BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2015, 07:13 AM   #23
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Went with BMS OCC and RB PCV valve ($40.00). 7,000 miles and it has collected only about 2 ounces of oil.

"The RB PCV Valve solution will not negate the Pro's of Oil Catch Cans, but could reduce what they otherwise collect. It also could be reasoned that those who catch a TON of oil have a less "healthy" internal valve cover PCV valve or PCV systems, or alternatively engines that produce excess blowby. - See more at:"

http://www.rbturbo.com/products/acce....GBUVQOoh.dpuf
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #24
LuLaBells
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Crimson 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
That sounds neat. Do you have any pictures of the install?
I do not have a picture just yet, but I will get one taken as soon as the rain lets up. I could have just installed the can as BMS states but it would have been a huge pain to empty it. The extra 6" or so of hose lets you remove it without unbolting anything, or moving DV lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
Have you looked into Mishimoto? I am waiting to install mine but they have awesome customer service.

http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-n54-baf...7.html#install
I like the mishimoto can and location! I think I will actually look into buying the lines, and making my own bracket for the BMS can.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #25
LuLaBells
Private
Rep

Just finished the install at work. I have to say the BMS can with the Mishimoto hoses is where its at. I made a temp. bracket until I can make myself a better one.

BMR 3.5" SINGLE EXHAUST/ BMS OCC/ DOC RACE 62MM SINGLE KIT/ SPEC STAGE 2 CLUTCH/ SPEC STEEL SINGLE MASS FLYWHEEL/ MOTIV OIL THERMOSTAT DELETE/ BLACK KIDNEYS/ VMR 702/ BMW PERFORMANCE WHEEL, E-BRAKE, KNOB, BOOT/ ARM REST DELETE / ER OIL COOLER /CARBON LIP AND REIGER DIFFUSER / HAWK HPS PADS / 2 PC. FRONT ROTORS DRILLED SLOTTED / DRILLED SLOTTED REAR ROTORS / AA SPORT INTERCOOLER/ VRSF CHARGE PIPE/ TIAL BOV/ JB4
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I am just curious why you would lengthen the hoses so much versus the BMS install?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
LuLaBells
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I am just curious why you would lengthen the hoses so much versus the BMS install?

Mike
To easily access to can is the main reason. After 2 weeks of driving the short lines had oil residue in them. I believe that as time goes by the residue from the lines is what end up dripping into the can. The vapor needs to touch something to become a drop of oil in my opinion. The longer lines should slow the air down, and help collect the oil a little better.

Im in no way bashing BMS for their design, but I believe the placement could have been better. I would rather be under the hood every month if need be, than every other month kicking myself because of the time it will take. I also really like the way it looks!
BMR 3.5" SINGLE EXHAUST/ BMS OCC/ DOC RACE 62MM SINGLE KIT/ SPEC STAGE 2 CLUTCH/ SPEC STEEL SINGLE MASS FLYWHEEL/ MOTIV OIL THERMOSTAT DELETE/ BLACK KIDNEYS/ VMR 702/ BMW PERFORMANCE WHEEL, E-BRAKE, KNOB, BOOT/ ARM REST DELETE / ER OIL COOLER /CARBON LIP AND REIGER DIFFUSER / HAWK HPS PADS / 2 PC. FRONT ROTORS DRILLED SLOTTED / DRILLED SLOTTED REAR ROTORS / AA SPORT INTERCOOLER/ VRSF CHARGE PIPE/ TIAL BOV/ JB4
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #28
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Had to customize the bracket to fit with the Dinan CAI

| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #29
LuLaBells
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yet another good looking install, I might take another look at my car before I make the new bracket.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Thanks LuLaBells. We had to customized the mishimoto bracket with new screw holes. Similar to the Injen intake the Dinan CAI moves the power steering reservoir with new mount.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #31
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

I have the BMS OCC installed and don't like the way we are instructed to leave the PCV system heater connected and just hanging onto the AC lines. I have mine zip-tied to the AC hose but whenever I get inspected for an auto-cross, it draws attention from the inspectors and just looks ghetto; does anyone have a better solution? Like maybe a resistor in place of the heater to prevent the battery from draining, (which happened once when I left it disconnected)?

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #32
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

Quote:
Have you looked into Mishimoto? I am waiting to install mine but they have awesome customer service.

http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-n54-baf...7.html#install
I second Mishimoto. After install, the OCC looks like a stock piece of hardware it fits so well.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #33
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
N54 here, track about 3 - 4 times a year.

Emptied my BMS catch can 3 weeks ago. Almost nothing in it. Tip the container completely upside down, it takes forever to drip out. Ended up using a cloth and cleaning it out and replacing.

Emptied the BMS catch can after 1 year of installation (only tracked once that year), pretty much the same amount.

I'm not sure if it's worth it - doesn't seem to get a lot; then again, that small bit is ending up in the catch can instead of in the intercooler and piping.

FWIW, it's also a pain in the butt to disassemble the cowl and everything to get to the oil catch can. The post above showing the Mishimoto has a clean looking install - I wonder if it's easier to get to and empty out.

I've seen the filters BMS sells to go over the HVAC openings instead of having the cowl - but from what I've read on the Internet they have their negatives.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #34
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
N54 here, track about 3 - 4 times a year.

Emptied my BMS catch can 3 weeks ago. Almost nothing in it. Tip the container completely upside down, it takes forever to drip out. Ended up using a cloth and cleaning it out and replacing.

Emptied the BMS catch can after 1 year of installation (only tracked once that year), pretty much the same amount.

I'm not sure if it's worth it - doesn't seem to get a lot; then again, that small bit is ending up in the catch can instead of in the intercooler and piping.

FWIW, it's also a pain in the butt to disassemble the cowl and everything to get to the oil catch can. The post above showing the Mishimoto has a clean looking install - I wonder if it's easier to get to and empty out.

I've seen the filters BMS sells to go over the HVAC openings instead of having the cowl - but from what I've read on the Internet they have their negatives.
Amount of oil in the catch can differs from one car to another ... On some you have to drain it often on others like yours not so much

But at the end of the day as you said, that small amount would have ended up in the piping instead

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0