BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Can You Disable the Adaptive Transmission?

Can you permanently disable this?

Call me crazy, but i have been doing the adaptive transmission reset regularly now for three months. Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored.

I was extremely skeptical at first, but now i'm a believer that this works. I've been doing this once a week for months now. After I do it the car is a bit more raw and aggressive. The sound is definitely more noticeable and the car is much more responsive.

This generally lasts for a few days over the weekend. Once the work week starts, i'm in bumper to bumper traffic in 2 to 3rd gear most of the time.

I'm convinced that my car's adaptive transmission thinks i'm an 80 year old granny and dials down the settings.

I'm not sure if my AA tune is making this more noticeable than usual.

I must disable this.
      07-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
work week starts, i'm in bumper to bumper traffic in 2 to 3rd gear most of the time.

I'm convinced that my car's adaptive transmission thinks i'm an 80 year old granny and dials down the settings.

I'm not sure if my AA tune is making this more noticeable than usual.

I must disable this.
I have to agree... I have always had issue with this transmission and learned of this before the AA tune.

If I reset it as JC mentions above, it feels great and shifts solid, like you would expect. But after a few days, the computer seems to re-learn and the "soft" and often strange shift points are back. Occasional first gear up to 2600 on a light pedal in first or second, "searching for the next gear" and sometimes more.. The problem is that it's intermittent and not predictable. Throw it into manual mode, shift it and no problem..

If anything the AA tune made the acceleration more predictable, but I would love for it to shift predictably and tuned to the style of my driving without resetting it..

Like mentioned above, I get on the car hard at times, with no real clues that anything "adaptive" is being stored.

Curious indeed...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

"Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored."

Does this work with the key fob in my pocket and not in the dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
reason #42038 to get a Manual gearbox :P

(sorry....i know the gearbox wars are irritating...but i can't imagine dealing with stuff like "adaptive transmission")
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
reason #42038 to get a Manual gearbox :P

(sorry....i know the gearbox wars are irritating...but i can't imagine dealing with stuff like "adaptive transmission")
I guess you don't.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocHermit(2) View Post
"Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored."

Does this work with the key fob in my pocket and not in the dashboard?
I believe in the dash only.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

jclaib7 "Call me crazy, but i have been doing the adaptive transmission reset regularly now for three months. Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored."

I have not driven the car since performing this procedure but I did notice a change in the idle. I was just wondering about the final step "then push the...". I have not seen that anywhere else. Does this complete the operation?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:

Call me crazy, but i have been doing the adaptive transmission reset regularly now for three months. Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored.

I was extremely skeptical at first, but now i'm a believer that this works.
Thanks. You've explained why my trans shifted so much better after an unrelated dealer visit.

I to would like to deactivate this permanently. In the meantime...

What "button"?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Thanks. You've explained why my trans shifted so much better after an unrelated dealer visit.

I to would like to deactivate this permanently. In the meantime...

What "button"?
The "START" "STOP" button.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocHermit(2) View Post
jclaib7 "Call me crazy, but i have been doing the adaptive transmission reset regularly now for three months. Key in, push the button once, and then floor the accelerator for 45 seconds, then push the start button with the accelerator still floored."

I have not driven the car since performing this procedure but I did notice a change in the idle. I was just wondering about the final step "then push the...". I have not seen that anywhere else. Does this complete the operation?
I guess so but have not seen anything technical from BMW that actually details the process. It's what I read in another thread a few months ago so I've been doing it. Works for me. I love the way the car drives for roughly two days and then "calmer" settings seem to start kicking in.

Believe me I was skeptical and figured it was just my butt dyno or placebo affect but after a LONG 3 month trial, I believe it does work.

Remember that I have an AA tune which changes the throttle response so it might be more noticeable on my car as compared to stock.
      07-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
I guess so but have not seen anything technical from BMW that actually details the process. It's what I read in another thread a few months ago so I've been doing it. Works for me. I love the way the car drives for roughly two days and then "calmer" settings seem to start kicking in.

Believe me I was skeptical and figured it was just my butt dyno or placebo affect but after a LONG 3 month trial, I believe it does work.

Remember that I have an AA tune which changes the throttle response so it might be more noticeable on my car as compared to stock.
It's not you.. It does work..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

It works for the normal automatic, not the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 MT E82

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
That is not true, it works for the DCT as well, where are getting this information?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've tried on my DCT, it didn't seem to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

How long does the computer stay in "learn" mode after the reset? Couldn't you just drive it like you stole it for a week to "set" the learning and keep it at its most aggressive state?

Seems dumb that BMW would allow it to soften without you wanting it to.

#6MT4EVA (jk...)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you sure you did it correctly? I've done it multiple times on my '11 DCT. They say it takes 30 seconds, but mine seemed more like 45...though I may have been counting fast. Regardless, you will hear a quiet (but audible) clicking sound when the process has finished. This will reset the "learned behavior" of the driver that is stored on the key fob.

The process definitely works on the DCT...how much it helps the DCT lag problem is debatable..

Mine definitely has better throttle response after performing this process, but it is far from a fix for the dct issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz135 View Post
That is not true, it works for the DCT as well, where are getting this information?
Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure you did it correctly? I've done it multiple times on my '11 DCT. They say it takes 30 seconds, but mine seemed more like 45...though I may have been counting fast. Regardless, you will hear a quiet (but audible) clicking sound when the process has finished. This will reset the "learned behavior" of the driver that is stored on the key fob.

The process definitely works on the DCT...how much it helps the DCT lag problem is debatable..

Mine definitely has better throttle response after performing this process, but it is far from a fix for the dct issues.
Yet another BMW thing which is variable car to car, causing disagreement. One issue is that, for some people, the adaptive software has adapted to their driving style in a way which is very close to the default, after a reset. So they don't notice a change.

I also suspect that the nature of the hardware and the software has evolved over time.

The bottom line is that some people will notice a significant change, some won't. Some will like the change, some won't. All this may change with different transmissions, too. While it's true that some may carry out the procedure incorrectly, that's not the only reason for disagreement.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Yet another BMW thing which is variable car to car, causing disagreement. One issue is that, for some people, the adaptive software has adapted to their driving style in a way which is very close to the default, after a reset. So they don't notice a change.

I also suspect that the nature of the hardware and the software has evolved over time.

The bottom line is that some people will notice a significant change, some won't. Some will like the change, some won't. All this may change with different transmissions, too. While it's true that some may carry out the procedure incorrectly, that's not the only reason for disagreement.
So back to the point, how do I murder rage kill the adaptive transmission forever. Death to it!

Just point me to the fuse and i'll yank that sucker and stomp on it.
      07-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I tried it for 45 seconds and heard the click so it does work after all. I guess I only tried for 30 before. Don't know if it really did anything or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
jmz135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried it for 45 seconds and heard the click so it does work after all. I guess I only tried for 30 before. Don't know if it really did anything or not.
I'm glad you got it working.

The main difference I see is the time it takes to re-engage the gears after slowing down. My biggest gripe with my DCT is that when I'm slowing down and then, instead of stopping, I step on the gas there can be a full second where nothing happens and my car just sits there. Then it shoots forward at 3000 rpms. Doing this reset seems to reduce the amount of lag time and smooths out the throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

If I floor it I'll max out at 155 within 45 sec ??? ...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
If I floor it I'll max out at 155 within 45 sec ??? ...

From the posts, I'm pretty sure this is done with the car on but the engine not on.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0