BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 MT

Power upgrade

Hi guys,
Tax return time is coming and looking to further upgrade my 2008 n54 135i MT. I've been running with Jb4 map 5 with the only mods being. JB4, DCI, BMS OCC, bilstein b12s, m3 subframe bushings, wavetrac lsd. To handle the extra power I've been using some bigger PSS 255 rears and 225 fronts
I'm thinking of going forward with an ATM 5" stepped intercooler, ER charge pipe and RB turbos.
Not interested in running meth but may get more into e85 as I've heard good things.

I have reservations about going for a catless DP as i think the smell would bother me but am unsure whether the stock exhaust and DPs are going to significantly affect potential gains.
I also think my HPFP is on the way out for several reasons and was thinking of getting an upgraded oem unit. I have heard about more powerful pumps particularly if i get into e85 which is tempting but I'm not sure if this would require higher power HPFP and LPFPs?

Finally i think with the upgrade a professional tune Is in order. I live in Brisbane and simply don't know who to approach.

What do you guys think. Which steps could i avoid and which should i add. I've heard about oil cooling but seems very exy and if not necessary i would avoid.

Any advice/opinions/personal experience greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

What's your budget to spend and power goals and intended use (street car, track, hill climbs etc?)

Sounds like you have some nice mods already, definately get a FMIC & CP. I highly reccomend catless DP's I honestly didnt notice much more of a smell, but they're louder on cold start ups but engine response is so much better with them installed!!

As for RB's they're awesome, but maybe see what the car feels like fully setup and tuned on E85. That may be enough power for your intended use!

E85 is great stuff, and yes as you mentioned to run it safely and to maximise the returns our fueling systems require an upgrade.

The best option is to purchase a stage 2 fuel it drop in bucket which has an upgraded lpfp integrated making it a pnp solution and comes with excellent after sales support and install info. Basically the fueling system has two pumps, the LPFP supplies fuel to the HPFP, and the HPFP pumps fuel at extremely high pressures required for the direct injection setup.

If you think the hpfp is on its way out, maybe just install the stage 2 LPFP drop in bucket wack in some E85 and start logging paying attention to your HPFP pressures. If it's lagging behind under WOT conditions replace it with a fresh item. The vargas HPFP upgrades (single and double barrel hpfp upgrade) are only really required for cars that are 350-400rwkw +. If that's your target those and the motive port injection setup are the fueling upgrade options available.

With a JB4 I'm pretty sure the guys run a backend flash, but either way the BMS forum will help you with your logs if you postup the details on their forum

I've recently had a fresh hpfp, stage 2 drop in bucket running an OTS cobb E30 map and my car managed 309 rwkw (I'm FBO minus meth & running the stock turbos).

With an E50 mix and a custom tune it should be punching out some really good numbers, negating the need for RB's for a little while longer

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 05-24-2015 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #3
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I am in Brisbane and I can help with any questions, also there are a few other guys on this forum located in Brisbane that have a wealth of knowledge as far as the N54 goes. Next step for you should be FMIC and DPs before you do anything else. I didnt notice any smell when I had the catless dps installed on my 135i. It does change the sound of the car but for the better
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the advice.
The car is my daily driver and gets twisty hill runs maybe once a month or so. If lucky might get to the track once a year.
Very interesting to hear about the DPs sounds like a worthwhile investment.
I will also get the charge pipe and FMIC.

I'm trying to keep the car looking very stock. Certainly don't mind making a bit more noise through the exhaust but am wondering what you guys fitted your charge pipes with. I hear the factory diverter valve is rubbish. Did you go bov or upgraded diverters. I'm happy with either but have a fear of the BOV sounding ricey.

Amazing power figures there with the stock turbos. These upgrades sound like a great next step and will certainly invest in the fuel it system when i step up to e85.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
I am in Brisbane and I can help with any questions, also there are a few other guys on this forum located in Brisbane that have a wealth of knowledge as far as the N54 goes. Next step for you should be FMIC and DPs before you do anything else. I didnt notice any smell when I had the catless dps installed on my 135i. It does change the sound of the car but for the better
+ 1

I would go with DP, FMIC and CP+BOV. This won't make huge power but it will get you FBO and set you up for RB's.

There's a good 20-30rwkw to be gained from E85 or meth on stock turbos before you should even think about upgrading the twins.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Hey guys,

speaking of great power on stock turbos...

Here is a 135i I spent some time tuning last week, mods are as follows.

Stock turbos, FBO, E65, JB4 G5 iso tuned on Map 6, with Trebila Performance E85 specific custom back-end flash and Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP upgrade.

The car has a JB4/Coolingmist Methanol injection system but at the time of this dyno run a Meth' system issue had not been resolved.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 05-25-2015 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Revision
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Very nice numbers, Justin.

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey guys,

speaking of great power on stock turbos...

Here is a 135i I spent some time tuning last week, mods are as follows.

Stock turbos, FBO, E65, JB4 G5 iso tuned on Map 6, with Trebila Performance E85 specific custom back-end flash and Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP upgrade.

The car has a JB4/Coolingmist Methanol injection system but at the time of this dyno run a Meth' system issue had not been resolved.

Cheers,

JD.
That's impressive for stock twins. Would love to see what this traps down the 1/4 mile.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 03:40 AM   #9
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just an update.
Installed Catless DPs, and ER Chargepipe with stock DVs (waiting for Forge DVs to arrive).
At same time had Inlet valve clean (no prev. clean and 90,000km on ODO), 6 new fuel injectors (was getting misfires in 3 different cylinders and they were -09 so needed to replace all), new spark plugs and coils.
I'm now running JB4 Map 2.

Amazing difference, I think mainly due to the inlet valve clean and Catless downpipes. The throttle response is significantly improved and feels more powerful throughout the RPM. Very impressive change for such basic mods.

I'd like to thank DR-JEKL, Orlin and BMW86 for the push to change to catless DPs. Next will be getting an ATM 5" stepped intercooler and stage 2 fuel it once tax refund is submitted.

Thanks again, great result and very happy with the change.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

happy days!

Glad you're happy with the mods, the DP's definately are a great mod and give the car a much better sound and TBH I didnt notice any foul odours (I do notice occasionally I get some soot blown onto my garage floor occasionally though!)

Get a fresh HPFP and fuelit stage 2 drop in bucket then start tuning for a E50-E60 mix via jb4/cobb/mhd and you'll have some real power!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

The intercooler is a great mod and gain you some serious power in the top end mostly like 3rd and 4th gear pulls, not so much in 1st and 2nd.

The stage 2 fuel pump is only necessary if you run e85 e30 mix or greater.

Your better off getting a new hpfp before the stage 2 LPFP if like you said yours is on the way out or get both if you are switching to e85 because as soon as you do you will find out one of them wont be able to keep up or both especially with a custom flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yep. That's the plan.
Will aim to get the to intercooler soon followed by the fuel-it stage 2 and a backend flash for running e85 mixtures.
HPFP seems to be running fine. It seems it was the injectors causing the trouble. That said not sure how it will cope with e85 and is a bit long in the tooth. Not sure whether a preemptive purchase is in order.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazriel View Post
Just an update.
Installed Catless DPs, and ER Chargepipe with stock DVs (waiting for Forge DVs to arrive).
At same time had Inlet valve clean (no prev. clean and 90,000km on ODO), 6 new fuel injectors (was getting misfires in 3 different cylinders and they were -09 so needed to replace all), new spark plugs and coils.
Damn your tax return came back early!

I nearly all your mods except one by one in quick succession and would have to say all will add up to give you a difference in the car overall

My personal view:
Valve clean - better acceleration response
Spark plugs / Coils - smoother acceleration
ER Charge Pipe - Close to same, maybe better response on butt dyno
Fuel injectors - TBA (Wednesday)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 02:37 AM   #14
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazriel View Post
Yep. That's the plan.
Will aim to get the to intercooler soon followed by the fuel-it stage 2 and a backend flash for running e85 mixtures.
HPFP seems to be running fine. It seems it was the injectors causing the trouble. That said not sure how it will cope with e85 and is a bit long in the tooth. Not sure whether a preemptive purchase is in order.
The hpfp is running ok now because it's only running 98

When you switch to e85 with a content of e30 or greater it won't cope so well

I have a new hpfp and stage 2 lpfp and at e42 the hpfp dips down to around 50 psi which is far to low as it should run no less than 100 psi to be safe

I'm trying something new this week just waiting for my nephew to arrive from the states with my new hardware to resolve the fuelling issues I have
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #15
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmm didn't realise running e85 would require an upgraded hpfp also.
Any recommendations?
Was planning on stage 2 fuel it drop in for the lpfp but really not sure which direction to go for uprated hpfp for an e85 mix?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

No recommendations right now, that's what I'm trying to sort out atm, e85 puts a big strain on you whole fuel system.

It's great when running properly, I'm going straight e85 with the new hardware to simplify my fill ups
You can run e42 but it's going to be in the very limits of your fuel system with the hardware already mentioned

I would not recommend or feel safe running anything greater than e42 in my opinion

Just log log and log with your jb4 and a laptop and keep an eye on the hpfp
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
I have a new hpfp and stage 2 lpfp and at e42 the hpfp dips down to around 50 psi which is far to low as it should run no less than 100 psi to be safe
I think you mean the LPFP, the HPFP shall be around 1800-2000 psi...

G/L with the new setup, E85 is bloody addictive!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

sorry yes the HPFP dips down to 500 psi not 50 my lpfp sits on a rock steady 68 - 70 psi

Funny new HPFP and its up down like a roller coaster in the logs.

LOL should read those logs a little better.
Appreciate 0