BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Depends what driving mood I'm in.

Sprinted driving, something like this:

Chilled driving, something like this:

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #24
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

I like "classic" music: N52

An Inline 6 makes a gorgeous variety of sounds:

A great gurgle at idle, a smooth, un-hurried whirring of precision mechanical parts working together at low revs (and a deep but tolerable bellow if you get on the throttle between idle and 2000rpm), a symphonic, almost 3-dimensional leonine snarl at mid revs, and a scream at the upper end.

Several years ago Road and Track had a great article on why engines sound good - and why some configurations don't. The same properties that produce pleasing music apply to non-musical objects that produce sound, like engines. Even-order harmonics tend to be most pleasing to the ear while odd-order harmonics tend to sound dissonant. What i find interesting is that it seems that the engines with perfect primary and secondary balance - Inline 6's, Flat 6's, and V-12's - seem to have the best sound. Maybe the perfect balance produces even harmonics.

I rarely listen to the radio. That's why I found a pristine 2011 22k mile 128i with Sport package, base radio, and sunroof - I just wanted the chassis, motor, seats, plus a hole in the roof. I remember when BMW's didn't have cupholders... and did have terminal oversteer. The base radio is laughably bad - I love it! It's an enthusiast's car - to me - it doesn't need a trunk of funk/rock/or other any other genre.

The 135i has the addition of turbo sounds and a different character to the exhaust - but I feel that its extra sounds degrade the purity of the motor itself. I say this not to offend 135i drivers - I love that model too - it's outrageously fast and punchy - just stating my preference. I've always been an "all motor" guy - and I hear a lot of "whoosh" when the 135i gets on the throttle to me - that's not motor sound in my book.

Motor sound to me should be a combination of intake, mechanical bits turning, and unfettered exhaust.

The 128i sounds more elegant to me. To each, his own.

I prefer an Inline 6 to a V-8, hands down, though European style high revving V-8's do have their moments. (That being said, two American V-8's sound very good to me: the Cadillac Northstar and the Ford Coyote, though the 5.0's sound tube thing is stupid and unnecessary. Superb engines - of course, they're both DOHC designs)

A flat 6 sounds great, but not so much at the lower end of the rev range.

A V12 sounds fabulous from idle to redline, as it should - it's two Inline 6's working together.

BTW, I'm a sound mixer by trade (dialogue, not music)

Last edited by 2tonik; 06-18-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
Jewbacca
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i cpe w/M pkg&PPK

Tool, Rush, Led Zeppelin, System of a Down, Radiohead (nighttime driving), The Police...etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
BeachGeek
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 135i

I enjoy listening to Electronic while cruising, and some heavier screaming music while driving spirited!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Combination of Electronic, hip hop(old skool Pac, biggie, Nas, Gangstarr) and some 80's hits along with some light Jazz. I know odd combo.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #28
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

For spirited drives I usually listen to Dinka. Shes my fav progressive trance artist. The rest of the time everything from classical Chopin (Im a piano player) to notorious BIG. I have an appreciation for most music

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #29
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Terrier View Post
An Inline 6 makes a gorgeous variety of sounds:

A great gurgle at idle, a smooth, un-hurried whirring of precision mechanical parts working together at low revs (and a deep but tolerable bellow if you get on the throttle between idle and 2000rpm), a symphonic, almost 3-dimensional leonine snarl at mid revs, and a scream at the upper end.

Several years ago Road and Track had a great article on why engines sound good - and why some configurations don't. The same properties that produce pleasing music apply to non-musical objects that produce sound, like engines. Even-order harmonics tend to be most pleasing to the ear while odd-order harmonics tend to sound dissonant. What i find interesting is that it seems that the engines with perfect primary and secondary balance - Inline 6's, Flat 6's, and V-12's - seem to have the best sound. Maybe the perfect balance produces even harmonics.

I rarely listen to the radio. That's why I found a pristine 2011 22k mile 128i with Sport package, base radio, and sunroof - I just wanted the chassis, motor, seats, plus a hole in the roof. I remember when BMW's didn't have cupholders... and did have terminal oversteer. The base radio is laughably bad - I love it! It's an enthusiast's car - to me - it doesn't need a trunk of funk/rock/or other any other genre.

The 135i has the addition of turbo sounds and a different character to the exhaust - but I feel that its extra sounds degrade the purity of the motor itself. I say this not to offend 135i drivers - I love that model too - it's outrageously fast and punchy - just stating my preference. I've always been an "all motor" guy - and I hear a lot of "whoosh" when the 135i gets on the throttle to me - that's not motor sound in my book.

Motor sound to me should be a combination of intake, mechanical bits turning, and unfettered exhaust.

I prefer an Inline 6 to a V-8, hands down, though European style high revving V-8's do have their moments. (That being said, two American V-8's sound very good to me: the Cadillac Northstar and the Ford Coyote, though the 5.0's sound tube thing is stupid and unnecessary. Superb engines - of course, they're both DOHC designs)

A flat 6 sounds great, but not so much at the lower end of the rev range.

A V12 sounds fabulous from idle to redline, as it should - it's two Inline 6's working together.

BTW, I'm a sound mixer by trade (dialogue, not music)
I like your thinking man. I think you just described how I feel about car sounds in a way I was never really able to. I usually just tell people I'm an exhaust whore lol. Lots of them dont understand when I say theirs certain cars I'd buy simply for just how they sound. Like an e34 m5. To me that s38 is one the best sounding silky smooth rev ripping straidht 6's bmw ever made with some amazing harmonics. I too prefer the sound of a straight 6 (ocationally V formation) over v8.

2013 BMW 135i Alpine white/coral red JB4 stage 2/ AFE stage 2 sealed intake box/ VRSF 3.5 inch catless dp/ Dinan exhaust/ Alpine V3 6000k HID angel eyes/ JB speed AW rear lip spoiler/ OEM mud flaps. ER charge pipe/ VRSF 7 inch FMIC forge star CF5s 19x8.5 and 19x9
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #30
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:

*Trying to save space here by cutting*

Probably the best 1st post ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #31
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Quote:
I remember when BMW's didn't have cupholders...
They still don't, the one in my car is as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike.
Appreciate 0