BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
lsevenl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quick suggestion needed. Leather care.

The driver side leather bolster area is dry and cracking. Just need a quick recommendation for what product I should use to help remedy this. Las Vegas is a dry place and want to start working on this ASAP before summers. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Detailer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
I'm really enjoying reading your blog. I wish I had seen it before today.

I find your scientific approach to detailing really interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have found the key to good leather care is do it frequently!!! Too many times I read on a forum people complaining how bad their leather looks but they only treat it once or year or after it is dry and cracked.
I think it is important to put some leather conditioner on each month. Maybe more often where you live. Find a product that is easy to use and use it! There are some easy to use wipes that come in a dispenser so you pull out one wipe and give the seat a quick condition. I tried the Mequires wipes they were fine. When I wipe my interior down with some quick detailer I just give my seats a quick wipe. I have always had good luck using Lexol. It leaves the leather a bit sticky for a day but you can tell it is conditioning the leather.
Find a product and use it!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Unless a Premium Leather option was purchased the type of leather upholstery used by ~ 95% of OEM is a multi stratum covering over the leather hide; the top strata is the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Real leather has a recognizable fragrance that is missing from polyurethane and plastic.

Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the steps that will prolong the life of finished leather;
urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation
Appreciate 0