BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Conversation with a total stranger about my car

So its night time and I'm about to get into my car after stopping at a nearby No Frills down in my favourite part of Scarberia. All of a sudden I look over my shoulder and there's this guy standing a few feet from me, probably in his late 20's. He starts to engage me in conversation and it goes something like this...

STRANGER: Hey, hey brother...
ME: Yes?
STRANGER: Where can I get a car like this?

So at this point I'm thinking there's a possibility this conversation is not so subtly leading to an eventual surrender of my keys and wallet...but wait it takes another turn

ME: Uhhh, you could probably try going to a dealer?
STRANGER: Yeah, but where could I get it for a REASONABLE price you know? Like thirteen thousand dollars.
ME: You can't get this car for thirteen thousand dollars. You need to double that and go from there.
STRANGER: WHAT? <walks around to the back of my car and stares at the trunk> This a 2009??
ME: Umm, no, it's a 2008.
STRANGER: Oh. Okay then. <gets into what appears to be a Kia or Hyundai compact and drives off>

So there you have it guys. The reasonable price for a near three year old loaded 128i is really thirteen thousand dollars. Going online it seems that the least expensive CPO'd one you can get at a Canadian dealership, priced at a whopping $29,900, is just completely unreasonable. Okay, so trade-ins are paying out around $24k, still $11,000 too much BMW. Come now.

Let me know when I can get a 1M for $16,500. This $60k sh*t is just outrageously unreasonable. At least he didn't ask me if I wanted to trade...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

lol random conversation xD

Honestly tho, you shouldn't even bother with doing the math on Canadian priced cars, old or new. It's outrageous from the get go. Just look at the US prices.....
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Haha, funny.

Yeah, you're better off not looking at American prices. Ignorance is bliss.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I wasn't really comparing US vs Canadian pricing actually, just hinting that this guy came off as a low baller and wanted something for nothing. He felt $13,000 was reasonable for a used car like ours. He's dillusional and clearly doesn't know that if there's something you want you should work hard for it instead of trying to figure out how to get an outrageous and unrealistic deal. Either that or he really has no clue what cars cost. I'd never go up to a Chevy owner and ask them where I could get their car for 50% less than its current market value.

1M was just an example...yeah okay its gonna way more than the U.S. version of the car but you don't get something for nothing is what I'm saying. Wouldn't go up to an M3 owner and ask where I could get his car for $20k.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I wasn't really comparing US vs Canadian pricing actually, just hinting that this guy came off as a low baller and wanted something for nothing. He felt $13,000 was reasonable for a used car like ours. He's dillusional and clearly doesn't know that if there's something you want you should work hard for it instead of trying to figure out how to get an outrageous and unrealistic deal. Either that or he really has no clue what cars cost. I'd never go up to a Chevy owner and ask them where I could get their car for 50% less than its current market value.

1M was just an example...yeah okay its gonna way more than the U.S. version of the car but you don't get something for nothing is what I'm saying. Wouldn't go up to an M3 owner and ask where I could get his car for $20k.
Don't take too much from it. A lot of people out there don't think when they talk or really are clueless when it comes to cost of euro cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
dread1
typos
Canada
Rep
Drives: US spec 135i

maybe he was hoping you were in a firesale and 5th mortgage
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
dtwyim
Captain