BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i M package convertible

Exclamation Getting a 135i w/o warranty

Hey guys

I'm very close to picking up a 2009 135i convertible manual transmission with 18,000 miles.
The cpo warranty will be up early next year and I was wondering how nervous I should be about owning a 135i without warranty...

I know many issues are covered under an extended warranty
HPFP and turbo

I've done a lot of searches on these forums and the answer has varied from
"never own a bmw out of warranty. period." to.... "put some cash away its no big deal.."

How hard is it to work on the 135i myself? does every single repair require special tools?

should i buy anything specific for scanning? (what is the most recommended tool?)

should I consider an extended warranty through bmw? I believe I can only add an additional 2 years? at an estimated $3000 cost...

if they offer to replace the HPFP early should I do it? will it affect performance?

Thank you in advance for any and all input!
I know I've asked a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

How long do you think you'd keep the car? Do you keep them a couple years or 5-6 years? How many miles do you drive per year? What's your typical commute if this is a daily driver?

Reason is with 18k miles you have a lot of miles before typical parts might fail. If you can get the service history that would help. That's low miles for an '09 so the car wasn't driven much so it's been in the garage a lot.

Most likely (if it hasn't been replaced) the battery will go. If the tires are original, that will set you back some, but CPO the tread depth has to be at a certain spec or they get replaced. You can always ask about the HPFP and see if it was replaced and if not, have them replace it. I'm not sure that would have been replaced before the car was offered as a CPO.

It sounds like you found a nice find and might be a good deal if it checks out. You don't see too many <4k miles/year cars out there.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Anything European I would get a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
gnubbs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Sure, BMWs can be expensive to maintain - but they are so much fun that they are worth every penny.

As for specialized tools - the only things that I have needed beyond standard mechanics tools are torx, inverted torx, and security torx bits. All can be purchased cheaply on ECS or Amazon. That has been enough for me to do everything from basic maintenance to replacing valve cover gaskets and valvetronic solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

If you love it buy it, have no fear life's to short for all that, I've had my 2010 n54 for three years no problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukuss View Post
If you love it buy it, have no fear life's to short for all that, I've had my 2010 n54 for three years no problems.
I agree with this. I've had my car for four years. Warranty just expired. Love the car and I'm keeping it. If something breaks, I'll get it fixed.
      10-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Got my 2010 without any kind of warranty. Got it at 41k. Put at least 11k miles on it so far, besides changing the oil I haven't needed any maintenance or failures so far, and I have some bolt ons and JB4.

Oh wait, actually I had to replace my cornering bulbs which took all of 15 minutes and some autozone bulbs lol.

The only "problem" I have with my car is a wonky window motor, but its around $300 to fix, but I can live with it since it works as long as I hold the button. Similar to problems in any brand car.

Warranty is over rated IMO. What are you going to get out of that 3k warranty when the things that fail are covered already, besides the water pump? Just keep the $3k and save like $1200 or so for if/when the water pump fails. You'll still be way ahead.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Warranty. A lot of people tend to disagree and feel like warranties are for suckers. Just to change a headlight bulb you are supposed to take off the front bumper. The days of picking up a Chilton's or read a DIY are long gone for me.
Since owning my 135i e88 The rear diff, all six injectors, the radio and convertible top have been replaces.
Maybe if it wasn't a daily driver I would think about working on it myself but it is way nicer to hand my keys and get a loaner.
It could be that I am just getting older and want to simplify my life. I won't even flash a new rom on my Android phone because I don't want the headache.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      10-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

I would say the one thing you need to set money aside for is the water pump and thermostat.

The water pump will almost definitely fail and it's not cheap to replace, even if you do it yourself (~$500-600 diy job).
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

What you should do is negotiate hard on the price to reflect the car has very little warranty left. Also you have enough time left to discover if there are any major problems. Also a dealer can offer his own warranty like say 50% off parts for some period of time.

My own concern would be any body or structural damage. BTW, since you asked the question, no I don't believe you have the skills to do anything beyond minor maintenance issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Buy a BMW "Gold" warranty for the car- you're outside CPO qualifications, so it'd be a good idea to have something to cover the inevitable part failures and resulting repair bills. A lot of things can be DIY, but there are a lot of other things that require special tools or electronic gear to fix. That said, you should also locate a good independent shop that is BMW-qualified for after-factory-warranty repairs. At only 18K miles, if the car you're looking at is in good shape (the same Indy shop can also do an inspection for you), it sound like a great buy. Just be aware of the N54 weak points - HPFP and turbos (mostly wastegate issues), but those are supposed to be covered by BMW out to 110K miles.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
Buy a BMW "Gold" warranty for the car- you're outside CPO qualifications, so it'd be a good idea to have something to cover the inevitable part failures and resulting repair bills. A lot of things can be DIY, but there are a lot of other things that require special tools or electronic gear to fix. That said, you should also locate a good independent shop that is BMW-qualified for after-factory-warranty repairs. At only 18K miles, if the car you're looking at is in good shape (the same Indy shop can also do an inspection for you), it sound like a great buy. Just be aware of the N54 weak points - HPFP and turbos (mostly wastegate issues), but those are supposed to be covered by BMW out to 110K miles.
I think the warranty is 8yrs or 82,000 miles whichever comes first.

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android