BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

You'll be fine with 1 but it's much better to have a pair.

I've had my first VO 1M since I moved back to Vancouver about 3 years ago. Over the years, I couldn't help but put on quite a bit of mods to improve its handling, braking, cooling and at last power for the track. Now it's gotten to a point where it's too loud, too stinky (no cats) too bumpy and too much for the streets.

I don't regret my decision of the mods one bit but since getting several other dedicated track cars, I've lost my interest to track it. A car like this will always have its limits and no amount of mods can fix that. The 1M now sits gracefully as a garage queen that gave me a ton of fun. I've already promised this car for my 4 year old son when he was born so I guess it was never mine lol.

About a year ago, I started having this weird need to drive a stock 1M again but it would be ridiculous to reverse all the mods at this point. Since I began traveling a lot back to Hong Kong, I decided that life's too short to drive an SUV here and I want something fun. As of yesterday, I'm the proud owner of 2 VO 1Ms.

Differences:
Obviously one is LHD and the other is RHD. Subtle differences include a small storage compartment near the steering column, storage compartment with lid where the I drive screen is, electric seats, no cup holder slit, no heated seats, chromish window trim instead of black, car came with Ohlins and my other one has KW, last and probably most surprising is that the info screen between the gauges have this up down arrow which tells you what gear you should be in. I have no idea why it has this feature but my other one definitely didn't have it. Driving it in RHD especially stick is a totally different feeling. I'm naturally a lhd stick driver and it's like learning to drive manual all over again. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd feels very unnatural especially with heel toe. Although they're identical cars, they feel so different to drive and I'm extremely grateful to have this combo in the two places I call home.

Sorry for the long post but I really love the 1M and what it represents. Seeing that a lot of guys from the States are buying up our precious Canadian cars, I really think I should start collecting them before they all leave and maybe never come back. Space permitting, I might end up with 10 more or within the next couple years.
Attached Images

ayao627.50
M3 boi3211.00
      04-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Congrats on the two 1M’s!! It’s a fine line to walk isn’t it, mods vs approachability/liveability. Mines getting less easy and more demanding as things change too. They don’t make a great choice for a track car, there’s too much tech and luxury and too much systems complexity, you want simple light and reliable for a track car.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      04-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

Nice, and congrats on a 2nd 1M

I'd disagree with the above statement, there's not too much lux or tech.
The 1M in base spec (non-nav etc), can be every bit raw. They make very good track cars, with some choice mods, better brakes, suspension and some decent tyres, and they are awesome!
Nkc1600.50
      04-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
Nice, and congrats on a 2nd 1M

I'd disagree with the above statement, there's not too much lux or tech.
The 1M in base spec (non-nav etc), can be every bit raw. They make very good track cars, with some choice mods, better brakes, suspension and some decent tyres, and they are awesome!
Completely agree that the lux and tech is to a minimum which is why its different from the modern BMWs.

Its a fun track car once in a while but to make it really capable, you'll compromise everything that's naturally fun about the 1M. I honestly can't drive my Vancouver 1M on the street anymore because its like bringing a pit bull to a dog park full of kids. I want my golden retriever back hence the urge to get a relatively bone stock one (sans the Ohlins).

Once you track a car regularly, you'll often find more suitable/affordable/reliable options down the road. I had problems keeping the stock power down even with 275F and 295R R888R. With a tune, I pretty much can't use my 1st gear. Can't do full lock. Scraps everywhere I go. Brakes are super sensitive. Too loud. Too Stinky. Alignment is always slightly off and the car reacts to every imperfection on the road. Oil temps was something that kept it from being a sustainable track option for full 20 min sessions. Once the tank is below half tank, you'll risk fuel starvation/limp mode all the time. Is it fun? Hell yes but its like strangling a viper out of every turn and even a Viper ACR is easier to get out of corners with a controlled right foot. Biggest issue with track cars are the consumables and the weight of the car is the biggest contributing factor to that cost.

I got into an Atom 3 supercharged for cheaper than the cost of the 1M. Brakes and tires last a whole season. All it really needs is regular oil changes and the times it post are on the level of the fastest production cars in the world (ie Viper ACR, GT3rs, etc). Going into the open wheel groups, I get to play with the radicals and formula cars which is extremely fun and competitive. With only 1350lbs and 300hp, that to me is a good track car that makes you and your passenger piss yourself every session. The 1M is fun but its best while its in stock form where you can enjoy a mixture of street, canyon carving, and the occasional HPDE. Only mod I would do is KW or Ohlins. Doesn't need to be adjustable, just a good balance between comfort and playablity when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
... last and probably most surprising is that the info screen between the gauges have this up down arrow which tells you what gear you should be in. I have no idea why it has this feature but my other one definitely didn't have it. ...

You can turn that feature ON/OFF by holding the BC button in for few seconds... it definitely worked on my 1M Euro spec, not sure about the US/CAD version but you might wanna give it a go....
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50
      04-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
You can turn that feature ON/OFF by holding the BC button in for few seconds... it definitely worked on my 1M Euro spec, not sure about the US/CAD version but you might wanna give it a go....
Thank you kind sir. I really hate it telling me when to up shift to a more economic gear lol. I'm not even going to try it on my CAD version.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
The feature is not available by default on US-spec 1Ms, but it can be coded from not active to active (enabled). Once enabled, the feature can be turned on/off via the BC button.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #8
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Nice cars. Interesting story.

I took my E60 M5 up Ma On Shan a time or two. Due to living in the Mid Levels on HK Island a more common run I would do was through the Aberdeen Tunnel, over to Tai Tam Reservoir, and then back via Chai Wan and the harbor front highway.

I did enjoy driving in HK. I fully expect your 1M is even more enjoyable due to being more nimble. Enjoy!

If you're ever in need of a good photographer I have a friend still living there that would probably gladly exchange his (albeit amateur) skills for a fun ride in your 1M.