BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Exclamation Engine Malfunction!

Hello everyone.

Quick background. Car started fine. Drove to the highway with one little pull on a side street to get past grandma on my way to college. As soon as I merge onto the highway doing about 40kmph because Toronto traffic. Car freaks out and big msg saying engine malfunction. So i limp to it to school so it can sit while i write this hoping its a one off and no worries when i go back to return home or an indy shop to get codes. I did however listen to the car and it doesnt behave any differently then yesterday or last year. I checked the charge pipe thinking it blew since i have 91,000km now but its sturdy and doesnt appear to have any issues. I was thinking maybe a coil is gone but the idle of the car is still purring. Only other thing i can think of is boost silenoid since there appears to be nothing wrong but just reduced power. If anyone has any ideas that i can check before i pay $170 for a diag that would be great.

Should mention everything is stock besides the ppk software.

Hopefully your having a better day then myself
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Hello everyone.

Quick background. Car started fine. Drove to the highway with one little pull on a side street to get past grandma on my way to college. As soon as I merge onto the highway doing about 40kmph because Toronto traffic. Car freaks out and big msg saying engine malfunction. So i limp to it to school so it can sit while i write this hoping its a one off and no worries when i go back to return home or an indy shop to get codes. I did however listen to the car and it doesnt behave any differently then yesterday or last year. I checked the charge pipe thinking it blew since i have 91,000km now but its sturdy and doesnt appear to have any issues. I was thinking maybe a coil is gone but the idle of the car is still purring. Only other thing i can think of is boost silenoid since there appears to be nothing wrong but just reduced power. If anyone has any ideas that i can check before i pay $170 for a diag that would be great.

I just had this same problem a few months ago, had no clue what it was. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1398334

I would drive it fine but under hard throttle onto the highway, going 60+ i would get the limp mode. Only happened a few times (max 4 or 5) I pressed the start button three times to clear the message and drove like a normal person until i could figure out what was wrong with it.

Went to my friends shop and took a look at the solenoids, one looked corroded out. Replaced it and car is driving like a champ for a 1553XX mile car. Check out your solenoids, hopefully you get it solved.

Last edited by Ladydragonz; 09-26-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Here in the US I would just suggest you stop by an Autozone or Advance Auto or similar and have them plug into the OBD and tell you the codes. Most places will do this for free. Once you have the codes, just compare them to the document on the forums called:

"BMW N55 Diagnostic Fault Codes.pdf"

You can go from there.

Good luck!

-Sam
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for suggestions.

The car doesn't have the message but the engine symbol is still lit up on the gauge. Car still pulls but on cold start it is a bit rumbly and she doesn't like it.

If anyone in Toronto has a scanner, I have a 6 pack of beer with your name on it. I don't have the tools here but I can fix almost anything at my fathers place (isnt that always the case ahah).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Betting it is the HPFP going out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tasty View Post
Betting it is the HPFP going out.
Is it common on a N55? I'm dropping it off tonight so they can have a look tomorrow since the indy shop was busy. I would have thought that would show signs like long cranking or very rough idle to complete engine stalls. The car has slight rough cold start but once its warm it purrs and still has boost. I'm at a lost until they scan the car.

I think it's time to invest in a cable and mhd so I can read codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update: Dropped if off at the shop. No check engine light or anything. Still drives like before. Hopefully they can read shadow codes so I can do some preventative maintenance now.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So the shadow codes showed up as
2DCE and 2E0F.
My mechanic said its the valvetronic servomotor. Usually the wires get freyed. He check out the connects and also made sure it was talking with the DME. Everything turned out good. He wasnt sure why it got triggered as mine is still in great working condition. Anyways it was $100 for the scan and him to make sure everything was in working order.

Guess I dodged a bullet but I think ill order the valvetronic servomotor anyways just as a backup.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Does the Valvetronic Servo also correct idling? I'm having bad cold start idles. Almost to point of complete stalling. After 5 minutes of driving, car runs perfectly. Wonder if I should change the servo if this is the cause. No engine lights or anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
Does the Valvetronic Servo also correct idling? I'm having bad cold start idles. Almost to point of complete stalling. After 5 minutes of driving, car runs perfectly. Wonder if I should change the servo if this is the cause. No engine lights or anything.
How many miles? When's the last time you changed plugs?

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #11
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

91,000km and plugs were done around the 70k mark. I'm getting the intake walnut blasted not this weekend but next weekend (the 15th). Hopefully this helps, otherwise I think its time to buy all new coils.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Battery is only at most 2 years old. Replaced it not long ago with a high CCA and better battery overall and it was coded to the car.

Might as well update,

Purchased new Essentric Shaft Actuator along with the gasket and a new valve cover gasket. This weekend I'll be replacing the actuator since the codes showed up as that being the issue. Hopefully this fixes the cold start rough idle I have. This is also very expensive, BMW quoted over 2grand to do the job. I sourced and got deals on everything, costing roughly $500 in parts alone.
Appreciate 0