BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Just got back from the dealership after having my 1200 mile oil change!! It was pretty cool...it was the first 1-series they've had come in for service so it drew quite a crowd. Went with OEM BMW synthetic and total cost was $95 (after 20% CCA club discount...almost paid for itself with that one visit!).

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #24
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Good deal, so how long did it take? So you didnt do any of the other fluids people mention changing after the break in period...I would like to do my own oil changes, but I'm afraid that by the time I buy the oil and filter, it would only be a few extra dollars to have a professional do it who actually knows what hes doing!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

After looking at a few posted Blackstone reports I'm probably going with an oil change around 3k-4k. I'm definitely not waiting until the service indicator hits 0 to do the first change.

Leased '06 e90 330 that waited until the service indicator hit 0 to first change the oil:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115514

'7 M-Coupe first oil-change at 5288 miles:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1109834
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Good deal, so how long did it take? So you didnt do any of the other fluids people mention changing after the break in period...I would like to do my own oil changes, but I'm afraid that by the time I buy the oil and filter, it would only be a few extra dollars to have a professional do it who actually knows what hes doing!
I was in and out in less than an hour. I also had to get the state safety inspection done on it at the same time so that added a little bit to the overall time it took.

I decided to hold off on the transmission and diff fluid changes until the first scheduled oil service (15K), I will definitely have it done at that point though, I have a hard time buying the "lifetime fluid" concept.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #27
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
if you plan to keep the car for a while (more than 5 yrs), it's a good idea to do the breakin services. Per Mike Miller at Roundel (BMWCCA), the break in service used to be for all models until the free maintenance program started. For manual transmission, the recommendation is to change the oil, transmission fluid, and differential fluid after 1,200 miles. for automatics, do the oil and differential oil change.

Go to http://www.bimrs.org/ to find a shop near you. you'll also get a discount as a BMWCCA member. after this, change oil every 7500 miles. If you love this car, treat it well. BMW dealers can still change the oil for free once a year.
I agree 100%. I read somewhere that you better change the oil and trans fluid early, as quite a few metal shavings were in them.

Take it to BMW to do all the work. This is just my opinion and will do this. I will work 1 day of O.T. and BMW can do there job.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #28
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
To go overboard, use the oil for M3. 5w60 I think.
NO!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #29
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I just do not buy 15,000 mile oil changes. That goes against what I have been taught or accustomed to when it comes to car maintenance.
15,000 mile oil changes are specified so that the dealership sees your car as infrequently as possible during the warranty time. It costs them money to change your oil for free.

If any damage is being done to your engine, it won't manifest until after the warranty expires. But since most people lease, this isn't an issue.

My SA told me this... for a leased vehicle I can wait the 15k miles, but since I own the car, changing the oil once before 5k miles would be a good idea.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #30
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I decided to hold off on the transmission and diff fluid changes until the first scheduled oil service (15K), I will definitely have it done at that point though, I have a hard time buying the "lifetime fluid" concept.
While I think that 15k is a bit early, you might consider Redline synthetic products when the time comes. My dealer did the trans. change on my E46 with Redline MTL which I provided, and charged a bit less than one hour labor. Shifting is improved, especially when cold.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #31
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Just did my 1500 mile first oil change today.

**CAUTION**

Adding the full 7 quarts after draining and filter change could result in overfilling!

My oil change shop asked how much I wanted to put in and I almost said all 7 quarts, then changed my mind since there is no dipstick, and said put in only 6 quarts and I'll check it when I get home. I am so glad I didn't add the full 7. After following the check oil instructions on page 116, (it took 3 minutes to get a reading) the oil level was exactly at the MAX mark. Had I added 7 instead of 6 quarts it would have been severely overfilled.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #32
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Just did my 1500 mile first oil change today.

**CAUTION**

Adding the full 7 quarts after draining and filter change could result in overfilling!

My oil change shop asked how much I wanted to put in and I almost said all 7 quarts, then changed my mind since there is no dipstick, and said put in only 6 quarts and I'll check it when I get home. I am so glad I didn't add the full 7. After following the check oil instructions on page 116, (it took 3 minutes to get a reading) the oil level was exactly at the MAX mark. Had I added 7 instead of 6 quarts it would have been severely overfilled.
Oil cooler holding some?:iono:

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #33
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
While I think that 15k is a bit early, you might consider Redline synthetic products when the time comes. My dealer did the trans. change on my E46 with Redline MTL which I provided, and charged a bit less than one hour labor. Shifting is improved, especially when cold.
Tom
I run all Redline fluids in my M3 and even with 143K on the clock (and a lot of those being autocross/track miles), the trannny and diff are as smooth and quiet as they were day 1 so I agree, Redline is good stuff. I just haven't decided yet if I want to switch to Redline now or if I'll wait until the warranty is up and just run OEM stuff until then?

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #34
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I run all Redline fluids in my M3 and even with 143K on the clock (and a lot of those being autocross/track miles), the trannny and diff are as smooth and quiet as they were day 1 so I agree, Redline is good stuff. I just haven't decided yet if I want to switch to Redline now or if I'll wait until the warranty is up and just run OEM stuff until then?
Not seeing any compelling reason to change OEM prior to 50k miles, my plan is to wait
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #35
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Don't understand why your car only took 6 quarts because I changed mine myself and it took all 7 quarts and it's registered exactly at Max. Very strange indeed....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

How difficult is a transmission fluid change? As straight forward as oil change?