BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
ever0095
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Minnesota BMW audio installer?

I posted a similar question about 5 months back with no success. I'm ready to move forward with the purchase, so thought I'd check again. Looking for a referral to a shop that's ideally worked with 1 series audio system upgrades, or barring that, a shop that's very familiar with BMW systems.

Any advice? I'll likely get this as a package from Musicar, just need the install handled.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
ever0095
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Looks like I'll be doing this install myself. Will be either a great learning experience or a complete disaster.

If anyone else is local and in the same boat, I've had zero luck getting Mach 1 in Golden Valley to get back to me. Three call and two emails. That was followed by four people telling me not to let them touch my car - they're out.

M&M Car Audio in Savage was recommended by two friends. The owner was able to look at MusicarsNW's audio system package and answered a number of questions I had. For what it's worth, he was very impressed by Ken's (VP Electricity) thoroughness. Can't speak to M&M's service yet, but for anyone local, I'd recommend starting with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Yeah, not sure about Mach 1 myself. I've bought parts from them, but I'm not sold on the installs. If I had a 10 year old Pontiac and I wanted a bunch of 12' subs all over the trunk, it would be theirs to work on. My 135i nope.

Before Ultimate Electronics folded (after they were Audio King), there was a couple guys at their install shop in Roseville that were great. One of them I talked to quite a bit, he was old school and did things (in my opinion) right. He'd been doing it for decades and strived for sound quality and clean installs. Former IASCA judge I believe as well. I have tried to locate him but am not even sure where to start. I guess he could be at another shop but I wouldn't be surprised if he retired or found a different line of work.

Part of the MusicarNW thing is that you can do it yourself, and given that I am inclined to think you should give it a try. It's the route I'll be going. Anxious to do so but I have a kitchen remodel that is going to burn my budget this year!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
ever0095
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the advice - it will certainly be good to have the experience of plowing through an install like this myself. Knowing that I shouldn't have any surprises (and will have every single piece, customized for the car) makes me more comfortable. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0