as well?
Going to have to ask tiago about that one. I just re measured and I'm closer to 5/8-3/4"... Screws are still super tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #63
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

My stock 135i (2011 N55) has about 1/4" gap (maybe 5/16") and no weatherstripping.

If that does anything for anyone. I took a look when I checked to see what you guys were talking about.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #64
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Finished my install. I saw a bit of a gap with the factory IC and no weather stripping. With the VRSF installed it looks about the same. The gap is definitely smaller than the picture Angerman posted. I did not choose to remove the front most honeycomb so I could not measure. I think this is a non issue.

There is one row on the intercooler that is below the fan shroud. That 1/2" or so is also the total height difference between the factory and VRSF.
      04-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #65
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

I just had mine installed on Friday. I too cannot measure due to the honeycomb, but it looks to be about the same as it was before with stock ic. I'd say about a 1/4" gap or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #66
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

The car definitely comes with a piece of weather stripping that slide on to the bottom edge of the radiator. They are not attached with adhesive so they sometimes come off at speed. I noticed this before replacing my FMIC when half the weather stripping was pushed back and chewed up by the radiator fan. I order a replacement (part# 17117793752) for around $10 and super glued it to the edge of the radiator. It has stayed put ever since. They sent two so I just measured the extra piece. From where it attaches to the the bottom edge of the radiator, it hangs down 10mm. In other words, it would fill a 10mm gap.
Appreciate 0