BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #199
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Honestly Chris, HRE sells the same baller wannabe lifestyle facade than ADV and the other shoddy wheel manufacturers. The Swiss flag on the logo to invoke quality when the company has nothing to do with Switzerland for one is super lame; just like Vorsteiner's authenticity/labels in German when the company has nothing to do with Germany.

I will agree that HRE is of MUCH higher quality than ADV and co. They do have engineering in addition to marketing... But talk to people who actually own them. Not the promo or the sponsored dudes. The real owners, who paid, who drive their cars etc. You may find their stories paint a different picture.. whether it's finish or structural.

Allegedly they have made a good deal of improvement lately but I'm not gonna take a gamble with my hard earned money.

To me it's BBS or Rays. Everything else is second with high price tags for lower quality (not to mention the baller /jet set lifestyle image they represent. Sorry but I'm not putting that shit on my car )
I've never owned adv1 nor hre but I would not ever compare the 2. HRE has history. HRE stands behind their product as evidenced by the stories I've heard about over the years. HRE does not fraudulantly claim to be TUV certified. HRE has been involved in racing.

The only comparisons I'd make are they both cost good money and both look good.

Any product can have an issue. The biggest difference to me is customer satisfaction and service after the sale. That would not be adv1....from what I'm seeing on the net.

I have had several Japanese wheels and I like them but its hard to get good service after the sale from a Japanese company. Too much water between here and there. And they do have their share of issues.

I prefer a US company mainly because your chances of getting good service should be better.....SHOULD be better.....nothing is guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #200
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
I've never owned adv1 nor hre but I would not ever compare the 2. HRE has history. HRE stands behind their product as evidenced by the stories I've heard about over the years. HRE does not fraudulantly claim to be TUV certified. HRE has been involved in racing.

The only comparisons I'd make are they both cost good money and both look good.

Any product can have an issue. The biggest difference to me is customer satisfaction and service after the sale. That would not be adv1....from what I'm seeing on the net.

I have had several Japanese wheels and I like them but its hard to get good service after the sale from a Japanese company. Too much water between here and there. And they do have their share of issues.

I prefer a US company mainly because your chances of getting good service should be better.....SHOULD be better.....nothing is guaranteed.
Did you even read my post? Because if you did I don't why you'd type that. I feel like I have to requote my entire post to answer you

Like I said, talk to the real people who own them. Not the sponsored guys, not the magazine guys.

Ask them how HRE stood behind their product when the finish started peeling off or when the owners found out they bend just as easily as Rotas.

I'v never owned HREs myself so I can only rely on the experience of others. And I meet a lot of guys through what I do.

I never said anything about HRE and fraud. As for history and racing, I do recall them being banned due to too many failures a few years ago.

Anyhow, Japan is at the top of the food chain when it comes to forging aluminum alloy.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #201
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did you even read my post? Because if you did I don't why you'd type that. I feel like I have to requote my entire post to answer you

Like I said, talk to the real people who own them. Not the sponsored guys, not the magazine guys.

Ask them how HRE stood behind their product when the finish started peeling off or when the owners found out they bend just as easily as Rotas.

I'v never owned HREs myself so I can only rely on the experience of others. And I meet a lot of guys through what I do.

I never said anything about HRE and fraud. As for history and racing, I do recall them being banned due to too many failures a few years ago.

Anyhow, Japan is at the top of the food chain when it comes to forging aluminum alloy.
I have talked to actual people who have owned HRE and had issues. Time and again those issues were handled courteously and expeditiously.
My main problem with ADV1 is they did not respond with initial courtesy, then tried to deny or refuse to rectify the issue, then tried to pretend they were so helpful after finally agreeing to help.

Japanese wheels are great but I'm done with them. They take forever to get here and because they are so far away, they don't provide good service when there is an issue. The dealers make such a small profit that they can't resolve issues that should be covered by manufacturers.
The wheels I'm running currently were made in America. WHen I have an issue, I call the company and they send a replacement part. That's the great part about 3 piece wheels, damage a part and replace only that part, not the whole wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #202
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:

I will agree that HRE is of MUCH higher quality than ADV and co. They do have engineering in addition to marketing... But talk to people who actually own them. Not the promo or the sponsored dudes. The real owners, who paid, who drive their cars etc. You may find their stories paint a different picture.. whether it's finish or structural.
Agreed. You should talk to people like me who own a set of HRE and track them on a regular basis. I track the crap out of my P43S, and they are absolutely phenomenal. They look great, are strong and light. The finish looks fantastic - no chips here. I know at least two others who have HRE wheels and run them at the track and street regularly, and have absolutely no issues whatsoever. In fact, 2 years later, their wheels look almost mint! There's a reason why teams like Fall-Line use HRE.

And I've also had the pleasure of dealing with HRE for customer service. They really do care about their customers and make sure they're 100% satisfied. I love Volks and Advan wheels (having owned several sets), and the quality across these brands is excellent. But i'll be getting another set of HRE soon because they match great designs with quality product and support.

Quote:

Also, you might want to spend a little bit of time doing some getting educated rather than listening to rumours that turned out to be bogus over 7 seven years ago. HRE was never banned from IMSA or PCA: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=16

Last edited by sawzall; 08-29-2012 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #203
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

The HRE wheels on my e46m3 had zero issues.I tracked and DD that car for 4years.They were great!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #204
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

For what it's worth, a number of my friends also run HRE's with no real issues that I've heard of. Curious though, why does HRE always seem to in some way come up with ADV.1 during discussions? They're not related entities and there is an appreciable difference (IMO) in quality, history, and motorsport experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #205
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
I want to see more pics of your mag blues
My cheapest guns or wheels? lol

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #206
iDontAlwaysDrink
Private First Class Asshole
Rep
Drives: ....but when I do....

^How much did all those smexies run you? And how da hell you get those in California without being taken down by the FBI for being a domestic Batman terrorist? lulz. That F2000 looks purdy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #207
kaiv
United_States
Rep

^he fled California that's how

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post

Also, you might want to spend a little bit of time doing some getting educated rather than listening to rumours that turned out to be bogus over 7 seven years ago. HRE was never banned from IMSA or PCA: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=16
Wow! Thank you for that!
It is mind blowing the length to which some people who go to detract their competitor (or at least a brand they don't like)!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #208
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontAlwaysDrink View Post
^How much did all those smexies run you? And how da hell you get those in California without being taken down by the FBI for being a domestic Batman terrorist? lulz. That F2000 looks purdy.
Homeland Security/Military exemption. You apply for permit 60 days before you enter the state. Once California/CDOJ approves it you can bring them into the state even though for civilians these are felonies to own in California. However the only downside is you can ONLY bring 10 round or less magazines. High capacity mags are illegal. You cant get around that unless using on official business.

At one point I was up to $30k in firearms. Then started selling them to free up easy cash for M3. lol Thats how I bought my first set of Volks and Coilovers. lol

My favorite is my KRISS Super V SBR carbine. Totally illegal to own in California and BATF will not let me bring into California so they stay in Maine/Oregon. I ordered a Barrett 50 BMG close quarter combat rifle and its in but I still owe 4k and I have a Thermal Optics package with MARS 6 optic. Rifle + optics = $19,000.

I can tell you my collection dwarfs what you see some owners in Oregon own. I went to the range in Salem Oregon and this guy in his 50s had a minigun full auto and was dumping thousands of rounds chasing a remote control decoy. All you heard was straight auto fire for like 1 minute. Just like out of the movie "Act of Valor" boat scene. It was so much firepower I was amazed. Oregon State Police were right there filming it. Completely legal.

Can you imagine the CHP watching some 25 year old kid with a mini gun full auto at the range in Oakland California. NO FRICKEN WAY. lol

Last edited by Endless619; 08-30-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #209
Amaproracin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontAlwaysDrink View Post
Homeland Security/Military exemption. You apply for permit 60 days before you enter the state. Once California/CDOJ approves it you can bring them into the state even though for civilians these are felonies to own in California. However the only downside is you can ONLY bring 10 round or less magazines. High capacity mags are illegal. You cant get around that unless using on official business.

At one point I was up to $30k in firearms. Then started selling them to free up easy cash for M3. lol Thats how I bought my first set of Volks and Coilovers. lol

My favorite is my KRISS Super V SBR carbine. Totally illegal to own in California and BATF will not let me bring into California so they stay in Maine/Oregon. I ordered a Barrett 50 BMG close quarter combat rifle and its in but I still owe 4k and I have a Thermal Optics package with MARS 6 optic. Rifle + optics = $19,000

I have more in firearms than some M3 owners have in ALL their aftermarket parts. lol

Holy moley!!
      08-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #210
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I ordered a Barrett 50 BMG close quarter combat rifle
Are you kidding, is this a typo, brain-fart? There is absolutely no such thing as ANY 50 BMG CQC rifle, let alone a Barrett one. 50 BMG is exclusively for long range sniping and anti-material purposes. If this was not one of the aforementioned slip ups, you've lost all firearms credibility here in one fell swoop.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #211
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Are you kidding, is this a typo, brain-fart? There is absolutely no such thing as ANY 50 BMG CQC rifle, let alone a Barrett one. 50 BMG is exclusively for long range sniping and anti-material purposes. If this was not one of the aforementioned slip ups, you've lost all firearms credibility here in one fell swoop.
Actually incorrect. Its the 20 inch barrel which is labeled CQ. And California residents would know nothing about this since its a felony to own one unless registered before 2000. Fact. This is not Call of Duty guy.

You see the 29 inch barrel Barrett in the videogames. LMAO.

Model M82A1CQ-SYS is the standard w/ 20" brl. & chrome bore. ... $9200

This is only 3.5 inches longer that my Colt LE6920 AR15. Keep in mind the Colt LE6920 (another felony to own in California) is 16.1 inches and the Barrett is 20 inches.

Scroll to the bottom of specs page and you will see the 9 inch shorter barrel...

http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model82a1

More...

http://www.50bmgstore.com/50bmgcurrentprices.htm

Now a pic of the actual CQC BMG..

The 50 BMG out of the videogames, Robocop, what you see in the movies..

Anyway enough about firearms. Back to original post and ADV1 wheels...

Bump!

Last edited by Endless619; 08-30-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #212
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep

This gun crap has to be the most collosal thread jack of all time.
How did we go from wheels to weapons of mass destruction?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #213
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry in advance for the OT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Actually incorrect. Its the 20 inch barrel which is labeled CQ. And California residents would know nothing about this since its a felony to own one unless registered before 2000. Fact. This is not Call of Duty guy.

You see the 29 inch barrel Barrett in the videogames. LMAO.
This is only 3.5 inches longer that my Colt LE6920 AR15. Keep in mind the Colt LE6920 (another felony to own in California) is 16.1 inches and the Barrett is 20 inches.
Being able to handle a long range rifle more effectively in close quarters is different than calling it a "close quarter combat rifle" as you did. That is a word for word quote. Clearly the point of a shorter barrel is improved handling in vehicles (air, ground, water) or getting into a sniping position. Barrett only calls the rifle CQ for close quarter, NOT what you said. I certainly acknowledge Barrett's chosen name for the rifle, however poor the name is.

There is a well acknowledged definition of CQB and CQC which is what most folks recognize as what SWAT or a Special Operations team does in a raid. You are fighting with bad guys at a very short range. No one would ever use a 50 BMG rifle for any thing of this sort, period.

My opinions and these facts are 100% independent of any movie or video game BS. As well they have nothing to do with what is legal or illegal in California. Your proposition that I cannot be informed because I live in a State where such rifles are not allowed to be used by the public is absolute absurdity. Bringing it back to cars it is like the idiots who argue that you can not discuss the performance of a car without having driven it. Ugh.

Lastly your comparison of this 20" barreled rifle to a 20" AR15 also indicates some confusion of the true role of the rifle. Maybe you aren't but the comparison is pretty useless.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #214
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sorry in advance for the OT....

Being able to handle a long range rifle more effectively in close quarters is different than calling it a "close quarter combat rifle" as you did. That is a word for word quote. Clearly the point of a shorter barrel is improved handling in vehicles (air, ground, water) or getting into a sniping position. Barrett only calls the rifle CQ for close quarter, NOT what you said. I certainly acknowledge Barrett's chosen name for the rifle, however poor the name is.

There is a well acknowledged definition of CQB and CQC which is what most folks recognize as what SWAT or a Special Operations team does in a raid. You are fighting with bad guys at a very short range. No one would ever use a 50 BMG rifle for any thing of this sort, period.

My opinions and these facts are 100% independent of any movie or video game BS. As well they have nothing to do with what is legal or illegal in California. Your proposition that I cannot be informed because I live in a State where such rifles are not allowed to be used by the public is absolute absurdity. Bringing it back to cars it is like the idiots who argue that you can not discuss the performance of a car without having driven it. Ugh.

Lastly your comparison of this 20" barreled rifle to a 20" AR15 also indicates some confusion of the true role of the rifle. Maybe you aren't but the comparison is pretty useless.
I am not here to debate. Pretty useless. Have you shot any of these weapons downrange or an actual owner? We use these for recreational target shooting. I used the term that was on my fricken receipt and what is on the box. Sorry you have an issue with it.

This was towards Kaiv as we were having fun and you decide to bite. Nice.

Again I am not here to bash as I am an owner of some of these weapons and civilians like yourself are banned from owning so thus rely on magazines and hearsay and videogames unless you are a felon or military? If you are military I am sorry to get in your face. I get tired of members on the gun forums I participate on spout out a bunch of shit and have ZERO experience with the rife, pistol, or whatever.

I did not compare a 20 inch AR I said LE6920 which is 16.1 inches, but you knew that. The gun is sitting right in front of me. Thats beside the point. Do you know the purpose of a longer barrel VS a shorter barrel?

PM me if you are unclear. Thanks.

Anyway get this on track.

Last edited by Endless619; 08-30-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #215
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Combat rifles are about as useless as ADV.1 wheels in daily life. They look pretty but you can't really use them for much.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #216
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

dumb thread just got more dumb
      08-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #217
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
dumb thread just got more dumb
Seriously. I didn't bother wasting my life but did this thread really turn into a gun discussion? Awesome use of a car forum gentleman
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #218
kaiv
United_States
Rep

lol take it easy fellas. There's worse things than going OT in a thread about crappy wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #219
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

08-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #220
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

They should go to BimmerFor..ms.com the Gun section.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0