04-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D View Post
Alright, so here is the update -- Let me preface by saying that I agree with all of you in regards to safety. It all boils down to how you're driving the car (DD, track, etc.). In my case, I DO NOT track the vehicle at all. If I do decide to track it in the future, it will be strictly 1/4 mile runs. AT that point, I will revisit the safety system again.

For now, my goal is to properly install Sparco seats with a 4-point harness -- replacing stock seats and the stock seat-belt system.

Anyways, without further ado -- So I got the Cipher 48" harness bar and gave it a go this past weekend. The length of the bar bolts perfectly to the pillars, fitment is very good. What doesn't work AT ALL are the two vertical arms that are supposed to be bolted onto the chassis. I tried several ways and forget it.

The next step is custom welding. I'm going to take it to a buddy of mine who specializes in this type of stuff (roll-cages etc.) to build some custom brackets. That's the only way this will work. So far I'm about $130 into the process.
Stupid question but why did you feel the need to replace the stock 3 point with 4 point harnesses? I ran a bucket seat with 3 point belts for a year before converting to half cage & 6 points but I found the 3 point system to be fine. As long as you route the side belt through the seat hole, submarining is less of an issue (and probably even less so as compared to a 4 point).
      04-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #46
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

Neil > Absolutely. I caught on too late though. This is a project I got myself into without knowing ANYTHING about harness' or impact safety -- whoooops. lol. The good thing is that I don't daily-drive the car, nor do I track it. The most action I put down is every other weekend when I'm logging the JB4 -- very short sprints. Maybe I'll drive it to work once a week like a normal person. Next up is the half cage.

3002 tii > There is no valid reason other than aesthetics. I got a FREE 4-Point Sparco Harness when I got the seats -- so I figured what the hell. Obviously, I had no idea what I was getting into. That said, I'm glad I did -- I've learned alot about cages, harness bars, harness', etc. From what I've read, you're 100% right -- the stock 3-Point belt is sufficient and safe.
      04-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Talked to BRR yesterday and my bar will be on its way next week.

I've looked at all the options available including the Scroth harnesses and I am pretty sure the combination if 6 pt harness, fixed back seats and BRR bar is the best answer short of a cage/bar welded in.

The BRR, while not a 4 pt weld in bar or a cage, will add some structural value to the car.

Besides, for me this car, whether in my 135i or my 1M is a third back up track car to my Spec E30 and E30/S50.