BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Potential track day.

Hi guys, I'm just posing a question here that may make me flame bait from my inexperience and naivete, but here goes anyway.

I've got a potential upcoming beginner's HPDE (Hooked on Driving) and I'm deciding between driving my 1M or '04 WRX wagon (70k miles.) It would be my first time attending an event like this.

Pros/cons:
1. WRX. Older car, well-maintained, somewhat less worry about thrashing it. Probably less fun than the 1M due to mild understeer despite suspension mods.

2. 1M. 3k miles. New and shiny. Didn't buy it to serve as a garage queen, but somehow suddenly have cold feet.

I suppose my major concern is the effects of wear/tear on an older car vs newer car. Currently favoring 1M.

I'm curious about the perspective of some of the more seasoned track-people. Talk some sense into me please!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

My pick would certainly be the 1M, but I'm a little biased as I've got about 8 HPDE's under my belt. I can absolutely understand the apprehension to take your beautiful new bimmer out to thrash around, but I think you'd find it more enjoyable than the Subi.

Either way, you WILL love the experience and I think that if you take your time and listen to your instructor, you'll come away clean. It's always a good idea to assess the group your running with as going out with a bunch of yahoos can make things more risky, but if it's a mature, we'll-sorted organization, then everyone will be out to be safe.

Take the 1M, put some good brake fluid in there, and leave the M button off and all the nannies on - maybe switch to MDM on the last couple runs of the weekend. I ran my first time out in the 1 at a brand new (fast) circuit and it was awesome inspiring.

Prepare to be hooked
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Take the one with the largest rear view mirror.

But seriously.... While the 1m is surely a better track weapon, I'd take the wagon. You'll learn more from a weaker platform, you won't be as concerned when your instructor pushes you past your comfort zone, and you are not out there to break any track records. Plus, this will help you appreciate the 1m even more the first time you get it on the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
If you want to learn how to drive your 1M, then yes. The main wear and tear items will be your brakes and tires. Your brakes are covered under your warranty, so your tires will be on your dime. If you're worried about paint chips and don't have a clear bra, be sure to get some painters tape or the track tape that some members are using to protect the leading edges especially the first few inches of the hood and front rear fenders.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

take the 1M...you will get a whole new 'appreciation' for the 1M after your track day.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Take the one with the largest rear view mirror.

But seriously.... While the 1m is surely a better track weapon, I'd take the wagon. You'll learn more from a weaker platform, you won't be as concerned when your instructor pushes you past your comfort zone, and you are not out there to break any track records. Plus, this will help you appreciate the 1m even more the first time you get it on the track.
I agree with Pig Farmer. I have been road racing in SCCA for 12 years. The best learning years I had were in grossly under powered and somewhat ill mannered cars. You will enjoy no matter what you take. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

As a beginner you probably wont push the car as hard as most of us who have done this before. I understand your hesitation but if you listen to your instructor and pay attention you'll be OK and you will be hooked.

from the Hooked website
"The beginner group,......– how to handle an unexpected circumstance, the “rules of the road,” and the fundamental skills of driving a car at a higher level than many have ever done."...sorry if this takes a down turn but i had to laugh when I read this explaination. All I could think about then is the scene from Jay and Silient Bob Strike Back on the "Rules of the Road. I'll let you guys look it up on youtube. Cracks me up everytime.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime View Post
As a beginner you probably wont push the car as hard as most of us who have done this before. I understand your hesitation but if you listen to your instructor and pay attention you'll be OK and you will be hooked.

from the Hooked website
"The beginner group,......– how to handle an unexpected circumstance, the “rules of the road,” and the fundamental skills of driving a car at a higher level than many have ever done."...sorry if this takes a down turn but i had to laugh when I read this explaination. All I could think about then is the scene from Jay and Silient Bob Strike Back on the "Rules of the Road. I'll let you guys look it up on youtube. Cracks me up everytime.
I feel dirty ...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I have my '08 WRX as my track car and my 1M as my DD. I took my first auto cross class on Saturday, I took my 1M as I have R compound on my WRX it was POURING rain and the rules of this club state no R compound for novices. The 1M was amazing even in the wet, I had an awesome time and everyone there REALLY appreciated the car. That said, I spent most of the day fighting going sideways and in circles.

Once I'm past the novice requirements I'll probably take the WRX, simply because I have the car already setup for the purpose. While I'm sure I'll be close in lap times, prehaps faster, with my 1M I would feel awful if I wrecked it, thus the reason I'll be taking the WRX to the track / autocross.
Appreciate 0