BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Help! Car Cover for the winter snow...yes or no?

I've heard mixed reviews about covers in the winter...some say yes, some no.

Unfortunately, I am without a garage this winter and wanting to protect my car as much as possible.

Can anyone recommend a good cover for snow? Do you not recommend a cover in the snow?

Would love some sound advice. Thanks...

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I'll jump in here...and you are right. It's divided on opinion. For me, if, if I had to store outdoors I would cover. I have for years on other autos. BUT get a good one that can withstand the wet. Check on line with www.calcarcover.com and see what they have. Or call them and get some advice over phone. They have everything.

Now, its been some years, but I had one that was safe underneath for the paint; but also covered the car with a couple of large very soft blankets and to keep a bit of cushion during wind and soften any weight from snow. I also really waxed the surface before buttoning the car and cover down. I had no problems in the Chicago area which gets morrre than its share of wind, and heavy, wet deep snow. When I could, I would brush snow off just so that it would not collect layers and layers of that stuff. I let the ice come as it would. No problem. Others here will disagree. I do think improperly done, it can be worse than having no cover. So take care either way...good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Thanks, man...good advice and nice to hear from someone that has gone through it in a real Chicago winter. NYC isn't quite as bad, but we still get dumped on pretty hard sometimes and I really want to try to protect my 135 as much as possible. I'll take your advice and check out that site. Appreciate it...

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0