BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Keep it clean

How do you Guy's keep your cars looking LA clean in the hands of the great British weather - rain and wind, and the side effects - mud and crap from trees!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

With great difficulty sometimes.. My car is Sedona, so doesn't show the dirt too much, tends to just look dull rather than dirty.

I've found that an occasional wash with 'wash and wax' will bring out a nice shine that will last for four of five quick hose downs afterwards. I know what you mean about the crap off trees though, real pain in the backside..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

plain and simple, bucket and hotwater with car wash soap.

just has to be done every week!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
jonnyuk06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE

have to agree with changed, clean it everyweek with maquires or something similar, every 3 or 4 washes take the wax of and re-wax. takes hours and hours but has to be done, worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 320d Touring

Don't know about other AW owners, but I find it looks pretty good even when mucky. Always seems quite bright. Wash it most weeks if I have time but lately been every other week.

Main problem seems to be tar spots around the wheelarches, and the front and mirrors being plastered with flies and bugs. The Autoglym tar remover and fly shifter is a great help. Guess mine will need a wax soon.
1999 VW Golf Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet, Jazz Blue (gone)
and an Orange P7 mountain bike!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 03:14 AM   #6
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Sorry Jamze, but I have to clean my car if it gets caught in the rain... think I have OCD's

Not only is a once a week clean essential, but also a monthyl polish/wax and a half yearly full cleanse.

I use Dodo products, and have both the hard and soft wax's specifically for white paint. Could do a whole thread just about the products I use on my car!

There are a few stages:

Preperation
- Wash (Meguiars NXT Shampoo) with lambswool mitt
- Clay bar (Meguiars)
- Swirl remover / paint cleaner (non-corrosive e.g. Clearkote Vanilla Moose Handglaze)

Polish
- Hard Wax (with high carnuba content)
- Allow to seal and then I apply a soft wax
- Apply to bodywork and wheels

Interior
- Leather cream - Gliptone Liquid Leather
- Einzett Matt interior / dash cleaner
- Meguiars NXT Glass cleaner

Always use good applicators and microfibre towels to stop swirling.

Can go into more detail if anyone is interested!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
jonnyuk06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE

jesus, thought i was obsessed moff, i go nuts everytime i see a spec of dust in the car!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #8
perm
Rep
Drives:

Guys,
For what it is worth if you use a paint sealant on your car instead of a wax it will protect the paint for around 6-8 months.

This will not stop you from having to wash your car but would negate the need to apply wax monthly. In addition your car will clean a lot easier as the paint sealant helps stop dirt sticking to the car.

There are lots of different paint sealant sealants available however one of the best is called Zaino. It would take about a day to do the job properly.

Cheers

Perm
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

Can go into more detail if anyone is interested!
if you have the time to type.. i have the time to read!!!

would also be interested in where these products are sourced.. my local halfords doesn't give massive amounts of choice
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
perm
Rep
Drives:

www.detailingworld.co.uk

Is an great place for the people who have OCD about cars !
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

moff - that's impressive!

Hate the interior of mine getting mucky - but have to let the exterior go a bit, would drive me nuts otherwise :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Following on from my last post, I sent the following to a friend who owns a gorgeous red Ferrari 360 and wanted some car cleaning websites and advice:

http://www.parcfermeshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=21

and

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/ and goto Enthusiast section

and

www.cleanandshiney.co.uk

These are the key stages of a full car clean / polish:

Accessories
  • Visit the above sites for good cloths and applicators, don’t use non-microfibre or it will scratch
Preparation
  • Wash with a good car shampoo e.g. Meguiars NXT Wash (I use this)
  • Using a lambswool mitt, different one for the wheels and dirty bits
Paintwork Prep (every 3-6 months)Polish / Wax (every 1-3 months)Wheels / Tyres
  • Meguairs Hot Rim’s Wheel Cleaner £7
  • Chemical Guys New look trim gel £10
Chrome
  • Autosol cream – great shine £5
Leather
  • Gliptone Liquid Leather (search the Internet) – used on Bentleys, only a £10
Interior (dash etc)
  • Einzett Cockpit Premium (matt finish) £7
I wrote that email before discovering Dodo Juice wax which is now my polish of choice and much cheaper than the Zymol!

Other good waxes include: Swissol, Collinite (hard wearing) and Meguiar's NXT.

I personally don't rate Autoglym that highly - it's hard work to buff off, tends to leave a white residue and doesn't last as long as others.

Dodo (hard wax) and collinite last for a long time and the water beads amazing well.

Buy here - http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/sho...and&brand_id=2

This is taken from their website http://www.dodojuice.com
One minute, you're out there with a bucket and gritty sponge, using washing up liquid and whatever else you can find under the kitchen sink. The next, you see something about detailing on a forum, buy a few products and become a slave to the shine. It is inevitable.
Get a bucket, or even better, two. Get a clean sponge. Not the gritty one from the garage floor, but a nice new one. Fill the bucket with warm water and a wax-friendly car shampoo (washing up liquid can contain aggressive detergents, so don't be tempted to use it). Get a hose or jetwash and clear small animals and children from the immediate area. You are the detailing daddy and nothing must distract you or get in your way.
Use the hose or jetwash to wet the car and shift the first layer of dirt, then start sponging on shampoo suds from the roof down. If using two buckets, soak the sponge in the clean one and rinse the sponge in the dirty one. Don't let water levels get too low or sponge from the bottom of the bucket - you're trying to avoid dirt particles getting onto your sponge and turning it into the Devil's own sand paper. Once shampoo'd, rinse the car with clean water from the hose or jetwash and dry with a microfibre, chamois or cotton towel.
Next, if you have a clay bar, use this to eliminate embedded dirt in the paintwork. Then apply a polish or pre-wax cleanser to the car, panel by panel, and buff off with a clean microfibre. The paint surface is now ready to be Juiced.
Apply Dodo Juice waxes sparingly, either by hand or with a foam applicator pad; hard waxes will need to be applied with a pad. Apply panel by panel, allowing 5-10 minutes for the wax to cure and haze over. Don't leave it too long on hot panels or it could 'cake' on. Then buff off with a clean microfibre. Remember, you can cover all your black and grey plastic trim with Dodo Juice - it won't turn it white. Now stand back and admire the shine. Your car is now officially Juiced.
You can top up the wax layer after 24 hours with a second application, or use a 'quick detailing' spray to keep the shine fresh. Dodo Juice will last a few months if you only wash your car using a sympathetic wax-friendly shampoo when it gets dirty. You don't need to keep polishing and waxing it. Just wax it once, then maintain it afterwards until the 'beading' wears off.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perm View Post
Guys,
For what it is worth if you use a paint sealant on your car instead of a wax it will protect the paint for around 6-8 months.

This will not stop you from having to wash your car but would negate the need to apply wax monthly. In addition your car will clean a lot easier as the paint sealant helps stop dirt sticking to the car.

There are lots of different paint sealant sealants available however one of the best is called Zaino. It would take about a day to do the job properly.

Cheers

Perm
Zaino also do excellent car waxes & polishes but it's a nightmare to get a hold of in the UK. The S2000 brigade love this stuff.

Paint sealents can be confused though... as part of my car preperation I use a paint sealent (Poorboys EX-P) but it is no like a Superguard etc that can be purchased from a car dealer.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

For anyone wanting a simple route to a clean beautiful car with products that can be purchased locally I would suggest the following:

Wash - Meguiars NXT or Gold Class shampoo
Prepare (once every 6-12 months) - Meguiars Clay bar (use with Quick detailer)
Wax - Meguiars NXT liquid wax
Wheels - for stubborn brake dust Meguiars Hot Wheels (non-corrosive wheel cleaner
Interior - As per my previous posts, but just buy something that doesn't make the dash shine! 99% of the time, I just use a damp chammy Einszett Cockpit Premium
Leather - Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner

In between cleans if your car has a nice layer of wax you can use Meguiars Quick Detailer and simply spray on and wipe off any dust. I only do this if it hasn't rained in between, if it has I just wash the car as per normal.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Cheers moff, much appreciated.

I did find some places that sell Zaino, but there's only 1 or 2 authorised suppliers in the UK I think. Plus, it's bloody expensive!

I polished and waxed my little chavmobile the other week, as I'll be selling it in a few weeks. It's going to be hard going from washing it (or more likely getting it done in a car wash) once every six months or more, to actually having to look after my new car!

All the dust and crap in the rain means I'm going to have to give it another wash to see how the NXT wax is still beading. Pretty quick and easy to apply though
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I've never seen beading like Dodo Juice!

The water literally falls off the car, check this out:

moff

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

That's awesome. I might have to get myself some of that
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
changed
Lieutenant
Rep

cheers for that moff.. very interesting... i did read the guide in the main forum about detailing which was very informative, but to be honest it confused the hell out of me as there is so much info in it..

i would want to use your simple route to be honest, + maybe a bit more effort when i can!!

now without wanting to sound dumb, if i.....

Quote:
Wash - Meguiars NXT or Gold Class shampoo
Prepare (once every 6-12 months) - Meguiars Clay bar (use with Quick detailer)
Wax - Meguiars NXT liquid wax
Wheels - for stubborn brake dust Meguiars Hot Wheels (non-corrosive wheel cleaner
Interior - As per my previous posts, but just buy something that doesn't make the dash shine! 99% of the time, I just use a damp chammy Einszett Cockpit Premium
Leather - Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner
what about this dodo juice stuff where does that fit in, and is there a difference between 'polish' and 'wax'?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #19
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Polishing is when you use what is essentially a mildly abrasive cream to remove swirls, minor scratches and general crap from the paintwork.

Waxing adds a layer of protection over the now clean and hopefully pristine paintwork
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changed View Post
cheers for that moff.. very interesting... i did read the guide in the main forum about detailing which was very informative, but to be honest it confused the hell out of me as there is so much info in it..

i would want to use your simple route to be honest, + maybe a bit more effort when i can!!

now without wanting to sound dumb, if i.....

what about this dodo juice stuff where does that fit in, and is there a difference between 'polish' and 'wax'?
Dodo Juice is the wax :smile:

It's all trial and error and preference of products. I have been cleaning cars like this for 8 years and take advice from different websites. Back in 2001 when Meguiars came to the UK my car (solid black Audi S3) won their first competition!

Since then I just use stuff based on reviews and personal preference. Many different waxes suit different colours. Also, colours like Silver and grey are a nightmare to get a shine from - solid black and solid red are best.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 02:46 AM   #21
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

That reminds me, I must do mine tonight when I get back from work, hate seeing the muck build up.
      07-01-2008, 03:16 AM   #22
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Was shamed into washing mine last night by moff's post. Might wax it today!
Appreciate 0