BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Brakes pad due for a change a few questions

I just ordered this

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...921%7CL2*16463

Anyone got any info on these? How good are they and etc? Also can these be used with my OEM rotors? Can i also turn my OEM rotors?

If not, I wanting to get these

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...921%7CL2*16462

But scared it might be crap.

Also any DIY for the rear brake change? i know the front are easy, but the rear is much more complicated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
While Akebono will reduce the brake dust, users have found that the bite (braking) isn't as good as the OEM brake pads.

There is a DIY for brake changes but there isn't anything too different from the front and rear rotors, if you can manage the front you should have no problems with the rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
While Akebono will reduce the brake dust, users have found that the bite (braking) isn't as good as the OEM brake pads.

There is a DIY for brake changes but there isn't anything too different from the front and rear rotors, if you can manage the front you should have no problems with the rear.
thanks for the info! Can i turn my OEM rotors?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnguyen04 View Post
thanks for the info! Can i turn my OEM rotors?
Do you have a brake lathe? Or even better, an on-car brake lathe?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep

I got a shop that can do it. Just wondering if the OEM rotors are turnable since its soo thin.

nvm just gonna get these. very good reviews on the seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280923584445

Last edited by nnguyen04; 05-07-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Centric makes some good quality rotors. I think they are the 125 series. Look into those. U can find them on tirerack and rock auto.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When it comes to brakes... its best to stick with BMW OE parts. Kind of like aftermarket waterpumps... I prefer BMW OE to OEM(aftermarket).

On my old e39... I have gone thru two sets of aftermarket rotors. First ATE and then Bosch. The Bosch ones were really poor performing. I then bough the bullet and bought BMW OE ones. Man do they stop better, and have not warped out on me like the other two aftermarket brands did. Also the BMW rotors were noticeably heavier when I installed them. I did not weigh them, but I could tell they were a few pounds heavier.

As to the OP's Question... can you turn the rotors... yea sure... as long as you have enough meat on them. Measure then rotor thickness and look for the MIN stamping on the edge of the rotor vents. IF you have +2mm I'd say go for turning them. But usually you don't have enough "meat" left on them. Especially if your rotor face has a lip on the edge of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When it comes to brakes... its best to stick with BMW OE parts. Kind of like aftermarket waterpumps... I prefer BMW OE to OEM(aftermarket).

On my old e39... I have gone thru two sets of aftermarket rotors. First ATE and then Bosch. The Bosch ones were really poor performing. I then bough the bullet and bought BMW OE ones. Man do they stop better, and have not warped out on me like the other two aftermarket brands did. Also the BMW rotors were noticeably heavier when I installed them. I did not weigh them, but I could tell they were a few pounds heavier.
I would think any set that have been properly cryo-treated would solve any warping problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
really? I have been running Akebono on my e39, front and back. I have even ran PBR's. Both pads on performance is only a notch less than BMW pads. So I wouldn't go as far as saying they are not as good. They are pretty close to BMW pads.

I wouldn't hesitate getting Akebono. They are very good pads. I have even had some friends put them on their e30's and all were very happy with them. But the lake of break dust is amazing.
      05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
really? I have been running Akebono on my e39, front and back. I have even ran PBR's. Both pads on performance is only a notch less than BMW pads. So I wouldn't go as far as saying they are not as good. They are pretty close to BMW pads.

I wouldn't hesitate getting Akebono. They are very good pads. I have even had some friends put them on their e30's and all were very happy with them. But the lake of break dust is amazing.
Thanks for the inputs guys! Pads coming Monday. As for rotors, I heard good things about brakelabs rotors so I will give them a try and report back.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post

Not sure as I've stuck with OEM pads but users on the forum have experienced this. They're not like some cheap pads but those with experience said there is a difference but nothing to really make other users stay away from.
Appreciate 0