10-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeedler View Post
actually, nothing in this complete statement is true, nothing at all.

BMW approves the E10 in all vehicles that do not require 98 octane.

There has NEVER been anything said as to the changing of the service intervals to our dealership.

We fill all of our demo cars with E10.

No proof has been put out there that it has hurt a single BMW car yet, I have only read about problems with the FORD Mondeo fuel pump seals so far.

The price of E10, super, and and super plus are all different. I for one as well as every other mechanic at my work fill up with E10. at 95-110 dollars a tank, the 8-10 dollar difference per tank is big.

I don't even want to get into the discussion of better fuel economy with super plus-- not even worth talking about the 1 km. more per tank that will cost you 10 dollars.

I do agree though, there are alot of people that are against E10, but they are also the people that don't realize that they have been filling their car with E5(5%) for years and it never did any harm.

There were some reports on German TV - back on March 6th, 2011. Basically it was some BMW engineer who was quoted as saying not to use E10. Then BMW had a mad scramble over the next few days. Because E10 is meant to be the Bundes latest weapn to reduce emissions and meet its goals for lower emissions. This is why they put out this press release.

Here is a link to BMW reiterating its position on E10 and that its perfectly fine. But on March 6th on almost every German TV new channel... they showed this engineer from BMW who said not to use E10 and IF you do... to not run the oil for long OCI's.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/simpleSearch.html

BMW's offical position is that from 2000 M.Y cars it is ok to run E10. I would never put that stuff in my car. BMW still will not say it will not harm your engine AND give you a garranty. It is all on the consumer. That is why everyone plays it safe and uses/buys SuperPlus with zero ethanol.

In Germany Super95 (E05) and SuperPlus 98 (no Ethanol) is the SAME price. Does not matter what brand of fuel company. E10 Super is a few(five or six) cents cheaper. Since March last year the gas prices have been raise - Super E05 and SuperPlus have been selling for the same price! I attached an old gas sign showing the fuel prices.

Btw.. which BMW's require 98 octane fuel? I thought all BMW's must run at least Super 95 octane??? Of course the performance will be better with SuperPlus 98.

Dackel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

BMW official position on using E10...

BMW_Group_underlines_its_unchanged_position_on_the_issue_of_E10_EN.pdf

BMW_Group_statement_E10_E.pdf

Here is the guy I was thinking about...

Thomas Brüner, Director of Mechanical Development at BMW - he talks about the fuel dilution problem and that no one has tested E10 for this serious problem. After March 6th, when the German press jumped all over his sound bite... he was quickly removed from the eyes of the press.

http://www.welt.de/motor/article1270...-Vorteile.html

Last edited by Dackelone; 10-20-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
mikeedler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

here is a link to the current fuel prices in Germany.

http://www.benzinpreis-aktuell.de/

and for example, my E30 M3 uses only super plus.

Just because one person over 6 months ago aired his opinion on the television, it doesn't make it BMW's view. I understand what you are trying to say, and the overall German view on the whole E10 thing is that alot don't like it, but I blame that on Germans not liking change, esp. here in Bavaria.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #26
mikeedler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I also understand the fear the people here have of the E10. I was here in the military when they stopped selling leaded fuel. It was posted everywhere that is would be O.K., I can tell you first hand, my E21 323i back then didn't last more than a month before the valve seals gave way and the car smoked like a chimney. Everyone knew it would happen.........
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #27
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
TOTALLY JEALOUS !!

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
TOTALLY JEALOUS !!
Someone posted before they believe BMW has a simular system as VAG (VW/Audi) Group uses. In that, the odometer miles can be reset up to three times, as long as the total miles is less than 50 miles(on each reset).

I think perhaps, when the cars leave the factory in "transport mode" (or what ever it is called!?) where the electrical drain is in low consumpsion mode and the revs are in a sort of valet mode... that the miles do not register on the odo.
Appreciate 0