BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Nkryptd1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Monaco Blue 135i

Windshield Specs???

I'm not sure this is the right forum to pose this question but I'm looking for spec's on my OEM windshield PN: 43R-001586.

I've been trying to get my windshield replaced through insurance but they keep ordering the incorrect part. I'm looking for specs on what sensors are required and glass tint, ie green or grey. Is there anywhere I can pull this information?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkryptd1 View Post
I'm not sure this is the right forum to pose this question but I'm looking for spec's on my OEM windshield PN: 43R-001586.

I've been trying to get my windshield replaced through insurance but they keep ordering the incorrect part. I'm looking for specs on what sensors are required and glass tint, ie green or grey. Is there anywhere I can pull this information?

Thanks in advance!
I would talk with safelite... talked to them once about replacing my windshield and knew exactly what type, size and installed it the same day...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Nkryptd1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey thanks for the reply! I ended working with my insurance to have the stealership replace the glass after safelite kept ordering the incorrect windshield.

Biggest issue I encountered with Safelite is that they kept ordering the incorrect windshield, ie correct glass with sensors, but with the incorrect tint. For some reason they ordered glass with a green tint band twice instead of glass with a grey tint band.

Last edited by Nkryptd1; 04-10-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
BlackJet
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Black on Red

Thumbs down Grey vs Green

I am not happy to hear this. Progressive asked me two questions on the phone during the claim process:

Does it have rain sensor?
Does it have green or grey tint?

I told them it has rain sensor and grey tint. They sent out Safelite today with a rain sensor windshield, but it had greenish-blue tint. I really like the grey tint on my black car, it looks vary good. I do not want green tint now

Safelite is looking for the glass with grey tint. I hope they can find it or I'll have to go another shop or source. I'm sure my insurance is going to give me hell about this ....

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJet View Post
I am not happy to hear this. Progressive asked me two questions on the phone during the claim process:

Does it have rain sensor?

I told them it has rain sensor and grey tint. They sent out Safelite today with a rain sensor windshield, but it had greenish-blue tint. I really like the grey tint on my black car, it looks vary good. I do not want green tint now

Safelite is looking for the glass with grey tint. I hope they can find it or I'll have to go another shop or source. I'm sure my insurance is going to give me hell about this ....

It is YOUR car have your insurance company pay for OE BMW original parts and not OEM parts. Have a dealer do the work and make sure they don't sub contract the job out and use aftermarket glass.

I have a friend who works for State Farm. He told me year ago for OEM windshields in the USA they either are PPG or Glasurit. PPG is made in the states and Glasurit is made in Germany. The German glass is "softer" and tends to crack easier and show windshield wiper blade wear more. The German like it bc it can bend more in an accident.

The PPG glass is harder but tends to get bulls eyes or those rock impacts more. When it gets one of those... the glass crack will spread fast.

Our cars have rain sensors and two gaskets for the windshield. When I had my first windshield replaced (at BMW) the glass was only 340 euros... but when you added in the special glue and rain sensor and gaskets(2) and something else I am forgetting... the parts bill was like 900 euros. I think in the end it cost my insurance company 1,300 euros. A year and half later my second windshield from BMW costs almost the same amount!

Also... when you have the rain sensor replaced... you also need to have it "recalibrated" or "initialized" to your car. Only BMW can do that. This is why some car's windshield wipers act up funny.

PS: Btw... that friend of mine who works for State Farm told me... when ever they have a claim... they will always use cheap Chinese OEM parts like fenders and such. But IF the owner really insisits or better yet... has the car fixed and then turns in a bill to the insurance company... they have to pay it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
BlackJet
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 Black on Red

Solid advice!

I didn't know about TWO gaskets, I will watch them closely.

The glass contractor is attempting to replace the glass today. They have OEM glass with the correct tint. If they show up and it is not OEM with the correct specs, I will send them away again.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Nkryptd1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It is YOUR car have your insurance company pay for OE BMW original parts and not OEM parts. Have a dealer do the work and make sure they don't sub contract the job out and use aftermarket glass.
I took this advice and insisted the dealership replace it after all the problems I encountered. My insurance company had no issue with installing OEM glass with the dealer.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkryptd1 View Post
I took this advice and insisted the dealership replace it after all the problems I encountered. My insurance company had no issue with installing OEM glass with the dealer.

Thanks for the advice!
Happy Ending's are always nice to hear about. Glad it all worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJet View Post

I told them it has rain sensor and grey tint.

My Pilkington OE windsheild (with Roundel) has no tint.

The installer had a Saint-Gobain Sekurit replacement with grey tint.

I requested no tint like my factory OE glass. They could not locate one and are trying to source one from the dealer.

Does the 1 come with tint on the windshield from the factory? Or does it vary by market?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I had a bad crack in my windshield first thing i did was call my dealership and ask who they recommended to install new glass.

The company they recommended told my insurance company that they dont sell any glass besides OEM for my car... insurance bought it and i got a new OEM windshield believe it or not.
Appreciate 0