BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Auto/Steptronic Characteristics

Good Morning Everyone!

I'm sure I'll get flammed a bit but I've done some searching on the forum and even had another forum member drive my car (he has a manual) and I don't really have an answer.....so here goes.

This is the first BMW we've owned and the first car that I've ever driven which has a turbo. It seems very "touchy" on the throttle from a stand still....almost like a light switch, either all or nothing. Basically, from a stop it feels like there is a fair amount of deadspace in the pedal before the car actually starts moving.

Is this normal....something that will just take some getting used to? Thanks in advance.

Ordered (6/17) ● Production (6/19) ● Completed (6/26) ● En Route (7/14) ● Prep Center (8/2) ● At BMW Center (8/3) ● PCD (8/14)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

you will get used to it.

To my senses (have only 600 miles on car), it shifts out of first rather quickly in reg mode so you really don;t get alot of revs giving you that pedal feeling.

You can alter that feeling by driving the car in the DS mode even if you do not shift gears w/ paddles or stick lever. Try it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thaks for the response emtrey.....good to know that it is most likely a characteristic of the car that I need to get used to.

We are still in the break-in period as well....right at 1,100 miles. I haven't done a lot of driving in DS but have tried it and noticed that it is much better from a standing start. I just know that it will kill the gas milage b/c it is so much more fun to drive in DS! ;-)

Ordered (6/17) ● Production (6/19) ● Completed (6/26) ● En Route (7/14) ● Prep Center (8/2) ● At BMW Center (8/3) ● PCD (8/14)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

I have the same feeling as well...guessing it is normal. The throttle is perfectly balanced after that, so it is kind of odd. My GTO had the same issue, so maybe it is expected for high HP, RWD cars?
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis3582 View Post
I have the same feeling as well...guessing it is normal. The throttle is perfectly balanced after that, so it is kind of odd. My GTO had the same issue, so maybe it is expected for high HP, RWD cars?
My guess would be no....the corvette I had previously was much smoother off the line....but pretty much sucked everywhere else as far as the transmission is concerned.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Its the Step, not the turbo.

Its not smooth of the line because the Step doesnt downshift to 1st at a standstill. You can counter this by clicking the paddle while still in drive. That and in D the step isnt very smooth.

Note ive had 21K miles to figure this stuff out and it gets a bit better after breakin. But it doesnt go away.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
EINSER
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E92

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Yep to all the above! I went from a G37 coupe to the 135 and nearly gave myself whiplash the first few weeks until I got used to the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay....great info guys...thanks.

BrokenVert....so you are saying if you are in D mode...and at a stop....shift down to M1 on the paddles and then let the car take control of the shifting after that?

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
No doubt the throttle, take off response of this car is a little jerky. Actually the stopping response is even jerkier to me. I assume I'll eventually tap a curb/garage wall, etc due to the way the car pushes a few times while downshifting coming to a stop, especially in DS mode. You get used to it and smoother. But then if you get in a typical car you'll wonder where'd all the power go.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
emtrey
Captain
Rep

clicking down to 1 will give you a first give start BUT be careful---very quick response to throttle input. Try it first w/o amother car in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Its the Step, not the turbo.

Its not smooth of the line because the Step doesnt downshift to 1st at a standstill. You can counter this by clicking the paddle while still in drive. That and in D the step isnt very smooth.

Note ive had 21K miles to figure this stuff out and it gets a bit better after breakin. But it doesnt go away.
Agreed - it always is smoother to drive with manual shift.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #12
emtrey
Captain
Rep

This trans shift characteristics are identical to the MINI S I traded up from. It works smoother and better in everyway but the 2nd gear start in full automatic is the same, giving that "flat spot" feeling at the throttle.

In the MINI, manually shifting , especially on a downshift, was much better than letting the trans do its thing. The downshifts in that car were jerky unless you controlled it particularly in DS mode.

This trans is better and I have not found it significantly different shifting manually.
It works very well in DS mode both up and down shifting.

Play around with it. Remember, if you car is relativley new, the trans many not have fully adapted to your driving style yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

When I test drove the car I was in D for the first half or so and had gotten used to the throttle response from a stop. At some point I switched to DS at a light and when I got on the gas as I had in D I almost hit the car in front of me. I was told that in DS mode it's starting in first gear, whereas D starts you off in 2nd. Any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I'm not sure it does start in 1 for DS mode either. It's just that the throttle response map is changed when in DS mode. In D mode it is a more relaxed throttle map and DS is very responsive and a lot more touchy to give you a more instantaneous response.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Your guess is right, DS is smoother, but you're MPG will suck.

Once you're past break-in, you should try driving in full manual-mode (DS and then any shift). The reason I suggest waiting until after break-in is that the +/- approach to manual shifting with the step can be pretty unintuitive at first and it's easy to over-rev the engine if your not careful.

At this point I use manual-mode almost exclusively, except in heavy stop-and-go traffic. Using manual mode you can drive more aggressively and get better MPG than DS.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I'm not sure it does start in 1 for DS mode either. It's just that the throttle response map is changed when in DS mode. In D mode it is a more relaxed throttle map and DS is very responsive and a lot more touchy to give you a more instantaneous response.
From what I can tell DS always starts in 1, D seems to me like it can start in either gear. I love the Step in M mode, and I've ranted about the D and DS modes before. D is to soft, DS holds revs too long and won't shift into 6th at all which makes it worthless IMO for anything but track and very aggressive driving.

I've become used to the jerkiness from a dead stop and have learned to drive with delicate throttle inputs off idle.

I've heard a couple of folks say the transmission logic is much better on the later software builds, and I'd love to hear from anyone that has gone from 29.x to code from the last few months. I'm debating whether to have the dealer update the car and if it has better "manners" with current code that may do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #17
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
From what I can tell DS always starts in 1, D seems to me like it can start in either gear. I love the Step in M mode, and I've ranted about the D and DS modes before. D is to soft, DS holds revs too long and won't shift into 6th at all which makes it worthless IMO for anything but track and very aggressive driving.

I've become used to the jerkiness from a dead stop and have learned to drive with delicate throttle inputs off idle.

I've heard a couple of folks say the transmission logic is much better on the later software builds, and I'd love to hear from anyone that has gone from 29.x to code from the last few months. I'm debating whether to have the dealer update the car and if it has better "manners" with current code that may do it for me.
You might be right about DS mode but I know D does not start in 1 unless you manually put it there or you stomp on the throttle big time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow...and to think I was expecting to get laughed at for starting this thread! Good to see that I'm not the only one who noticed this and thanks for all the positive responses.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post

I believe both D and DS start in 2 - unless you floor it and hit the "step down" button. (Can anyone say for certain?)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW135*Guy View Post
Good Morning Everyone!

I'm sure I'll get flammed a bit but I've done some searching on the forum and even had another forum member drive my car (he has a manual) and I don't really have an answer.....so here goes.

This is the first BMW we've owned and the first car that I've ever driven which has a turbo. It seems very "touchy" on the throttle from a stand still....almost like a light switch, either all or nothing. Basically, from a stop it feels like there is a fair amount of deadspace in the pedal before the car actually starts moving.

Is this normal....something that will just take some getting used to? Thanks in advance.

I notice this too. A lot of deadspace in the first second before the car picks up speed. I had gotten so used to it just forgot about it until I drove my sister's e46 320ci - throttle sensitivity was manic. Light touches gave me whiplash and the car just surgerd off the line as if I had stomped on the gas pedal. So I guess it shows that I have adapted by pressing harder on the 135 gas pedal without realising.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #21
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have noticed the same thing when I haven't driven my 1 for a while. It takes me a bit to get used to the throttle so I'm not jerky.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
emtrey
Captain
Rep

its starts in second gear in either D or DS unless you click down via shift lever or steering wheel gear selectors.

I am sure a pedal flooring downshift would get you down into first along with a cloud of tire smoke.
Appreciate 0