BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
classick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Exclamation Rear 3rd break light cover issues

Hey what's up. I have a 2008 135i who's 3rd rear break light broke off on its own. I took it to BMW today and they are telling me I have to pay $252.00 to replace it. In August 2010 they had a recall on that specific piece. When I told the guy about it, he gave me a nasty attitude and said that it was replaced once and that they don't replace it twice. Is this true? To top things off my orb light is supposedly out according to them and that will cost me $500+++ to replace even though I still have my extended warranty.

Sigh...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Do a search on here, but the brake light issue is very common and if the dealer doesn't honor it that's total BS. Try speaking with a manager. Mine was done twice under warranty and it is starting to crack AGAIN. Since I've been out of warranty for some time I'm going to push for a good-faith replacement at my dealer.

I have no idea what an "orb light" is so can't help you with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
classick
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

I spoke to the manager at Bloomfield BMW and he stated because it was replaced once already under recall that they could not honor it. I stated that when it was first replaced my stock 3rd break light cover was never cracked or damaged to begin with and that it never needed to be replaced. The manager stated that I had to call the main head quarters to see if they would replace it for free. So I basically called BMW of North America and they stated that because mine was replaced in August of 2010 that its already passed the two year guarantee. I explained that when it was called in for the recall it was never cracked or broken to begin with, they stated it didn't matter. To replace the cover alone was $252.00 and labor was $350.00++. I might as well of bought an after market carbon fiber trunk. I'm really disappointed in BMW. I would understand that if I broke something myself, but the part completely fell off on its own, where's the quality in that?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Wait….they wanted $350 in labor to replace the third brake light? Please tell me you’re joking. Either way, that’s pretty poor on BMW’s part. It’s a defective design that has broken on just about everyone’s car, yet they won’t get you a new one? Disappointing…

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Rear trunk center brake light - bmw p/n #63257164978 - $55 discounted at most BMW mail order shops.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...55&hg=63&fg=25

Its not very hard to install the third brake light yourself. You might want to but a few extra plstic expanding plugs for the trunk lid carpet. Other that that, its an easy job.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
papi gaston
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Rear trunk center brake light - bmw p/n #63257164978 - $55 discounted at most BMW mail order shops.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/ind...&siteid=214672

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...55&hg=63&fg=25

Its not very hard to install the third brake light yourself. You might want to but a few extra plstic expanding plugs for the trunk lid carpet. Other that that, its an easy job.
Thank you for the very helpful information.
My center tail light suddenly popped out like a big bang. The red plastic separated from the white housing, that was pulled in by 4 strong spring loaded mountings.
I ordered the OEM part that requires some "extensive touch ups" to clear the hood metal tab and the design is pretty precise so the white housing has to be shave off at the junction with the red transparent plastic.

The replacement went very fast and easy, EXCEPTED THAT I DID NOT TIGHTEN THE 4 NUTS TO COMPRESS THE SPRINGS AS ORIGINALLY THEY WERE (COMPLETELY TO THE ENDS OF THE THREADS), BUT ONLY 3 TURNS FROM THE FIRST THREADS. (I am not sure on why the assembly needs 4 "heavy springs" to be hardly compressed to hold it?)
Attached Images

Last edited by papi gaston; 05-13-2015 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: MORE INFORMATION
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi gaston View Post
Thank you for the very helpful information.
My center tail light suddenly popped out like a big bang. The red plastic separated from the white housing, that was pulled in by 4 strong spring loaded mountings.
I ordered the OEM part that requires some "extensive touch ups" to clear the hood metal tab and the design is pretty precise so the white housing has to be shave off at the junction with the red transparent plastic.

The replacement went very fast and easy.

^^thanks for posting those pics.
Appreciate 0