BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Notes from my first track day

I participated in my first track day a couple weeks back at Streets of Willow. A few notes:

The participants were generally a good bunch -- friendly, social and helpful -- and they brought a wide variety of cars at all price points including two poor rental cars that were flogged to within an inch of their lives. Most people seemed to be there for personal enjoyment, though there were a handful of boy racers that didn't follow the rules and clearly had something to prove. Still, they were fairly easy to ignore.

There was a bit of learning curve on the early runs as there's a lot going on: memorizing the track, figuring out the line, understanding the dynamics of the drivers around you, remembering to watch for and respect the flags, etc. Heck, even driving with a helmet on was a new experience for me!

Over the course of the day, I got into the groove and really enjoyed myself. By late in the day, about half of the participants left for one reason or another (it was a looooong Sunday that started quite early) so the track really opened up. On the first 2 laps of my last run, I let a few faster cars pass me and I passed a few slower cars, so I had no one in front of me for 3 complete laps of the track. That really allowed me to push the car at my comfort level and refine my line. Suffice to say me and my ride were smiling together from ear to ear and mirror to mirror.

I found that my car is setup quite well for my level of skill, which is a nice way of saying it has more grip than I have skill and balls at this point, and it's quite neutral with a square setup -- there was no excessive understeer and no signs of creeping snap oversteer. I was surprised at how hard I could push the car without feeling like it was near the limits of control. If nothing else, you really get to understand your car in a track situation.

I have to admit to one thing I'd rather not: while I strongly prefer manual transmissions in general, I can see where a good semi-automatic transmission would be helpful for track driving. Case in point: while accelerating hard out of the bowl at Streets into the downhill section (running clockwise) in 2nd gear, the 128i manual gearing demands a 2nd to 3rd shift at a time when it's advisable to keep two hands firmly on the wheel (picking up speed coming out of a tight curve with a 20 degree bank into a downhill straight). It's tricky, but I pulled it off decently well a few times. I also tried carrying more speed into the curve and hitting a late apex so I could come out of the turn in 3rd and keep the accelerator pegged. I didn't track lap times, but all the experimenting and learning was enjoyable.

In summary, I'm hooked and I plan to return for another event at Willow Springs later this year. I may also venture out to other local tracks. For anyone considering a first track day, I think the Speed Ventures group put on a great event.
Attached Images

Last edited by simianspeedster; 04-24-2014 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds fun.

Once you learn the manual skills required for track use, it's more fun than auto boxes there, as well. But, it can be a lot when you're doing it all for the first time.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #3
135iam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6mt

I had the same issues shifting when I got into track days. Eventually I got tired of sliding around in my seat, bruises on the sides of both knees, and trying to steer and hang on to the steering wheel.

A proper race seat and 6 pt harness fixes all that and my confidence and lap times improved significantly.

Just depends on how big a hit you wanna take off the go fast crack pipe!

Trackdays can be a ton of fun
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Why did you put so much tap in front of your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Faulal
Flatlander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 335xi 2009

I assume you have stock suspension? what tires and sizes are you running?
I do get understeer and even with 1M/M3 suspension and negative camber.
Is the 128i that much lighter in the front end then the 135i? Does this weight difference benefit cornering ability and tire wear that well?
135i Mods: MHD / cp-e FMIC + Mounted Oil Cooler / BMS Downpipes / aFe Stage 2 Intake / Berk Exhaust / BMS OCC / Dinan Camber Plates / Apex EC-7 Wheels / 1M Suspension Bits / Koni & TC Kline SA Struts / Quaife LSD
335xi Mods: MHD / JB4 / DocRace ST 6062 / PhoenixRace FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #6
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
Why did you put so much tap in front of your car?
The runoffs around Streets of Willow have a fair amount of rocks and such that sometimes end up on the track, so I wanted to protect the front end from chips. Cheesy as they are, I might use a bra next time.

Last edited by simianspeedster; 05-23-2014 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulal View Post
I assume you have stock suspension? what tires and sizes are you running?
I do get understeer and even with 1M/M3 suspension and negative camber.
Is the 128i that much lighter in the front end then the 135i? Does this weight difference benefit cornering ability and tire wear that well?
My car has the BMW Performance Suspension and a square setup with 225/40-18s Michelin PSS tires all around on lightweight Apex 18x8 wheels. It's setup as a compromise between street drivability and track performance and it's simply perfect for my needs.

The car was exceedingly neutral around the track. I left the traction control on for my first time out on the track, but there was very little understeer -- it just gripped and gripped and, when it started to let go, it was gradual and neutral. It was so much more pleasurable to drive than my previous car (335i Coupe w/stock staggered M-Sport setup) which understeered significantly.

My understanding is that the 128i is a decent bit lighter up front. The overall weight difference is around 175 lbs., and I'd bet most of the savings is over the front axle considering the engine differences. My tires show mild feathering and wear on the edges after my first day out (about 120 minutes of track time in all), but the wear was fairly equal between front and rear.

I'm really pleased with how my car works at the track and I'm going again in a few months.

Last edited by simianspeedster; 05-23-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Sounds fun.

Once you learn the manual skills required for track use, it's more fun than auto boxes there, as well. But, it can be a lot when you're doing it all for the first time.
Yeah, I expect I'll be able to focus more on shifting points when I hit the same track again because the other factors will not be as new to me. No regrets on the manual, of course -- it'll just take time in a track setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

One more follow-up: my wife surprised me by contacting the photography company who was present at my track day, and she ordered and framed a print of a great action shot that they took.

The guy behind me was driving a 545i, and while he had about 100HP on my car, he appeared to have stock suspension and tires so he couldn't keep pace with me in the turns. Streets of Willow has 2 straights and neither is too long, so I think the extra handling/grip was more beneficial than the extra power. We had some fun together for 3-4 laps!
Attached Images

Last edited by simianspeedster; 05-23-2014 at 03:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Really like the color, and the wheels. AERO-7s are very under-represented here on 1addicts! Glad you had a great time.
      07-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Another 128i fellow here, took mine for an open lap day in CO last Friday, loved it. Full stock (sport pack, manual, running on Continental Extreme Contact DW (summer)), I was really happy about the neutral behavior of the 128i (no understeer - but it was my first time as well, maybe if I did push harder would have felt it) and the brakes, I religiously deflated my tires between each run and loved the way the tires handled. I did my first session as a passenger in my friend's Cayman S and was expecting the 128i to behave like a boat in comparison. Boy was I positively surprised. My car was one of the slowest on the track (other than an other friend Genesis Coupe V6 handicapped by its auto gearbox that kept overheating and its tires)
      07-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I have to admit to one thing I'd rather not: while I strongly prefer manual transmissions in general, I can see where a good semi-automatic transmission would be helpful for track driving. Case in point: while accelerating hard out of the bowl at Streets into the downhill section (running clockwise) in 2nd gear, the 128i manual gearing demands a 2nd to 3rd shift at a time when it's advisable to keep two hands firmly on the wheel (picking up speed coming out of a tight curve with a 20 degree bank into a downhill straight). It's tricky, but I pulled it off decently well a few times. I also tried carrying more speed into the curve and hitting a late apex so I could come out of the turn in 3rd and keep the accelerator pegged. I didn't track lap times, but all the experimenting and learning was enjoyable.
SOW is a good track to learn at, once you get better and go to some other tracks you will never want to go back to SOW (its a dump)

regarding comments above, you should shift earlier so you can be in 3rd and continuously accelerate or, just shift, with the powerband and grip it won't lose traction. you can see that i shift early at some points of the track so i can be accelerating constantly before a turn and in some sections just shift regardless of if im in a turn or not.

Last edited by pkimM3r; 07-29-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iam View Post
I had the same issues shifting when I got into track days. Eventually I got tired of sliding around in my seat, bruises on the sides of both knees, and trying to steer and hang on to the steering wheel.

A proper race seat and 6 pt harness fixes all that and my confidence and lap times improved significantly.

Just depends on how big a hit you wanna take off the go fast crack pipe!

Trackdays can be a ton of fun
you don't need a race seat and a 6 pt harness (and i would not recommend unless you have a full cage)....

all you need to do is slide your seat waaaaay back and recline it...then pull on the seat belt, give it a couple yanks until it locks, then connect it to the receptacle. then while still pulling on the belt so it doesn't have any slack and is still locked, put your seat back into the correct position. then the seat belt will be tight as hell and you will not move around.
Appreciate 0