BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Lightbulb Need Help: Modding Angel Eyes

Hi guys. Been searching around for problems of changing angel eyes into aftermarket one and still got confuse whether to the mod or not. Here the story, Two months ago I plan to do lux but now it's getting blurry and have to clarify with you guys about the problem that might ruin my adaptive.

Is it just lux or other aftermarket angel eyes might cause a problem to the adaptive? For lux I know we have to set it up properly so that it doesn't interfere the adaptive motor. How about other brands? Any experience guys?

Appreciate any comment and opinion. Please help guys. Trying to get as much as I can for positive feedback. I really want to change my angel eyes for the brighter one, preferably 6500K. Also, does change it in auto shop safer? or they still have the chance to give me the problem. I plan to do it and Schatz and Krum, anyone ever did the mods there?
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
F80_M3llow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 135i  [7.00]
I just purchased my lux and no problems with the headlights And no errors. Very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Any kind of angel eyes run the risk of messing with your headlights. About once every couple months we see a new thread from someone saying that their headlights are now malfunctioning due to angel eyes. Most believe its worth the risk and are very careful when installing them but if something goes wrong be prepared to drop 1k+ on new headlights. Gotta pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Any kind of angel eyes run the risk of messing with your headlights. About once every couple months we see a new thread from someone saying that their headlights are now malfunctioning due to angel eyes. Most believe its worth the risk and are very careful when installing them but if something goes wrong be prepared to drop 1k+ on new headlights. Gotta pay to play.
So with that being said, is that possible for the error to happen later after the installation? I mean it doesn't have specific time when the error will happen or what? I heard some of them having problem right after the installation but never heard if a week later or so they just got the problem rather than get the problem right away. Correct me if I'm wrong. Our angel eyes is not bad at all but I just want to try something new but if something bad happen I'm not yet ready, lol.
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinT1addict View Post
I just purchased my lux and no problems with the headlights And no errors. Very happy with them.
Your car does have adaptive headlight right? When did you install it? I'm curious since some members said I have to be really careful when installing it. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
So with that being said, is that possible for the error to happen later after the installation? I mean it doesn't have specific time when the error will happen or what? I heard some of them having problem right after the installation but never heard if a week later or so they just got the problem rather than get the problem right away. Correct me if I'm wrong. Our angel eyes is not bad at all but I just want to try something new but if something bad happen I'm not yet ready, lol.
Some people seem to install them and then forget to correctly seal the headlight so moisture gets in and then one month later they get a headlight failure. Anything can happen. There are more people without problems than there are those with problems but it can happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
F80_M3llow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinT1addict View Post
Your car does have adaptive headlight right? When did you install it? I'm curious since some members said I have to be really careful when installing it. Let me know
I got them not even two weeks ago. To install them I used 3m tape. The little black box the Lux comes with i taped it right to the back of the bulb out of the way of all moving parts. The cover will will hold the box in place nice and snug so it has no chance of moving. Ever since then no adaptive errors or malfunctions and they look awesome day or night.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Like everyone else is saying, the main problem is people not taking the time to properly reinstall the back cover of the headlight assembly. I've personally changed the h8 bulbs so many times, I lost count. Not one single error or malfunction.
      12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

So basically the most common problem will be condensation or an adaptive malfunction? Some fellow members in my area were offering hands if in case I really want to install it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Anyone installed LED for their AE? What brand did you use? How was it? I'm curious about HID vs LED sees from the price and problems from each. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

I just installed 8000k hid for my angel eyes and couldn't be happier. I got the alpine brand and the good thing about those was it came with a second set of the back headlight covers that have been pre drilled with a hole for the wires and light build to run through with rubber gaskets around them. This way you can store the ballast outside of the headlight housing and there's no chance of it getting in the way and damaging the adaptive motor. Also as long as you seat the cover back down Correctly there's no chance of moisture or water creeping in because you aren't trying to run a wire out if the housing to the ballast and then the seal on the cover gasket is broken. Usually when people do that it's because they are trying to store the ballast outside the light so it dosent mess with the adaptive motor but in doing so the wire running out still breaks the seal. So with the pre drilled sealed holes n the Oem light covers they send that eliminates both hazards so as long as you take the time to close em correctly you're good. Oh an they look bad ass. Like the new 3 series angel eyes.
Appreciate 0