BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Convertible

Angry BT issue turns into stuttering and lag

I have been having issues with Bluetooth connectivity in my car for about 6 months. This has been with multiple phones, Android and Windows (since I work for the carrier I am always testing new devices). When I start the call about 1 out of three times no phone will connect with the car. The only way to resolve this is to turn off the car and remove the key. You cannot reconnect if it isn’t picked up. Other issues include losing the connection while on a phone call and losing streaming while driving. Again this can only be resolved by turning off the car and removing the key before restarting.

I first told BMW about this issue almost 6 months ago. At the time that I stopped in at the stealership the phone connected and was working so it was difficult to show them what was happening. I was shown a website that said that the only phones that were “certified” to work were 5 years old (I have a 2013 model 135). This wasn't good information to get. I was also told that the Bluetooth hardware in the cars had not been updated sine 2005 by the service rep. The most worrying thing that he told me was that BMW wasn't working with the Bluetooth standard stack – so new devices had to be added in via software updates. Since the issue wasn't occurring while there I left without any resolution.

I went about 2 more months with the issue until the car went into the stealership for another issue. Again they said we tested it and it worked perfectly. About 2 weeks after that I got into my car and it wasn’t working so I drive to the service department immediately and didn’t turn off the car until they saw the issue. Finally they said that they would be able to do something. They proceeded to update the Bluetooth software to the latest version and said “its fixed”. As soon as I picked up the car it failed and wouldn’t connect. Back to the loner and the car stayed there.

The stealership then updated all the software on the car including engine management. How this was supposed to resolve a BT issue is beyond me. They again said that the issue was fixed and sent me on my way. About this time I moved from Brisbane to Melbourne. I was given a PUMA case number and was told that this would follow the car. On my 18 hour drive to Melbourne I had to use a 3.5mm jack to have media from my phone since it wasn’t working again.

After the complete software upgrade the car drives like shit. Lag, burbles are gone from the exhaust and the car shudders from some starts. Not what I purchased. I called the stealership before leaving Brisbane about it and was told that as soon as it “learned my driving style” in about 200ks this would be resolved. One would think that a trip to Melbourne from Brisbane would have been far enough but so far the issues persist.

Once in Melbourne I was told to call BMW AU and that they would put together a plan to assist in getting this resolved. That couldn’t have been farther from the truth. They were rude and just said “take it to a dealership” and were unwilling to provide any idea how the stealership is supposed to resolve the issue. They stated, quite clearly, that they are not there to provide support for owners only dealerships. Lovely customer service.

So basically what I have now is a car that not only has BT issues but has engine and tranny issues since the software was updated. I am beyond frustrated since the car is worse than when I originally took it in. I am going to take it into another stealerhsip in Melbourne (most likely Brighton) and see if they can resolve it. Going to be fun driving another crappy 328i.

Has anyone else had issues with engine stutters and lag after the software updates and if so what did you have to do to resolve the issue.

I am upset enough about this that I a seriously considering just dumping the car and getting another brand.
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think you should have a new dealer try to update the BT and engine/trans sw. Sounds to me they installed the new anti-tuner engine SW that BMW rolled out three years ago. This sw keeps the wastegates open until 3,500 rpms - the throttle tip in performance feels "gutted". The only real solution is to bitch to BMW and have them install the PPK sw for free. Some members have been successful with bmw covering the M-PPK sw flash for free. Others just break down and pay put of pocket.

You can tell IF your car has the new anti tuner sw flash - at idle the engine is MUCH more quieter. Less injector noise(dieseling) and the engine feels smoother. But when you crack the throttle a little bit... you have no power or response. The best way I can describe it is that you need to press down at least 3/5th's throttle/gas pedal to get the same acceleration as you did pre-update at only 1/4 throttle opening. My car's performance felt completely gutted. For me I went with a German engine sw flash tune - that solved it for me.

You might want to read thru this thread. Its long though.

Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...47781&page=224

and also this thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1039370&page=2

Hopefully there is a newer BT version that bmw can flash for you. Maybe it can be a hardware issue - ie: have them replace your MULF com box(BT) and flash new sw update.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Let me know how you go with the BT issue, as I just deal with it. Which carrier? (PM if you prefer)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Let me know how you go with the BT issue, as I just deal with it. Which carrier? (PM if you prefer)

Since BT is a standard it doesn't matter which carrier the phone is on. Since my partner is on another carrier though her phone was tested as well and did not work correctly either.

I have tried the following phones:
galaxy note 5
Nokia Lumia 930
Nokia Lumia 1020
Galaxy S5
Iphone 5s
Iphone 6

All are experiencing the same issue.

I have the car scheduled to go into the dealership again on Monday. If they don't resolve this or at least start making progress on the BT and engine issues that they caused the car will be gone quickly. BMW charges us to much for these cars to have these types of issues and to not fix them promptly and courteously.
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #5
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghent View Post
Since BT is a standard it doesn't matter which carrier the phone is on. Since my partner is on another carrier though her phone was tested as well and did not work correctly either.
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

On Monday I took my car to Brighton BMW to see if they could help. I had it there two days and all that they said was that the car was driving perfectly and since they couldn’t see the issue (documented in the PUMA case) that they couldn’t do anything.

When I asked if it was documented why they again had to see it act up I was told that they don’t care if it has been documented in a country wide PUMA case. I fail to see the point if opening one if I have to start over with another dealership when I have moved.

I got the car back Tuesday evening and noted that they had driven it a total of 2kms to find an intermittent engine issue. In other words they didn’t try hard no care that a performance car is not driving correctly. I was told that they “would speak to the tech in Brisbane” and call me Wednesday with a plan – No call. Shocking I know.

Bluetooth is also having the same issue and when I left the dealership the first light that I accelerated from the issue with the clutch engaging correctly showed up. It isn’t all the time but the car feels like someone has let out the clutch to fast without enough power (if it was manual). Apparently this isn’t an issue according to BMW. The car still feels laggy and sluggish.

I am so fed up with BMW at this point that I am considering purchasing an RS5. I am going to go and drive one this weekend to see if I like it enough to trade my 135 in for. I absolutely LOVE this car but I don’t want to deal with all the BS that is surrounding it any longer.
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Is your car stock, I noticed your signature has a few mods added.
      03-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

I removed all upgrades when the engine started stuttering and having lag before taking it into the stealership (with the exception of the LSD)
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

I would preserver with Brighton BMW a little longer, I had a similar issue with a Renault (Nissan AU) it took 5 months to resolve these issues, that's after involving the Dept of Fair Trading etc.
In the end I sold it, the lucky buyer bought a newish car with all issues resolved at an excellent price.
      03-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

sorry but 5 months? That to me is unacceptable... I paid a lot of money for the car and they should be able to resolve issues with it.

If I ran things that way (taking 5 months to resolve an issue) I wouldn't have any customers - and rightly so
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

Agreed, that's why I involved the Dept of Fair Trading, should have done so earlier.
I personally believe your BT issue is an intermittent hardware issue rather than software.
      03-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

Most disconcerting now is the engine software issues. The BT issue has to be hardware based on what I have seen.

The really bad part is how BMW has treated this issue. I should never need to involve a gooberment agency to assist me - although I may look into it. I can guarantee that I won't be purchasing another BMW if this doesn't improve immediately.. would be nice if BMW and/or dealerships would read the forums
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Ghent
Topless Speed
Australia
Rep

This just keeps getting worse. Not only do I still have BT issues and issue with lag on the engine but now my GPS is rebooting at random times while I am driving... got me lost this weekend.

The C63 AMG 507 that I looked at is gaining more and more appeal.
Quafle LSD 3.46
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Write a letter of demand to bmw stating the problems that you have with your car.

Give them a reasonable time frame to answer you and a reasonable time frame to fix your car and it depends on you what is reasonable and not them. If they don't, take it up with fair trading.

I had a problem with Mitsubishi and the first step is a letter of demand after all other
avenues have been exhausted.

Hit them up for a loaner as well as it seems this has been going on for far to long while
they fix your car.

After the letter and nothing has been solved contact fair trading asap and get the ball rolling.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

Sorry to hear your problems. I hope they're resolved soon. I also hope that my iPhone 4 keeps on going forever. Although I don't get many calls these days, many seem to come in when I'm out in the car. Fortunately, I don't demand much from a phone, so I don't see any need to upgrade. I'm laying in a stock of blue-tack and sticky tape to keep the old girl going.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

Actually, the AMG C63 etc. looks like a beast. There was one in front of us the other day, and it certainly steamed away from us. Probably not a wise move around Bowral, where the police don't have a lot to do except get out and about on the roads, but it was an impressive performance.

Also, Mercedes do seem to look after their customers. My daughter recently bought her A 250 Sport from the Mercedes-owned dealership in Brisbane, and they looked after her very well with an excellent deal. They also organized transport to the Mercedes owned dealership in Sydney when she moved down there, and where she got a similar high level of care. From this example, there might be merit in looking at the Mercedes owned dealerships if you're thinking of changing over.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #17
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
Can get a lemon in any brand. Plenty of whining on Merc forums too.
Persevere. Get customer assistance via Dept of Fair traiding or the Ombudman. Get independent mechanic verification. Get a civil suit started
you'll get there
good luck