BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Chargepipes. Should that matter when choosing an intercooler?

So, I'm settled on getting an intercooler and I'm stuck with a decision with what type of inlet/outlet connections I should get. As I understand it, chargepipes would connect to the IC inlet and outlet and would install in place of the plastic factory connections. (not sure if I'm explaining that right)

If I get an IC with the stock connections, the installation will be easier, and I feel like it's a less leak-prone connection. But then I'm basically stuck with the stock chargepipes, right? Would I still have the option of adding aftermarket chargepipes (and perhaps a BOV) later.

Should I get the silicone tube + clamp type connection so I have the option of getting higher-flowing chargepipes and BOV later? Am I even thinking about this correctly?

It looks like there is another segment between the chargepipe and the intercooler. If that's the case, then why does HPF even sell their intercooler with a silicone tube + clamp option?

135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.

Last edited by jeremydgreat; 07-17-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Go with ER they have the matching charge pipe and you can add a blow off. Its what i went with. The hard part is cutting those clamps with out nicking pipe. On the connections near turbos. You will have three silcone connections. I have never had an issue and im running 16 pounds boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I'm by no means a FMIC expert (I'm stock), but I've been reading a bit about them the past few days.

Other than the obvious you mentioned (Ability to run different BOVs later) it seems that some do not like the accordion style connector as it causes turbulence. The other point I've found is that the stock plumbing is rather small (in diameter) compared to the offerings of the non-stock-style intercooler charge pipes (with silicone sleeves).

I'm sure others will chime in with better feedback, but that should get you started for now
      07-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dang, I hoped there would be more thoughts on this one. Maybe this topic has already been discussed too much?
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Hey Jeremy I went through the same dilemma as you when choosing my setup. If you go through the HPF FMIC/BOV thread you can see my posts regarding this. I wanted the HPF FMIC but I didn't like the idea of retaining the stock intercooler piping as I saw this as a bottleneck. HPF have a FMIC + BOV kit in the works which replaces the entire intercooler piping as well as the charge pipe with the Synapse BOV. This seemed perfect but after waiting 8 months I couldn't wait any longer (and I'm glad I didn't as it's not out yet).

I ended up buying the HPF FMIC with the C-Clip quick connections and ordered the ER Charge Pipe with Synapse BOV in the long version anodized in black with 2 meth bungs. Now that I have the setup on my car I can tell you this is one of the best setups right now. For the amount of power we are making the stock intercooler piping isn't really a bottle neck and everything is working perfectly. Both the HPF FMIC and the ER CP are top notch in quality, fitment and design too. I highly recommend this setup and my advice is to not worry about the small portion of the stock intercooler piping.

I always like to do a ton of research and buy the perfect setup the first time and unless the full HPF kit is really that much better I don't see myself upgrading. Otherwise, I recommend getting the complete ER FMIC + CP which replaces the intercooler piping you are concerned about. It seems like a good setup but I wanted the HPF because I wanted a bigger core. Good luck and hope my post helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Hey Jeremy I went through the same dilemma as you when choosing my setup. If you go through the HPF FMIC/BOV thread you can see my posts regarding this. I wanted the HPF FMIC but I didn't like the idea of retaining the stock intercooler piping as I saw this as a bottleneck. HPF have a FMIC + BOV kit in the works which replaces the entire intercooler piping as well as the charge pipe with the Synapse BOV. This seemed perfect but after waiting 8 months I couldn't wait any longer (and I'm glad I didn't as it's not out yet).

I ended up buying the HPF FMIC with the C-Clip quick connections and ordered the ER Charge Pipe with Synapse BOV in the long version anodized in black with 2 meth bungs. Now that I have the setup on my car I can tell you this is one of the best setups right now. For the amount of power we are making the stock intercooler piping isn't really a bottle neck and everything is working perfectly. Both the HPF FMIC and the ER CP are top notch in quality, fitment and design too. I highly recommend this setup and my advice is to not worry about the small portion of the stock intercooler piping.

I always like to do a ton of research and buy the perfect setup the first time and unless the full HPF kit is really that much better I don't see myself upgrading. Otherwise, I recommend getting the complete ER FMIC + CP which replaces the intercooler piping you are concerned about. It seems like a good setup but I wanted the HPF because I wanted a bigger core. Good luck and hope my post helps.
Thank you! That was what I needed to hear I think. Thanks so much for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Thank you! That was what I needed to hear I think. Thanks so much for the input.
No problem. Btw, if you go with the ER Charge Pipe I recommend getting the May 09+ version which is the longer version that incorporates the elbow. It's not only cheaper than buying an elbow separately later down the track, it looks much cleaner and there is one less place for a potential leak. I have a pre May 09+ build and I opted for this and I'm not running meth at this point but when I do I will be ready to go. The stock elbow looks like a weak point because it's made out of a flimsy rubber material so I would opt for this as it's only $50 extra.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
I have the HPF Intercooler and stock charge pipe. I used to have the STETT charge pipe / Forge DV. DIdn't yield me much benefits so I sold it. Stick with HPF intercooler / stock charge pipe.

And before anyone says about how shitty the stock charge pipe is,

I've done 5 track days and 35k miles on my charge pipe and it has never leaked, or gotten loose. I'm running 14-16PSI depending on temps.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
I have the HPF Intercooler and stock charge pipe. I used to have the STETT charge pipe / Forge DV. DIdn't yield me much benefits so I sold it. Stick with HPF intercooler / stock charge pipe.

And before anyone says about how shitty the stock charge pipe is,

I've done 5 track days and 35k miles on my charge pipe and it has never leaked, or gotten loose. I'm running 14-16PSI depending on temps.
The stock CP is perfectly fine for FBO setup but once you get meth it's essential you either upgrade your DV's or replace the entire unit. I'm sure there are cases where some have gotten away with it but I've seen people have problems first hand with the DV's popping off because adding meth pushes the stock setup to the limit in running more boost than it can handle. The stock charge pipe itself is a good design and a few companies like ER have actually implemented the C-Clip connections into the aftermarket piece.

It seems Jeremy's initial concern was to replace as much of the stock piping as possible as he believes it creates a bottle neck so going with an aftermarket charge pipe with increased diameter would be my recommendation. Also, when you hold the stock CP next to the ER CP the quality, fit and finish is day and night.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post

Can u do a 2-3-4 gear datalog on your HPF intercooler, please note ambient temps and boost pressure, log ait, rpm, boost. Still need data for the HPF and ER intercoolers in the fmic comparison thread on e90post!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
Can u do a 2-3-4 gear datalog on your HPF intercooler, please note ambient temps and boost pressure, log ait, rpm, boost. Still need data for the HPF and ER intercoolers in the fmic comparison thread on e90post!
It's always curious to me when people mention threads but don't link to them.

Help me help you! (or rather, help BMW86 help you!)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's always curious to me when people mention threads but don't link to them.

Help me help you! (or rather, help BMW86 help you!)
+ 1

On the topic of charge pipes. One of the members here in Australia blew his charge pipe off at the throttle body (JB4135) today and another member in Australia blew his diverter valve off his stock charge pipe (BBK) a couple of weeks ago. This only happened after they installed meth and went WOT for the first time. The stock setup is only suitable for FBO mods, when you add meth it's only a matter of time before something pops off or breaks.

Also, HPF offer the FMIC with C-clip connection for those that want an easy install but they also offer the other style because that is what they will be using when the full intercooler piping/charge pipe kit is released. They have said in the past that anyone with the C-clip version is welcome to send their FMIC back and they will weld on the new style so you can upgrade easily (not really feasible for us in Australia). You can PM one of the guys from HPF for more info though. I wouldn't wait for the complete setup as the idea was first thrown out 12 months ago though so they are a bit slow to get things moving. My advice is to go with the HPF FMIC C-Clip version.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

I uprated the standard one. I remoeved the black rubber bit an replaced it with a larger "samco" elbow piece. I removed quite a bit of plastic swarf from inside to improve flow there too. I then fitted the Forge DDV's to it. If you do a search on my posts you will see the pics of it
      07-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
...If you do a search on my posts you will see the pics of it
Again with the non-linkage! Anyway, thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Again with the non-linkage! Anyway, thanks for the input.
here you go

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=charge+pipe
      07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
Thanks! Hope I didn't sound like a lazy-arse or something. I just think the internet is more useful when it's a huge... umm... web of links. haha. Information is more useful when there's lots of ways to get to it.

Anyway, I digress. You rock.
Appreciate 0