BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
LCI Lights / Steering Trim

LCI Lights
Has anyone upgraded their lights to the LCI "swooped" style? If so, is there much messing around installing them? Any before and after photos on a Titan Silver?

Steering Wheel Trim
My steering wheel trim is starting to peel in one area (I don't recall scratching at it with my fingernail but that's what it looks like it has done) so I'm thinking of replacing it with a new one, alcantara, or M3 style (will it fit?). Is this a big job that needs to be done by BMW or (by the looks of the clips on the replacement parts) is this something you can do yourself?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.
      06-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I started a thread about the LCI tailights here a couple of months back. Read all about the schenanigans involved there. For the money, there's a few other things I'd be doing to my car first (and I still like my three stripes).

edit: update, I just went back to the old thread and read through to the end, the retrofit is apparently easier and doesn't require any coding like was first thought!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512006

Not sure about the wheel. If you wear any, check your finger rings or watch bracelet perhaps in case they're the culprit of your scratch?

Last edited by MikeVictor; 06-08-2011 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
Steering Wheel Trim
My steering wheel trim is starting to peel in one area (I don't recall scratching at it with my fingernail but that's what it looks like it has done) so I'm thinking of replacing it with a new one, alcantara, or M3 style (will it fit?). Is this a big job that needs to be done by BMW or (by the looks of the clips on the replacement parts) is this something you can do yourself?

That is covered under your warranty, I got mine replaced a couple of days ago and it was like a minor peel about 1mm and they replaced it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
That is covered under your warranty, I got mine replaced a couple of days ago and it was like a minor peel about 1mm and they replaced it anyway.
What if it is caused by you? Like for instance, a finger nail scratch. I can't believe how soft it is... I have a scratch about 2.5cms long from it! Very annoying...

Also some of the paint/plastic covering is peeling off where the cup holder is in my car, maybe caused by me putting my phone/wallet in there... Wonder if that would be fixed under warranty...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
What if it is caused by you? Like for instance, a finger nail scratch. I can't believe how soft it is... I have a scratch about 2.5cms long from it! Very annoying...

Also some of the paint/plastic covering is peeling off where the cup holder is in my car, maybe caused by me putting my phone/wallet in there... Wonder if that would be fixed under warranty...
Pretty sure mine was caused by finger nail or when i accidently poke it with my house key

I just told them it started peeling and they replaced it no question asked. It didn't even look like it peeled as it was a straight line cut lol....

Doesn't hurt to ask your SA whether the cup holder would be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I actually had my car in just this week to get the top box replaced and the whole center console replaced due to peeling paint, definitely not scratching on my part, so this might be the same issue with yours? If it's actually inside the well of the holder though this might be hard for you to justify.

The center console is being sent over from Germany but I have a new top box in and interestingly, the button design looks new and doesn't appear as crap as the previous - as in it opens first time when you push the button.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #7
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Hey BB, assuming you prefer the M3 or alcantara Wheel, and your friendly Dealer will replace your Wheel As per Raih, Pay the extra and get the wheel you Sant for the difference. As i Always say, if you don't ask..........
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Hey BB, assuming you prefer the M3 or alcantara Wheel, and your friendly Dealer will replace your Wheel As per Raih, Pay the extra and get the wheel you Sant for the difference. As i Always say, if you don't ask..........
Good idea. v2 BMW Performance wheel shouldn't be far away either, and it looks sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Good idea Alpine, but not sure I want to fork out the difference just yet... Must be a good $500+ extra?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
My SA always gives the impression he doesn't want to push through warranty claims for me. I'll call him tomorrow (the car is still in getting the front right scraping noise sorted out - 2 days in and can't find the source) so I'll see if they'll come to the party.
      06-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

I had the steering wheel changed 3 times now!! the peeling I was told was from extreme temps. Through the summer heat is when it kept peeling for me and they just do a warranty job on it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just spoke with my SA and he's all good with replacing the peeling steering wheel trim. I asked if I could pay the difference on an M3 trim and he said that's not possible as they need the exact part number to come out of stock for BMW to cover the warranty claim. Either way, I'm happy that it's getting replaced.
      06-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Just spoke with my SA and he's all good with replacing the peeling steering wheel trim. I asked if I could pay the difference on an M3 trim and he said that's not possible as they need the exact part number to come out of stock for BMW to cover the warranty claim. Either way, I'm happy that it's getting replaced.
That's awesome they are looking after you. Mine is starting to peel, but only a tiny bit and I've tried my best to avoid touching it. I'm not sure if they would cover it under warranty though because it's such a small area.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Mine is only a very small area too but I told them they may as well attend to it while my car is still in the workshop as they know I'll bring it back eventually and ask for it to be replaced.

I might request that I get the old one if they replace it so I can give the old CF sheeting a go over it and see what it looks like.
      06-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Mine is only a very small area too but I told them they may as well attend to it while my car is still in the workshop as they know I'll bring it back eventually and ask for it to be replaced.

I might request that I get the old one if they replace it so I can give the old CF sheeting a go over it and see what it looks like.
Thanks for the tip. I will bring it up during my next service too. Do you know if they had to order in a replacement or did they have it in stock?

That's a great idea on the CF wrap. 3M Di-Noc ftw.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
LCI Lights
Has anyone upgraded their lights to the LCI "swooped" style? If so, is there much messing around installing them? Any before and after photos on a Titan Silver?

Steering Wheel Trim

Try getbmwparts.com

Check BMW the performance catalogue under E82 and look for the wheel. They have an alcantara wheel sans flashy lights for $550US. There is also the christmas tree version. There is thread somewhere on a DIY installation of the wheel. Google it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #17
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Thanks Gazz.

The SA has agreed to give me the steering wheel trim now that it has been replaced under warranty, but with one catch. They have to hold onto it for three months in case BMW want to review the faulty part (or something along those lines). Not a problem, I'll wait.