BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeblet View Post
Great thread - I"m going to add that to the list of items on my next service appt. To me sounds like a rock nailing the windshield. Is that a good analogy to anyone else? Loud pop.
The loud pop was the initial noise that caught my attention. Since I started the thread, the sound seemed to have become less intense in loudness. After work, I drive about 3 miles on surface streets before jumping on the interstate. The pop occurs only once about a minute after 'getting on the gas.'
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #24
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
If its more of a "POP" sound from the dash area its common. Its caused but hot temps outside combined with the materials/fitment in dash. You prob didn't hear them in cooler weather.
I get this as well
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #25
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I'm going to pull apart my dash on monday, and i'll report back if there is any issues with the securing of the airbag.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

After experimentation with the A/C controls and further observation, I believe we are dealing with two different noises: 1) the A/C valve slamming closed; and 2) relative movement between structural members. They sound very different, but both come from the dash area (at least in my car). They happen at different times and under different conditions. Anybody else have this observation?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
Fone Phreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
After experimentation with the A/C controls and further observation, I believe we are dealing with two different noises: 1) the A/C valve slamming closed; and 2) relative movement between structural members. They sound very different, but both come from the dash area (at least in my car). They happen at different times and under different conditions. Anybody else have this observation?
i agree - at first i thought it was something in HVAC system but now i'm thinking something is loose like strut brace or similiar.
If i drive over a speed bump (very slow) CLUNK - or turn left or right - CLUNK -
absolutely BRUTAL.

Going in next week for service, lets see. Fortunately my S.A. is sharp and gets things done, fingers crossed.

I currently HATE driving my car

CLUNK
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #28
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fone Phreak View Post
i agree - at first i thought it was something in HVAC system but now i'm thinking something is loose like strut brace or similiar.
If i drive over a speed bump (very slow) CLUNK - or turn left or right - CLUNK -
absolutely BRUTAL.

Going in next week for service, lets see. Fortunately my S.A. is sharp and gets things done, fingers crossed.

I currently HATE driving my car

CLUNK
A clunk going over a bump can often be the sign of failing or worn front suspension bushings. Common culprits include control arms, tie rod end links, and swaybar end links. These are easy to fix. How many miles have you got?

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #29
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
A clunk going over a bump can often be the sign of failing or worn front suspension bushings. Common culprits include control arms, tie rod end links, and swaybar end links. These are easy to fix. How many miles have you got?
I have the exact same issue. Sometimes does it in reverse and it always comes from the driver side. Any easy way to check? it might be time to upgrade the lower control arms.
      04-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #30
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
I have the exact same issue. Sometimes does it in reverse and it always comes from the driver side. Any easy way to check? it might be time to upgrade the lower control arms.
The easiest way to check is to put the car up on jackstands (suspension must be unloaded), remove the wheel on the affected side, and visually inspect all the bushings. You can do a "shakedown," use your hands to move the control arms and end links around, if there is excessive play in any of the connections, that is an indication of worn bushings. There are a ton of youtube videos on how to replace/repair them. Good luck!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #31
scythe1969
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Subscribing to this, I've been trying to figure out how to describe said clunk noise to pose this exact question. I'm a little relieved to hear that it's not structural... I'm going to check out the A/C theory tomorrow (I do run with the auto circulation setting), the airbag and suspension theories over the weekend. With all the plans for further mods, I don't want any distractions - mentally or financially... :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #32
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

I replied to something like this a while back. I had my cowl off for jb install and there is some type of revolving vent in the firewall in front of the glove box and under that cowl. With the cowl off i noticed at a random time the vent slammed shut leading to the sound we here inside the cabin. It appeara to have something to do with the ac.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #33
Fone Phreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

im at 59k miles - i will def check control arms etc - it sure sounds like ac inner vent door but i gotta start somewhere.
Appreciate 0