BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i Coupe

Resetting Brake Lights

I replaced front and rear brake pads a few weeks ago along with wear sensors due to service lights coming on. The service lights are a red light picturing a car on a lift and the BRAKE light illuminated. The problem is that I cannot clear the lights. I have depressed the odometer reset until service menu comes up then toggled to both front and rear brakes. The system goes thru the reset process but never clears, I don't get miles shown like I do with oil service reset, just dashes. Am I wrongly assuming that the front and rear lights are brakes? Could it be something else? What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarDoug View Post
I replaced front and rear brake pads a few weeks ago along with wear sensors due to service lights coming on. The service lights are a red light picturing a car on a lift and the BRAKE light illuminated. The problem is that I cannot clear the lights. I have depressed the odometer reset until service menu comes up then toggled to both front and rear brakes. The system goes thru the reset process but never clears, I don't get miles shown like I do with oil service reset, just dashes. Am I wrongly assuming that the front and rear lights are brakes? Could it be something else? What am I doing wrong?
So I'm having the same issue, my mechanic said that once you reset it and it shows dashes that it's an issue with the sensor. But on another thread I've read that once you get the red light that it has to be reset by computer at the dealer. so I'm not sure, He is a performance/ race shop (specializing in Porsche) and doesn't have a BMW computer to reset it. He said to strip the sensor wires and splice them together, that creates a loop and the computer recognizes that the sensors are present...

Alternatively I called BMW:

The dealer quoted me 120 just to reset it fucking ridiculous, or 160 for them to replace F&R sensors and reset.

Let me know what you come up with. I'm going to splice them this weekend and I'll report back!
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep

Let me know what happens. I have tried splicing them with no luck. Not sure what the next step is. This is just irratating more than anything else. Suspect your mech may be right about having a computer reset it although not sure why this can't be reset along with everything else. Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
A2135
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'm going through the same situation. I've had my sensors ziptied to the side for years now but forgot to reset the brake warning before it went to the negative. Now I can't remove that damn red light. Let me know how it works out for you!
      08-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2135 View Post
I'm going through the same situation. I've had my sensors ziptied to the side for years now but forgot to reset the brake warning before it went to the negative. Now I can't remove that damn red light. Let me know how it works out for you!
Alright guys I picked up a fresh sensor for my rear pads from advance for 21 bucks and did the full rear pad install and installed a new sensor, went through the reset procedure and now it's all good.

No red lift symbol. What is interesting is my front sensor is zip tied up and it is no issue, but I guess once the miles are negative it has to see a new sensor. All I can say is I'm so grateful to cancel my 150 appointment with BMW to reset them and replace the sensors...

Good luck gents, I'd say just snag a new sensor to reset the computer, then zip tie it up if you prefer not to run it!
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
A2135
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Thanks for the update! I dug around a little more and came across the post below. I'm going to give this a whirl as soon as I get a chance.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=105
      08-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
DakarDoug
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. Will try this.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Found the SI B34 03 13 service bulletin on the BMW TIS entitled, "Incorrect Remaining Service Life from CBS Data for Brake pads".

It applies to E8x,E9X, F2X, F3X chassis ...

Situation: The yellow “Service Due” warning message lights up in the instrument cluster, even though the brake pad thickness is more than 4.2mm (above the thickness at which the pad sensor intervenes). The calculated remaining service life for the brake pads (front and/or rear axle) from the CBS data does not match the actual brake pad thickness.

The fix is a software update on the "Brake pad correction CBS conversion" module ...
After programming, the vehicle CBS data must be corrected.
In the diagnostic menu item “Front/rear brake”, select “Reset forecast to 50,000km” and then reset the forecast distance. In the diagnostic menu item “Front/rear brake”, select “Set availability, enter the brake pad thickness” and enter the pad thickness measured in mm. If the service counter increases after entering the actual brake pad thickness, the brake pad thickness must be entered once again. The service counter is now reset to the original value.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 10-07-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0