Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
You will have absolutely no regrets buying one as a daily, mine was bought for that purpose. I previously had a Golf GTI as the commuter and the old Nissan (which I will never get rid of) was the Track and weekend fun car.

Somehow though, more often than not, on a nice weekend with a twisty drive ahead of me, I inevitably reach for the keys to the M, it just fills both roles so incredibly well.

One thing it does spoil a little, is the experience you have at your destination, because I find myself looking forward so much to getting back in the car and driving home again so much.

And I dodge freeways like a kid dodges Green beans, I take the roads that let me accelerate, turn and brake, all the while the little M is barking at me..... Love it.

I've never kept a car for more than 3 or so years, but now I'm stuck, now I have two cars which I absolutely can't get rid of, and I just don't have space for another.

Life's hard eh.
haha. TOUGH problems you got, man!

oh BTW....i pick up my 1M tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #46
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
haha. TOUGH problems you got, man!

heh heh... yeah tough being me.

Congratulations buddy!! You must be super super excited!

She really is a special little thing, I love cars that have a balance of their appearance, sound, and drive, and the 1M is one of those cars.

It looks angry on the road, and the way it turns and delivers acceleration is brutal and sharp, there's nothing soft about it. And although many have decided the sound is a bit subtle, I feel it is perfect, it doesn't scream "look at me, look at me", but when you get on it, or match the downshifts, she just barks and howls... love it. And so will you.. all the best. Looking forward to some piccies when you pick her up
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Hence this is the philosophy that is pushing me to upgrade to a 1M. I know it might seem crazy to some.....but i feel like it makes me 'live for the day' rather than be bored all week just to live for the weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Just get the 1M or you'll surely regret IMO
Quote:
You have a sweet spot for this car - you're eagerly looking forward to it.

As you plan to spend lots of time with it, the car may become some sort of great 'road buddy' a 'compagnon de route'. An object you will care for, to some extent as if it were a person dear to you. An object likely that precious that - in your eyes - it might even meet the level of an 'artefact': it gets you the feeling that there is some sort of soul to it, that it is much more than the sum of its material bits and pieces. An object that is capable of evoking pleasant feelings, even emotions when you behold its look and feel, its skill and effort. An object that fascinates you and others when it's shining its bonanza of colors. You'll breathe some life into it. Others will compliment you for it too. In other words, a proper tool to clock miles with smiles.

Different folks, different strokes. However testimonials all around over here confirm that there is something special about this car. It is (very) hard to find owners commenting that they were/are disappointed about this car. That can't be purely coincidental - this car must be good: it must tick many "Do Want" boxes.

The loyal friendship with this car has the potential to last longer than the ones shared with 'regular' cars: once you allow yourself to be drawn into its zone, you feel comfortable staying there for a long period of time. Getting into the 1M zone is the only way to fathom why it is a special car.

"Hey dude, is that your car parked over there ?"
"It ain't parked, buddy - it's just waiting to be driven."

"Hey dude, wake up and smell the roses, it's just a car !"
"You're right, buddy ...but what a car !"

Let the bonding start.

Name:  1M_Like.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  128.7 KB
      06-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #48
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I guess I should try to stop feeling bad about putting more miles on my 1M they seem to hold their value pretty well even with higher millage. I pick up mine in april 2011 and only have 9600miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I guess I should try to stop feeling bad about putting more miles on my 1M they seem to hold their value pretty well even with higher millage. I pick up mine in april 2011 and only have 9600miles on it.
That is actually the mínimum that you should put on your car in three years and 2 months of use in order to keep it in good shape. If I would be a buyer for a "used" 1M I would sincerely prefer a 10xxx miles car over a suspicious garage queen with 1xxx miles (done in 3 years). Ultra low mileage does not mean that it is a car with essential components kept in good shape and taken care of vs. a properly used one, I think it is the contrary and I like to think that buyers of these kind of cars know it.

So, relax and drive everyone, just avoid shopping malls and shitty public parking places as much as possible.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This isn't related to any of your questions (and, apologies for that)... My biggest complaint about the 135is vs a 1M is the fact that the 135is has a non-M interior/dash/gauge cluster. I find the non-M E9x and E8x gauge cluster incredibly boring. And, since I spend most of my time in the car while driving it, I put a lot of value on interior excitement.

This has been consistent across M cars for years.. Additional gauges.. different color ( orange) needles and illumination back in the 80s and 90s, then now unique gauge faces colors and rpm counters in the 2000s and now unique electronic gauge displays... they really do add some panache...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #51
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
When my VO 1M was delivered in 2011, I also intended to use it as my "all-weather" daily driver. I have a 100 mile round-trip commute from Baltimore to Northern VA every day and figured I'd drive the 1M till the wheels fell off and enjoy every second of it.

However, after logging thousands of miles just sitting idle in bumper-to-bumper DC traffic I realized I was wasting the specialness of the 1M forcing it to daily driver duty. So I bought a used Miata and now I get to drive the 1M whenever I want, instead of being forced to drive it on days I'd rather not (e.g., in high traffic, poor weather, etc.).

Some people buy a beater and then end up putting no miles on their "nice" car. I'm not saying that. My 1M has 33k miles on it. But those miles were all miles that I wanted to put on it. It's really nice to have the option of jumping into a beater on those days where you know you're not going to get to enjoy the drive, or when you're going into the city and don't want to deal with dents, vandals, etc. On those days I actually am glad I'm not in the 1M, if that makes any sense.

After almost a year and a half of owning both the Miata and the 1M I've noticed that I put about the same number of miles on both. Nobody's forcing you to ignore your 1M if you own a beater.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #52
caziz
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Hi all Im looking at buying a used M1 with 70000km on it. It just came back on lease.
Has anyone with higher milage had any serious issues. My only concern is if the car was driven really hard with some serious down shifts or driving it at 7000rpm, there could be damage that might haunt me in the future? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #53
DCYT
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: FD3S

If this is the one at BMW of Toronto, it's in pretty rough shape.
Salt stains in the foot wells of the fronts seats even though they detailed the car.

Paint chips all over and all the wheels are curbed.

They started at 54k and now are down to 49900. I think a fair price would be 45k or so .....

It's been thru some rough times.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #54
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Nobody's forcing you to ignore your 1M if you own a beater.
Amen. My beater is an E36 M3 with 216,000 miles on it that is still a hoot to drive. I've put about equal mileage on both cars since getting the 1M three years ago.

Best of both worlds, I submit, although I have to admit I'm no longer as anal about keeping the E36 all that perfect and it is now parked on the street out front.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #55
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I drive my 1M 120 miles a day. and it is fucking epic. Life is too short to compromise.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #56
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
I drive my 1M 120 miles a day. and it is fucking epic. Life is too short to compromise.

Haven't been here in months.

Congrats on your M.

Physician and escaped/reformed Long Islander here. I drive my 1M fairly regularly, and could see it easily being a DD, but my DD now is a '14 GMC Sierra crew cab. Not quite a Long Island/Brooklyn truck, but I needed something to get me in-house on call when it snows here in PA. Plus, if I ever hit the track - I'll have plenty of room for gear and a trailer!

My old DD was a 128i 'vert, but honestly, the 1M is far more enjoyable and lively, not to mention a little more solid. You should be fine with your 1M in Brooklyn/LI/NYC for the most part. Just watch our for those nasty potholes! 1M = perfect vehicle for a nice sunny trip out to Montauk and a getaway weekend.
      09-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #57
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post

Haven't been here in months.

Congrats on your M.

Physician and escaped/reformed Long Islander here. I drive my 1M fairly regularly, and could see it easily being a DD, but my DD now is a '14 GMC Sierra crew cab. Not quite a Long Island/Brooklyn truck, but I needed something to get me in-house on call when it snows here in PA. Plus, if I ever hit the track - I'll have plenty of room for gear and a trailer!

My old DD was a 128i 'vert, but honestly, the 1M is far more enjoyable and lively, not to mention a little more solid. You should be fine with your 1M in Brooklyn/LI/NYC for the most part. Just watch our for those nasty potholes! 1M = perfect vehicle for a nice sunny trip out to Montauk and a getaway weekend.
the potholes are definitely nasty....get much worse in the winter time. i will be on dedicated snow tires which will add some cushion but over the past several years no matter HOW careful one is, you never know when a pothole with get you!!!

i drive to and from the hospital every single day.....and it is so fantastic. at my work, the car has become instantly recognizable as me! i guess that's a good and bad thing? LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #58
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
That is actually the mínimum that you should put on your car in three years and 2 months of use in order to keep it in good shape. If I would be a buyer for a "used" 1M I would sincerely prefer a 10xxx miles car over a suspicious garage queen with 1xxx miles (done in 3 years). Ultra low mileage does not mean that it is a car with essential components kept in good shape and taken care of vs. a properly used one, I think it is the contrary and I like to think that buyers of these kind of cars know it.
Agreed, these cars are meant to be driven and don't go through the rigorous maintenance and inspection services that supercars go through, which allow (and almost encourage) them to be driven very little.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #59
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

If our gas tax isn't insanely high I wouldn't mind driving it like 60Km round trip for work like I used to - I just walk to work now that I've moved and feels like I need to drive more. My last tank only last 380Km which is less than 240miles (and I ran the range down to 7km and still managed to only fill 48L)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #60
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
If our gas tax isn't insanely high I wouldn't mind driving it like 60Km round trip for work like I used to - I just walk to work now that I've moved and feels like I need to drive more. My last tank only last 380Km which is less than 240miles (and I ran the range down to 7km and still managed to only fill 48L)
60km is nothing....life is too short to agonize over gas prices!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #61
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just curious how much you pay for gas each week given the 120mile commute?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #62
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Just curious how much you pay for gas each week given the 120mile commute?
At least 2-3 fill-ups per week runs me about $90 to $130 depending on how many times. Honestly i don't regret it one bit though! I work pretty hard and i spend a lot of time commuting (3 hours per day at least) so i want to be in my favourite car in the world for those 3 hours!

(practically speaking though...you're right...it's stupid....but i'll gladly trade stupidity for happiness!)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #63
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I guess if cash flow isn't an issue for that fuel up frequency, which is why I don't always go to US for gas as I would have to plan for it (to save $15 a tank). $55USD a tank vs $75CDN, and I fill up like every 2-3 weeks so I don't really care that much. It's just that I'm so used to hitting 500Km per tank in a 2.0L turbo before
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #64
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I guess if cash flow isn't an issue for that fuel up frequency, which is why I don't always go to US for gas as I would have to plan for it (to save $15 a tank). $55USD a tank vs $75CDN, and I fill up like every 2-3 weeks so I don't really care that much. It's just that I'm so used to hitting 500Km per tank in a 2.0L turbo before
i want to enjoy my time.....i don't really care about spending money on gas. NO i'm not rich or anything....just stupid and living for the moment!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #65
Stu1M
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
the potholes are definitely nasty....get much worse in the winter time. i will be on dedicated snow tires which will add some cushion but over the past several years no matter HOW careful one is, you never know when a pothole with get you!!!

i drive to and from the hospital every single day.....and it is so fantastic. at my work, the car has become instantly recognizable as me! i guess that's a good and bad thing? LOL
Another physician here! I drive my 1M daily on my commute and use it for work too: house calls to patients houses. I'm in a rural area and in the winter use winter tyres. Now on 53,000 miles and loving it every day! About the equivalent of $110 US to fill up here though.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #66
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu1M View Post
Another physician here! I drive my 1M daily on my commute and use it for work too: house calls to patients houses. I'm in a rural area and in the winter use winter tyres. Now on 53,000 miles and loving it every day! About the equivalent of $110 US to fill up here though.
fantastic!!! well done sir!

house calls? proper medicine!
Appreciate 0