BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #89
t02t
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 135i

1Ms should've came in spacegrey
      10-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #90
MS135I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M-sport 328i

^agree. Looks amazing in SGM.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #91
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SGM 135i

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #92
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Found these posted online from the other weekend -- cool...

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #93
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe View Post
Update:

Trying to make an event this weekend so I stopped by the shop and helped get my 135M buttoned up. There were a couple snags.

Apparently the windshield washer plastic reservoir in the front right fender is shaped differently for a 1M vs. our stock piece. There was not sufficient clearance to secure the right M side marker. So we used a heat gun to reshape the stock reservoir until I can get the 1M version of the reservoir and get that installed.

The 135 stock plastic underbelly panel that connects the 1M bumper splitter/chin to the plastic engine "skid plate" (plastic panel that has the "door" to remove to gain access to the oil pan drain plug) is different. I need to find that part number and order that part. Does anybody know (can provide a URL) of a 1M parts "explosion" diagram online that I can look at?

The M side markers on the fenders don't light up for some reason. The harness plugged right in, so I don't know why they won't light up unless the bulb/LEDs whatever is in there are burned out??? I am by no stretch of the imagination electrically inclined, so any insight on what to check would be *greatly* appreciated! It is not a show-stopper, but I went through a TON of hassle to get those brackets I needed to secure them so having them work would be nice.

The only other installation hassle was installing the side skirts, but that is only because I was not doing the 1M rear conversion at this time and to get a viable working solution now, he had to use my stock side skirts, cut and graft on (plastic work) the wider front section of the 1M side skirt and combine them into one piece for each side. He said it wasn't easy (time consuming), but still *much* cheaper then to tackle the rear quarters. They look good IMO. He said that he was not looking forward to ever having to do that again, so fingers crossed mine never get damaged or I will have to tackle the rear quarters and re-order stock 1M side skirts.

No updated pictures yet because the new pieces need to be buffed out next week after I get back from Summit Point. Which at that point the car will need good detailing inside and out. After that and after it gets buffed and I can steal a nice Fall day THEN I will take it out for proper pics and post them.
Hey man, I've been gawking at your car for the last couple of weeks. I'd been toying with the idea of doing the same experiment, but you've been nice enough to blaze the trail for the rest of us. Thanks for taking the time to explain the "snags" that you had to deal with. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions...

Would you mind telling us all of the extra parts that you had to buy in addition to the bumper/fenders/sideskirts (i.e. that underbelly panel)?

Also, how "time-consuming" was the side skirt mod? I was thinking about doing everything (except for the painting) myself, but since this seems like a bit of a custom job, I'm wondering how much I'd have to spend to get it done by a pro.

And finally, did you ever solve the side marker problem?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #94
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
So cute !!!

Very agressive now I love the power dome !

You could lower the front a bit more maybe ?

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #95
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
So cute !!!

Very agressive now I love the power dome !

You could lower the front a bit more maybe ?
Thanks! I think... I wasn't really going for "cute". Ha! Just kidding...

I like the stance the BMW Performance Suspension kits gives my 1. I used to own a Track Edition 350Z back in the day that was still street legal but over the years I turned it so hardcore for track that I never really drove it much on the street because it only had 3" of ground clearance. I couldn't drive over train tracks or speed bumps without it sounding like I was tearing apart the underbelly of the car. After 2 or 3 years of only driving it to/from the track and to get it inspected annually I decided to sell it because I couldn't enjoy it on the street any more. I don't want to make that same "mistake" with my 1.

With 265's up front and -2.5 camber I can't go any lower or I'll scrape and have clearance issues -- I'd have to roll the 1M front fenders. Maybe in time... Thanks for the kind words tho...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #96
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Hey man, I've been gawking at your car for the last couple of weeks. I'd been toying with the idea of doing the same experiment, but you've been nice enough to blaze the trail for the rest of us. Thanks for taking the time to explain the "snags" that you had to deal with. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions...

Would you mind telling us all of the extra parts that you had to buy in addition to the bumper/fenders/sideskirts (i.e. that underbelly panel)?

Also, how "time-consuming" was the side skirt mod? I was thinking about doing everything (except for the painting) myself, but since this seems like a bit of a custom job, I'm wondering how much I'd have to spend to get it done by a pro.

And finally, did you ever solve the side marker problem?
Thanks! Yesterday afternoon I stopped by my BMW dealership and picked up the 1M underbelly plastic cover and windshield washer reservoir. Unfortunately, (apparently) BMW does not sell just the plastic cover I needed and I had to buy the entire plastic "skid plate" cover for under the engine.

I still need to get my 1 back to the shop to get the newly painted parts buffed and to get the reservoir installed. I can do the underbelly plastic cover and depending on how long it takes my area to get power and mostly cleaned up from Hurricane Sandy (my area was affected, but we generally fared better than those unfortunate individuals in NJ and other hard hit areas, so I am thankful for that and my thoughts go out to those more affected by this natural disaster) I might just install the reservoir too -- just easier if the car was up on a lift.

I don't have entire parts list for this conversion compiled yet; however, if you PM me I can send you my BMW dealership Parts Advisor contact information as he has it readily available I'm sure and if you are interested I'm sure he could get you the parts. Just for saying, I am not affiliated with that dealership in any way nor do I or would I make anything on any transactions. For me, I tried to go the ER WBFE Kit, but that fell through and this route (for the parts) ended up being cheaper.

I still don't have the 1M side markers working, but I have not done much with that yet given my schedule and Sandy. My contact at the BMW dealership said he would investigate for me. Fingers crossed it is something as simple as a fuse or that they need to plug into the car and tell the car that LEDs are present or something like that.

Personally, after doing all this the biggest disappointment is that I lost my stock brake cooling ducts in the plastic bits behind the front fender. I did not realize that a 1M would not have built-in ducting for brake cooling like a stock 135 does! However, my oil and water temps were lower than usual the other weekend, but I don't know if that was because of the 1M plastic bits behind the front bumper channeling more air to those coolers or if it was due to the cooler Fall air. I'm sure a combination of both. So the shop that install this conversion for me I am going to work with him to fabricate me custom brake cooling ducts and I'll buy that orange high temp hose to complete the setup.

The side skirts are one-off's (custom) -- a combination of my stock 135 side skirt with the wider front section of the 1M side skirt cut and grafted on. I wish I didn't have to do that as I really liked the 1M side skirt design, but it stuck out in the rear and my budget and time tables didn't allow for me to perform a rear conversion as well. Like I said earlier, if they ever get damaged, I'll have to order the 1M side skirts and do a rear conversion as well. Fingers crossed they never get damaged. So essentially, the 4 side skirt were each cut into two pieces (total of 8 side skirt pieces). With ~85% of the stock side skirt in tact the front wider section of the 1M side skirt was grafted on (he said ~20 hours of plastic work) to make a final custom stock 135 side skirt with 1M front section. Personally, I think he did an awesome job, but he said he wasn't looking forward to having to do that again, so don't eff'em up!

So for now the two unanticipated "snags" and disappointments are 1M side markers not lighting up for some reason (I had really hoped that they would be plug-n-play) and the loss of my brake cooling ducts (albeit token as they were, but they did function and help as not having them the other weekend was very noticeable). Both of which I hope to resolve before December.

Hope that helps...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #97
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

However, having said all that. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I love the look, the stance and running 265's at all 4 corners is awesome (handling-wise and in appearance). Of course, IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #98
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Great, thanks for the info. I was also just thinking about doing the front end, since the rear is apparently especially difficult because of the welded quarter panels.

Sounds like the biggest issue for me would be the side skirts (I'm pretty comfortable with electrical work, so I wouldn't mind tinkering with the sidemarkers... and it seems like the brake ducts didn't have a huge functional problem). 20 hours of labor sounds like a lot of money, and it sounds intricate enough so that I'd probably screw it up if I tried to do it myself. Maybe I should talk to some of the local shops to see what they could do...
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #99
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just got an email from my contact at my local BMW dealership this morning stating, "using the spare lamp I got for testing outside of the car, he [shop foreman] reversed the polarity and the LEDs lit up." So I am hopeful that they can get it working for me; of course, I'll have to pay them, but I'm hoping that it will only be 1 hour or less of their labor time.

As for the side skirts, I agree. Everything else was a direct bolt-on. I would figure that you plan to pay for a similar custom side shirt solution OR budget to tackle the 1M rear conversion. I will say that although my installer did mention that it took him 20 hours, which I assume 10 hours for each side skirt, he did not charge me for all that, but he has helped me with many of my car projects over the years and is helping me to finish my dedicated Porsche track car project.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #100
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Do you think he might be able to do it more quickly the second time around? Maybe I should ask him how much he'd charge me to do the same job, since he might be the most experienced person now that he's done two of them.

I'm just imagining the look on the face of a local body shop guy when I tell him that I want him to splice two side skirts together for me. It'll either be a look of "that's ridiculous, stop dreaming" or "$$$$"...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #101
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I think... I wasn't really going for "cute". Ha! Just kidding...

I like the stance the BMW Performance Suspension kits gives my 1. I used to own a Track Edition 350Z back in the day that was still street legal but over the years I turned it so hardcore for track that I never really drove it much on the street because it only had 3" of ground clearance. I couldn't drive over train tracks or speed bumps without it sounding like I was tearing apart the underbelly of the car. After 2 or 3 years of only driving it to/from the track and to get it inspected annually I decided to sell it because I couldn't enjoy it on the street any more. I don't want to make that same "mistake" with my 1.

With 265's up front and -2.5 camber I can't go any lower or I'll scrape and have clearance issues -- I'd have to roll the 1M front fenders. Maybe in time... Thanks for the kind words tho...

Okay, I understand better now !

But, it's perfect too, I love the configuration bro' Don't worry !

The pics of the trackday are very nice too

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #102
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Do you have any estimates or idea of how mush the rear conversion would cost you?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #103
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Do you have any estimates or idea of how mush the rear conversion would cost you?
No, not yet. Next on my car project to-do list is to finish my Porsche dedicated track car this winter. Then next Spring/Summer will be an LSD for my 135iM *THEN* either power mods or 1M rear conversion.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #104
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Do you think he might be able to do it more quickly the second time around? Maybe I should ask him how much he'd charge me to do the same job, since he might be the most experienced person now that he's done two of them.

I'm just imagining the look on the face of a local body shop guy when I tell him that I want him to splice two side skirts together for me. It'll either be a look of "that's ridiculous, stop dreaming" or "$$$$"...
I talked to my installer because I still have to get my 1 back to his shop to get the 1M parts buffed and to get the 1M windshield washer reservoir installed. That is tentatively penciled in for the 13th. I asked him for you and he said sorry but he is not taking on any new projects right now. Sorry man, I tried...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #105
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

1M Front-End Conversion Parts List

Below is the 1M parts list that the Parts Advisor at my local BMW dealership and I put together and that I had installed on my 135i to transform it into a 135iM. You only need one of each part listed below.

Note: I hated my pop-up headlight washers. They always sprayed when I least expected them to and always left the rest of my car (hood, etc.) sudsy, so I ordered the 1M front bumper without provisions for headlight washers and had my installer remove them and fabricate me a plug for the windshield washer reservoir.

51-11-8-057-717 Trim Cover Bumper P
51-11-7-900-764 Grid, Center
51-11-8-051-613 Flap, Towing Eye, P
51-11-8-053-877 Set of Covers
51-77-8-052-517 Supporting Ledge Le
51-77-8-052-518 Supporting Ledge Ri
51-64-8-051-987 Headlight Bracket
51-64-8-051-988 Headlight Bracket
51-74-8-051-605 Air Duct, Engine Oi
51-74-8-051-606 Air Duct, Engine Oi
51-74-8-051-604 Air Duct, Bottom
51-71-8-051-591 Cover, WheelL Housi
51-71-8-051-595 Cover, WheelL Housi
51-71-8-051-596 Cover, WheelL Housi
51-71-8-051-592 Cover, WheelL Housi
51-71-8-045-553 Cover Left
51-71-8-045-554 Cover Right
41-35-8-052-625 Side Panel, Front L
41-35-8-052-626 Side Panel, Front R
51-13-8-051-601 Chrome Clip, Left
51-13-8-051-602 Chrome Clip, Right
51-77-8-053-879 Rocker Panel Trim
51-77-8-053-880 Rocker Panel Trim
51-13-8-051-817 Left Base
51-13-8-051-818 Right Base
51-75-8-051-609 Underhood shield
61-67-8-051-590 Windshield Cleaning
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #106
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Awesome Job!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #107
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Where did you find pics from that weekend?
      11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #108
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I talked to my installer because I still have to get my 1 back to his shop to get the 1M parts buffed and to get the 1M windshield washer reservoir installed. That is tentatively penciled in for the 13th. I asked him for you and he said sorry but he is not taking on any new projects right now. Sorry man, I tried...
Ah, thanks anyway. And thanks for the parts list...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #109
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0123 View Post
Awesome Job!!
Thanks!

Brisbane -- nice. Always wanted to visit there and see the Gold Coast 600 in person. Just watched it on SPEED last weekend. At least what we get of it here in the States (time delayed, compressed format). Great race tho... Love V8 Supercars.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #110
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0123 View Post
Awesome Job!!
Thanks!

Brisbane -- nice. Always wanted to visit there and see the Gold Coast 600 in person. Just watched it on SPEED last weekend. At least what we get of it here in the States (time delayed, compressed format). Great race tho... Love V8 Supercars.
Lol!! It used be better when the Indy cars came to town AND before they banned the topless girls flashing people from the balconies
Appreciate 0