BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #89
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Is clicking at low speeds normal :?

Also is a whining noise when my wheel is turned all the way normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #90
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
How many hours of labor for turbo replacement?
I have read 9 to 12 for a professional with lift and all tools
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #91
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post

Are they separate issues or happen at same time? Need more info about clicking. My car makes a little noise if I am going very slow and turn the wheels all the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #92
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
How many hours of labor for turbo replacement?
depends on the shop. 8 hours mininum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post

ticking could very well be wastegate rattle. it's a known issue with the n54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo135 View Post
I have read 9 to 12 for a professional with lift and all tools

Quote:
Are they separate issues or happen at same time? Need more info about clicking. My car makes a little noise if I am going very slow and turn the wheels all the way.
the noise is the power steering system, my car does it too. perfectly normal, i believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #93
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

power steering whine is very normal, that being said, if you're making it wine, you're being hard on it.

turn your steering all the way till it stops, then back off a quarter turn so it doesn't do that. it's not exactly nice on the systems to crank them full stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #94
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
power steering whine is very normal, that being said, if you're making it wine, you're being hard on it.

turn your steering all the way till it stops, then back off a quarter turn so it doesn't do that. it's not exactly nice on the systems to crank them full stop.

on that subject, i'd also like to add that flushing your power steering fluid around 30-40k miles is HIGHLY recommended. bmw won't pay for it, since they call the power steering fluid a "lifetime fill." BUT, i was appalled at how disgusting the fluid was on my car after around 40k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #95
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

anyone installed cp-e exhaust on the N55 135i ? any videos? reviews?
      11-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #96
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman135 View Post
anyone installed cp-e exhaust on the N55 135i ? any videos? reviews?
i looked for the thread i remember reading an n55 cp-e exhaust review in. i believe it's been deleted, however. it was ar design's old group buy for this exhaust. at least one person is running it on the n55, he had great things to say about it, too. sorry i couldn't find that thread, like i said i think it's been deleted now.

bottom line- cp-e is one of the best exhausts overall on the market. great power gains, exotic exhaust note, subtle styling, etc etc etc. i'm almost pulled the trigger on buying one a few times for my car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #97
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i looked for the thread i remember reading an n55 cp-e exhaust review in. i believe it's been deleted, however. it was ar design's old group buy for this exhaust. at least one person is running it on the n55, he had great things to say about it, too. sorry i couldn't find that thread, like i said i think it's been deleted now.

bottom line- cp-e is one of the best exhausts overall on the market. great power gains, exotic exhaust note, subtle styling, etc etc etc. i'm almost pulled the trigger on buying one a few times for my car
Hey Bryce, is this true for n54 also? Is it cat back system? I have heard good things about the maddad and a few I can't remember.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #98
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Does changing the midpipe to "high flow" cats on stock downpipe and axleback gets you any gains and sound? How much different would I be getting?

Kcc
      11-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #99
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Bryce, is this true for n54 also? Is it cat back system? I have heard good things about the maddad and a few I can't remember.
yea, the same can be said for the n54. it's probably the top or one of the top two exhausts for the n54/n55 CURRENTLY on the market for power gains, sound, etc.

it's a modular exhaust, so you can get the downpipe-back section, just the axle back, or just the midpipes. cp-e makes catless downpipes, as well, so you could theoretically have a complete turbo-back exhaust from cp-e. i love the way it sounds personally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Does changing the midpipe to "high flow" cats on stock downpipe and axleback gets you any gains and sound? How much different would I be getting?

Kcc
not much power to be had there. catless downpipes is the biggest power gainer as far as exhaust modifications. i run ar design catless downpipes with the stock exhaust, sounds nice and subtle and i'm not losing much power from the secondary cats or muffler. one of these days i'll probably buy a dp-back exhaust, mostly for the sound though. like i said, the biggest restriction is the stock downpipes. get some catless dp's and enjoy the quicker turbo spool up, higher boost capabilities, and the intoxicating "swoosh" sounds
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #100
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
not much power to be had there. catless downpipes is the biggest power gainer as far as exhaust modifications. i run ar design catless downpipes with the stock exhaust, sounds nice and subtle and i'm not losing much power from the secondary cats or muffler. one of these days i'll probably buy a dp-back exhaust, mostly for the sound though. like i said, the biggest restriction is the stock downpipes. get some catless dp's and enjoy the quicker turbo spool up, higher boost capabilities, and the intoxicating "swoosh" sounds
Running full catless set up. Just recently swapped out my AR Catted dp's for Macht Schnell catless. Instant power improvement, didnt expect to notice much difference but overall power is MUCH improved. The cats, even race cats, restrict a lot. sound overall wasnt changed too much, a little more volume but the biggest difference was the power.

GO CATLESS!!!
      11-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #101
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Do you know when HPF will be releasing the charge pipe and BOV?

I'm becoming impatient, I've been waiting for these parts for so long...
I am inpatient too! Just got off the phone with HPF...part is ready for fabrication but stupid delays in BOV stuff and E46 M3 delays since they are spending cash load on some other products. It cost roughly $11K to get the prototype to fabrication to build off of...but it is still happening so lets be patient together cause it is going to be SICK!
      11-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #102
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Running full catless set up. Just recently swapped out my AR Catted dp's for Macht Schnell catless. Instant power improvement, didnt expect to notice much difference but overall power is MUCH improved. The cats, even race cats, restrict a lot. sound overall wasnt changed too much, a little more volume but the biggest difference was the power.

GO CATLESS!!!
I remember talking to you about this some time ago. Did you happen to do any dynos? How noticeable are the gains, have you been able to test them out by any chance? I'm considering dp's at some point but unsure to go catted or catless. If there are noticeable more gains for catless I'll go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
I am inpatient too! Just got off the phone with HPF...part is ready for fabrication but stupid delays in BOV stuff and E46 M3 delays since they are spending cash load on some other products. It cost roughly $11K to get the prototype to fabrication to build off of...but it is still happening so lets be patient together cause it is going to be SICK!
I understand but I just want a date or a time-frame. I feel like we've been left out of the loop for a while now. I have friends who tell me not to wait for HPF due to a history of failing to meet time requirements but they do assure me their quality is top notch. I'm patient but I don't want this to stretch out for months either especially when I'm expecting the parts to be released within a few days.

Do you have any more info regarding the BOV application? Do you know if HPF can weld on a specific BOV to their charge pipe, eg the HKS? I believe they're using the Synapse.

Do you know any more info about the intercooler piping? Is it wider in diameter? I'd probably consider getting the HPF fmic with the silicone coupler version connections if it works with the stock piping until the rest of the kit comes out.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #103
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Quote:
Yea, agree on the catless, but it smell really bad, and could have a pull over here in Canada if you drive a new car with black smoke coming out from your exhaust!

Nice detailed info tho. Keep it up!

Kcc
      11-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #104
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yea, agree on the catless, but it smell really bad, and could have a pull over here in Canada if you drive a new car with black smoke coming out from your exhaust!

Kcc
I'm figuring on replacing the secondary cats with high flow, but bigger ones then stock so that they will still be effective, but at least a little better flowing.

i will be doing catless DPs though.

If your engine is quite warm, you really shouldn't have to worry about the emissions with a high flow secondary or even the stock secondary cats.

at least that's what i've heard.

and if they probe your exhaust to see if you have a cat, at least there will be something there if you leave the secondarys.

I ran catless on my subaru for a couple of years, the exhaust colour wasn't too bad. As far as the smell goes, it won't be as bad as an old muscle car, but not far off from it the one thing the police will notice is flames out the back without the cats installed. And with no cats and big power, you should expect a lot of flames.

Are the police still pushing the side of the road checks around markham? it seems to have died down pretty much to nothing around here. at least i don't hear about it anymore, but i try to avoid the standard tuner forums for the local towns.

oh, and one more thought.... catless and windows down, over time builds residue on your interior, so just be aware of more deep cleaning of the car. And maybe even your lungs......

but those are just side effects of power
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #105
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
^agreed, great points mineo and the1 about going catless. i'll eventually get a dp-back exhuast, catless. i still like the quiet and unassuming position my car makes with the stock exhaust though. i beat my friend's roush 427r the other day from a roll, all while being relatively quiet
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #106
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Kcc
thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #107
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I was considering getting electronic valves installed in the exhaust. at the touch of a button, bypass the rear cats and muffler :P

or half open so it's quieter.

We'll see what the future holds though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #108
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I was considering getting electronic valves installed in the exhaust. at the touch of a button, bypass the rear cats and muffler :P

or half open so it's quieter.

We'll see what the future holds though.
that'd be interesting. i've seen those electric valves before on other car platforms. the only thing i worry about is that would basically be right off the downpipes. i've read horror stories of people who drive around open-downpipes on the n54. WAY too loud basically
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #109
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86;8352669
I understand but I just want a date or a time-frame. I feel like we've been left out of the loop for a while now. I have friends who tell me not to wait for HPF due to a history of failing to meet time requirements but they do assure me their quality is top notch. I'm patient but I don't want this to stretch out for months either especially when I'm expecting the parts to be released within a few days.

Do you have any more info regarding the BOV application? Do you know if HPF can weld on a specific BOV to their charge pipe, eg the HKS? I believe they're using the Synapse.

Do you know any more info about the intercooler piping? Is it wider in diameter? I'd probably consider getting the HPF fmic with the silicone coupler version connections if it works with the stock piping until the rest of the kit comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
They dont know they havent made it yet lol
Spoke with JP/Dave/Chris at HPF today, here is an official update for those folks out there:

Mineo77: Do you know if HPF can weld on a specific BOV to their charge pipe, eg the HKS?

HPF: <Still in the development phase. Synapse is the proposed BOV>

Mineo77: Do you know any more info about the intercooler piping? Is it wider in diameter?

HPF: <3" piping will be used. This is slightly larger and higher flowing than the stock N54 piping>

So keep your pants on, a release date will come...and we all know HPF rep of top-notch products and service!
      11-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #110
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
^thanks for the update T!
Appreciate 0