BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
DanielKhoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Family car

Oil burning N46B20

Hi everyone,

I’m Daniel, from Singapore and I’ve been an active surfer of bimmerpost!

As some might know, car prices in Singapore are really high and as such, not really attainable at my current stage in life, (24, Graduating from Uni soon).

About a year ago, my parents picked up an 8-year-old E88 with about 76 000 km on it. Since then, there were some issues along the way such as replacing the door locks, oil filter/coolant gasket and the radiator.

A year later, it has hit just over 100 000 km (102) and since the last service, it’s been requiring 1L top up every 3000km. This has happened twice, and since the last top up (1000 km/ 1 month ago), its requesting for another 1 litre.

I understand that the engine within (2008, 120i) is the N46B20 and is notorious for burning oil. Initially I thought it was the CVV based on what I searched, but a friend suspects it’s the piston rings that are worn out; I’ve felt the exhaust tip for oil residue but its powder-dry to the touch (carbon build up). There’s no visible oil leak in the engine bay or oil in the coolant reservoir, so I can’t really tell where the oil is going to.

Could I seek anyone’s advice on this please?
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0