BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #1
missapei
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Exclamation Need Help my 1M

Hi
recentyl i bought a 1m , and i am having problem choosing the BOV system now, which you guys think will be the best set up

1. synapse
2. HKS
3. TURBOSMART

and which chargepipe should i choose? are there any fitment issues with different brand of charge pipe?

Also which is best brand of the DP options here? i heard AR stop making DPs for 1m, i could find them nowhere : (
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I installed an ER CP after my stock pipe shit the bed on stock boost. ER is great fitment and quality, many run it. Recently upgrade to FORGE DVs as I did not want to hear a BOV. Personally if I were to run a BOV I'd choose the most quiet operating one, but that's just me.

Not sure if AR stopped making the N54 DPs, can't imagine they would. There should be enough out there 2nd hand though. I am content w/ mine. Fitment is a 9.5 out of 10 and the welds are nice.

Edit: I have heard the Tial BOV and it is pretty subdue.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Of the three you listed I'd personally pick the Synapse or Turbosmart race port based on sound, but any of those three choices are proven. A plus side of the Synapse is that you can recirculate it if you want less noise.

I personally run a CP-E pipe with Tial Q, the chargepipe is well built and fits well, and love how the bov sounds.

AR Design is no longer in business, the new owners ran the place into the ground. Bang for the buck it's hard to beat the VRSF DPs.

U WOT M8?

Last edited by Snertz; 07-09-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
thatoneguy...
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Not a 1M owner here, but have an N54 135i. I elected to go the HKS route through Mike at N54Tuning.com. He is a forum regular, might want to reach out to him for a special deal, he was awesome to work with. He was running a special on ER chargepipes with the SSQV4 BOV, so I picked it up. I like the HKS because it's different enough, most European modders will opt for Tial or Synapse. The sound is cool, but it definitely is more of a "ricer" sound. Check out Youtube for comparisons. My HKS also came with a recirculation kit, but I didn't install it.

Funny story, had a guy in a Subaru making turbo noises next to me and I think I startled him when I dumped the boost next to his window!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
missapei
Private First Class
Rep

thank you guys for the advice
I am thinking a ER charge pipe set up with turbosmart BOV
somehow i heard that the clearance will be an issues if i run dual pot BOV
or should i go for the race pot instead of dual pot?
iam kind comfused , there is a post saying a guy runs ER charge pipe and dual pot turbosmart BOV ,he had to order a straight pipe from ER to avoid this issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

ER CP w/Tial BOV .. the sound of the BOV is OK .. not too loud or very quiet .. fitment and build of the charge pipe is very good .
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

I went with the ER and HKS combo. Went with this over the Tial because I didn't want to mess with Spring Rates or possibly drilling. Also, the HKS sound can be changed if you're not a fan of the whistle. You can use a different insert for a different sound, or remove it completely to make it a little quieter.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I just did the ER with the Forge "two pot" recirculate type and was a very tight fit but works well with zero noise. I also did VRSF DP and fit was 10/10 and slight increase in exhaust noise with "improved" quality that exactly suited me who mostly wants stealth.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
missapei
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
I just did the ER with the Forge "two pot" recirculate type and was a very tight fit but works well with zero noise. I also did VRSF DP and fit was 10/10 and slight increase in exhaust noise with "improved" quality that exactly suited me who mostly wants stealth.
Did you have the VRSF catless dp? what exhaust did you have?
i remember my n54 had too much noise after the DP
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #10
missapei
Private First Class
Rep

bought the ER + TIAL combo, and getting turbosmart race pot as well, might try the dual port DV later
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
thatoneguy...
Private
Rep

TIAL is a good BOV. Just get it dialed in and I'm sure it'll last you a good while
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
missapei
Private First Class
Rep

I have another question here if you guys can give some advices?
Iam deciding the intercooler options, from all the brands and posts i have read, it came up 2 options : ETS 5' or Wagner EVO 2
ets direct bolt on no cutting required, Wagner bigger surface ,required a bit trim at the botton , my question is , does the extra surface really matter the performace gain? some say the intercooler is nothing to do with how big they are ,it's about the design and the efficiency , iam wondering any of you could explain a little bit more for me ,that would be greatful
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #13
thatoneguy...
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missapei View Post
I have another question here if you guys can give some advices?
Iam deciding the intercooler options, from all the brands and posts i have read, it came up 2 options : ETS 5' or Wagner EVO 2
ets direct bolt on no cutting required, Wagner bigger surface ,required a bit trim at the botton , my question is , does the extra surface really matter the performace gain? some say the intercooler is nothing to do with how big they are ,it's about the design and the efficiency , iam wondering any of you could explain a little bit more for me ,that would be greatful
Why not the tried and true Evolution Racewerkes?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:33 AM   #14
missapei
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy... View Post
Why not the tried and true Evolution Racewerkes?
I need advises , not quiet sure which brand I should go, heard good thing about Wagner Evo2 but it will sit too low and push the bumper down?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
thatoneguy...
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missapei View Post
I need advises , not quiet sure which brand I should go, heard good thing about Wagner Evo2 but it will sit too low and push the bumper down?
Not sure about other brands, but this is the one I see in use the most. I have their charge pipe and it's really well made!
Appreciate 0